AVCANADA

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Wilderness North Air
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Does any one have any insight into Wilderness North Air? Schedule, morale, pay, and such? Do they provide accommodation (in Canada and in Indonesia)? Differences between working for them in Canada and Indonesia? Do you need to live in Thunder Bay?

I have some friends that work in Indonesia - it sounds like contracts and such can change very quickly. Does anyone know how stable their Indonesia operations are? ie Is there much chance they will suddenly end?

Post subject: Re: Wilderness North Air
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:06 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Same questions for me, anybody has some answers?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:08 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

I worked for Wilderness North for almost 8 years and it was the best job I ever had. Schedule was always 50/50 time on/off. I worked both 3 week/3 weeks (Canada) and 1 month/1 month (Indonesia) rotations.

They provide accommodations both in Canada and Indonesia while working. You can live anywhere you want on your days off. We had pilots from Newfoundland, Manitoba, and I lived overseas on my days off. For Canada ops you were responsible for getting yourself to Thunder Bay. For Indonesia they pay for your flights there and back to your home.

For Indo ops I only worked at the Borneo base but found it very enjoyable. Typical day was breakfast by the pool, your driver picks you up and takes you to the airport where your plane is loaded, fueled, and ready to go. You do 1 or 2 trips a day and often have days when they are no flights planned. It's not a job for time builders I'd say. I was just adding up my logbook and flew less than 100 hours in the previous 6 months in Indo.

I really have no idea about contract stability but I believe the operation is a project of the office the President of Indo so there is some clout behind it.

For salary you'd have to ask them for specifics because I think everyone's different based on experience. For Indo there is a good flat salary. Then you get $30/day per diem which you can bank almost all of because the hotel gives you breakfast and dinner and lunch costs a dollar or two. There is also a profit sharing scheme based on how much the company flies but I don't think that netted us too much. As the operation matures and expands I imagine that might be more lucrative.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:12 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks!