How tough is the Canadian job market really?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Alex_DE
Rank 0
Rank 0

How tough is the Canadian job market really?

#1 Post by Alex_DE » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:00 am

Hi everyone,

new poster, so apologies if this is in the wrong forum or something.

I was hoping to pick your brains on current trends in the Canadian aviation job market, and to get your opinions on what my chances might be like there.

First things first: I've read the sticky, and I *will* have the right to work in Canada.

A little background: I'm from Germany originally, but have lived in many different countries over the years. Three years ago, while working in Asia, I met a lovely Canadian girl and have been crazy about her ever since. We got married a year a and half ago and we moved to the UK together, where I am flying the A320 for a mid-sized British airline.

Enter Brexit, which has thrown into doubt whether I will still be allowed to live and work here in two years' time. Even if I am allowed to stay post-Brexit, the Brits have so badly shot themselves in both feet that the country is likely to become a very unpleasant place to live. I am also concerned that my leisure-travel focused employer would fare badly in the economic upheaval it will bring with it. We're currently looking at various options (going elsewhere in Europe, back to Asia or to Canada - the Mrs. misses home) and I was hoping you could chime in with your thoughts on my chances of finding flying work in Canada. If Canada looks realistic, we'll apply for PR for me this summer (should take about a year to come through).

Here's what I've got:
German ATPL
Fluent in English, German and Spanish, with reasonable-but-rusty French
1800 hours total time
1500 hours on the A320 family

My employer wants to send me on an A330 CCQ this summer, with mixed-fleet flying thereafter, so by the time my PR comes through next year I would probably have something upwards of 2500 hours total time, with 1700 to 2000 hours or so on the A320 and 300 to 500 hours on the A330.

Assuming my PR comes through and I convert my German license to a Canadian one, how would you rate my chances in the Canadian job market given those numbers? Would I have a shot at getting into Air Canada or Air Transat given the A330 experience, or are they basically closed shops? What would you do in my position?

Thanks in advance for any and all insight you can offer.
---------- ADS -----------

FL320
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How tough is the Canadian job market really?

#2 Post by FL320 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Last edited by FL320 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#3 Post by fish4life » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 pm

The only thing that might hold you back here is the lack of PIC time

Alex_DE
Rank 0
Rank 0

#4 Post by Alex_DE » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:08 pm

FL320 wrote:Get the PR as soon as you can and then when you see the pilot job posting on Air Canada's website send your CV. In the mean time send your CV to Air Transat. Make sure your CV shows a postal address and a phone number in Canada. Since they have A330s and soon A321s/320 they will probably call you for an interview. They are still hiring as we speek.
Keep in mind that you will be earning $CDN and the salaries here are pretty low if you compare to the rest of the world (and taxes a comparable to Europe...), it's a real joke.
I think a Ryanair FO earns more than a FO at Air Canada...at least for the first 4 years.
It might be ok only if you plan on retiring here and spend half year in the shitty weather and the snow. You should really think about that before leaving Europe.
Good to hear that AC and TS would in principle be interested.

Comparing salaries is always difficult, because the gap between the top line and the bottom line can be very different depending on where you are. I would assume that the majors have benefits that come with the job. Ryanair's salaries may look very decent, but you're paid as a self-employed contractor, which means no employee protections and that any sort of insurance is up to you. You need to pay your own social insurance contributions, pay for your own medical insurance, and make your own pension arrangements. If you do all that properly, your bottom line looks a lot worse than you bargained for.

In terms of shitty weather, pretty much anywhere is an upgrade from England!

fish4life wrote:The only thing that might hold you back here is the lack of PIC time
How much do you reckon I ought to have?

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#5 Post by fish4life » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 pm

I think on the AC application 500MPIC is a selection that boosts your points. Transat I'm
Not sure about and if I remember right WestJet is 1000PIC OR MPIC.

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#6 Post by altiplano » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:04 pm

TC ATPL is a requirement also.

You should see what you need to get that because without it I doubt you'll even get an interview.

Eric Janson
Rank 7
Rank 7

#7 Post by Eric Janson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 am

@Alex_DE

Don't make hasty decisions based on fear of things that haven't happened.

BREXIT is the best thing that could have happened to the UK. Don't pay any attention to the fear mongering by disenchanted 'Remainers'.

It may take a few years but in the long term the UK will be infinitely better off outside the EU. I'm not even sure there will even be an EU in a few years - that's a good thing imho.

The chance that you will be forced to leave is virtually zero - I'm a British passport holder living in a different EU country and I'm not worried.

If you have a stable job in the UK then that's a better option than starting at the bottom in Canada imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#8 Post by co-joe » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 am

Alex_DE wrote:Hi everyone,

new poster, so apologies if this is in the wrong forum or something.
That's great start to being Canadian right there. Sorry, excuse me sorry, pardon me... :)

Return to “Employment Forum”