Summit Air current ramp wait times (1.5-2 yrs.)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Summit Air current ramp wait times (1.5-2 yrs.)

Post by jp7500 »

Just wondering if this is how long people are currently waiting for flying positions in other parts of the country?
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Summit Air current ramp wait times (1.5-2 yrs.)

Post by Black_Tusk »

I waited zero days... Mind you that was two years ago when things were not as good as they are now.

In the same amount of time someone would be working the ramp at Summit, I started with 200 hours, got an ATPL and now work at Jazz.

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Last edited by Ancient on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Ancient wrote:Wow Jazz.
They'll hire just about anybody with a pulse and a license!

Anyway, back to Summit, 1.5 to 2 years is a really long time to be on the ramp. Just enough time to forget how to fly.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Why spend any time on the Summit ramp, when Calm Air just placed an ad looking for 6 ATR f/o's and the requirements are extremely low.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Ancient wrote:Wow Jazz.
To each their own.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

My $.02...I've never seen as many job posts on here as there are this week. Waiting two years on the ground while pushing a broom/driving a forklift/whatever is a waste of your training. There's gotta be flying jobs straight off the bat.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Yeah, things have really picked up. 5 years ago, an ATR position would not have been available to low time guys. It does seem like a pilot's market out there. I'd try for a direct to flying job, but if nothing bites, get a ground job that has a clear path to the cockpit. I spent a year working on the ground, it was fun and the time went by quickly. Then i got into a right seat on a 704 turboprop. I wouldn't take any flying job either, time on the ground at a blue chip operation is well worth it if it means you avoid flying for a bad Navajo operator. That being said, it's a good climate right now for great direct entry flying jobs. Good luck!

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I think for the first time ever, I can finally agree with the "why work the ramp, you're a Pilot" crowd!
I've kept my finger on the pulse of the industry since 1990, and I think there are more jobs now available than there ever has been!
I think the companies like Tindi and Summit, that have traditionally hired to the flight line via the ramp, are going to have a hard time finding staff under this new job market environment. I saw it briefly in 2006-2007 when these companies started to hire rampies over the phone, which was previously unheard of as you had to move up there with no promises and show up on their doorstep every month for a year with a CV before they hired you!
I don't believe this is necessary anymore, with all the opportunities that out there at the moment, however these two companies have really cool aircraft that do some really cool work, and if that is what you want to do, I guess you still have to bite the "rampie bullet" and go giv'er on the ramp/dock for a year or two until they check you out in their Twins...or go fly a Cessna on floats some where until they change their hiring practice, which I believe will happen, eventually.

Keep the dirty side down.
AH6-Overwatch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AH6-Overwatch »

Black_Tusk wrote:I waited zero days... Mind you that was two years ago when things were not as good as they are now.

In the same amount of time someone would be working the ramp at Summit, I started with 200 hours, got an ATPL and now work at Jazz.
Wow we're proud of you

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Why hate on him? Sounds like he did quite well and is just trying to offer some advice. At least he's not sounding like most douches (Doc) on the subject.

sstocker31
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sstocker31 »

Advise.....

Don't waste your time working the ramp for this outfit.
The reason for this is, most of the work this company does is for companys that require the Bars Standards https://flightsafety.org/bars/bar-standard/ and the pilot flight requirements are far in excess of what a "rampie" would have.....

The smallest aircraft they have is a Dornier 228 and alot of the work they do requires the bars minimums as well. Summit really doesn't have smaller aircraft, or the kind of work that a rampie could jump in and go.
You'll spend two years on the ramp and then quit and be no further ahead.

Go get some PIC on a float plane, or work at an outfit that isn't bound to the BARS requirements and you'll be further ahead.

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

Is this a common problem with most of the larger operators in the north? 1.5-2 years is a long time to wait for a position to open up.

LTA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LTA »

I think they way the industry is going they wait times will come down. The way that JAZZ and sunwing are stripping flight schools means less pilots to go around. I think you just need to stay positive and maybe commit to a company that you will be able to grow within.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Regardless if the wait times come down, if the entry level aircraft is one that requires an ATPL to be a captain AND the majority of flying is for BARS or Contrails customers, it's realistically not a place you can grow within if you're a 200 hour wonder. You'll (probably) never be able to get an ATPL (even with PICUS) and even if you did, you wouldn't have the experience to fly for most of the customers. Far better to pursue one of the MANY entry level PIC jobs available right now, get some good time and experience and an ATPL and then if you wish, pursue that type of job.
In the last number of decades, it has never been easier than it is right now for a low time pilot to get good experience. You're foolish not to take advantage. Strike while the iron is hot.

Return to “Employment Forum”