Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Message
Author
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3198
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#26 Post by co-joe » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 am

Your A320 time is worthless as jet time, but total time is total time. Go King Air right seat, at 1500 hours if you're an ok dude go to Jazz or Encore or take the upgrade, then AC or WS. Pretty straight forward career path. A320 time is no short cut, but time is time, and there's a shortage of people here with time.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#27 Post by Back2Can » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I ended up staying at my current job. Looks like the industry in Canada picked up since I posted last. Will I be competitive for LCC job like Sunwing or Swoop with the following? Is AC out of the question?
1700TT
1500 on Airbus 320

No ATP because only have SIC time on 320.

I take it from the previous comment(s) that not having NG rating is O.K.? I only have the 320 TR.

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------
  

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 am

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#28 Post by FOD_Vacuum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am

It’s funny because all my copilots that plan on going to Jazz or Encore at 1000 hours or low time pilots wanting to go to Asia without the ATPL will and have shot themselves in the foot because they can’t get the upgrade to Captain. You are one of them apparently who did that. I can’t stress enough how important it is to get at LEAST the bare minimum pic time before moving into big metal.

No offence, but you still seem to have little or no knowledge of how the Canadian industry works. It’s not like Asia where you fly an A320 at 250 hours...the only operator that flies A320 is AC and will soon be Air Transat with their A321 Neos. You say you love flying A320 but want to move back to Canada? Gotta prioritize here, what’s more important? Fly A320? There’s lots of jobs in the world that are hiring A320 experiences FOs. Wanna come back to Canada? Sorry mate, there simply is now direct entry A320 jobs unless you have fair amount of time and ATPL and get picked up by AC. Do you have the right to work in the US? Maybe apply to Spirit or allegiant...

Think twice about going to swoop. Not only will you be viewed as one who gladly undermines the hard earned negotiated contracts at Westjet, but your peers will look at you and think not so highly of you. They also pay horrendously and work you way more. I do not respect anyone who goes there. Either way, you almost certainly need an ATPL to get on with Swoop or Sunwing and to also stand out on the resume pile.

Apply for a right seat king air job and get quickly upgraded to captain, build some pic hours and get your ATPL. Maybe apply at Fligh Exec or a corporate jet FO spot that lets you go captain without ATPL. Only then, once you have an ATPL, considerable amount of PIC time and the RIGHT pic time (704, 705) will AC potentially look at you with 4000TT ish. Good luck

Have you looked at any other better paying A320 gigs around Asia that apparently pay an arm and leg???
---------- ADS -----------
  

DrSpaceman
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:03 am

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#29 Post by DrSpaceman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 pm

It's pretty obvious he's a troll, all his responses were perfectly tailored to get the maximum reaction while seeming naive. that last bit about swoop a year later is pretty obvious though...
---------- ADS -----------
  

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#30 Post by Back2Can » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

FOD_Vacuum wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:57 am
It’s funny because all my copilots that plan on going to Jazz or Encore at 1000 hours or low time pilots wanting to go to Asia without the ATPL will and have shot themselves in the foot because they can’t get the upgrade to Captain. You are one of them apparently who did that. I can’t stress enough how important it is to get at LEAST the bare minimum pic time before moving into big metal.

No offence, but you still seem to have little or no knowledge of how the Canadian industry works. It’s not like Asia where you fly an A320 at 250 hours...the only operator that flies A320 is AC and will soon be Air Transat with their A321 Neos. You say you love flying A320 but want to move back to Canada? Gotta prioritize here, what’s more important? Fly A320? There’s lots of jobs in the world that are hiring A320 experiences FOs. Wanna come back to Canada? Sorry mate, there simply is now direct entry A320 jobs unless you have fair amount of time and ATPL and get picked up by AC. Do you have the right to work in the US? Maybe apply to Spirit or allegiant...

Think twice about going to swoop. Not only will you be viewed as one who gladly undermines the hard earned negotiated contracts at Westjet, but your peers will look at you and think not so highly of you. They also pay horrendously and work you way more. I do not respect anyone who goes there. Either way, you almost certainly need an ATPL to get on with Swoop or Sunwing and to also stand out on the resume pile.

Apply for a right seat king air job and get quickly upgraded to captain, build some pic hours and get your ATPL. Maybe apply at Fligh Exec or a corporate jet FO spot that lets you go captain without ATPL. Only then, once you have an ATPL, considerable amount of PIC time and the RIGHT pic time (704, 705) will AC potentially look at you with 4000TT ish. Good luck

Have you looked at any other better paying A320 gigs around Asia that apparently pay an arm and leg???
All those high paying jobs require 500 PIC on type, which I can't get at my current airline because there is no upgrade for expat unless you pay for it.
Does Sunwing and Swoop really need an ATP? Aren't they LCCs why would they care? Are there any jet jobs I could get with my hours?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
CdnPilotsalary
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:17 am

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#31 Post by CdnPilotsalary » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Back2Can wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm
All those high paying jobs require 500 PIC on type, which I can't get at my current airline because there is no upgrade for expat unless you pay for it.
Does Sunwing and Swoop really need an ATP? Aren't they LCCs why would they care? Are there any jet jobs I could get with my hours?
???
---------- ADS -----------
  

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#32 Post by Back2Can » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:47 pm

At my airline the cost for command upgrade training is not paid for by the company
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18903
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#33 Post by Cat Driver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Flying a jet has always been my dream and I'm not sure I will enjoy/be happy with flying props now that I've had a taste of the big metal.

He/she has no clue what a pilot is.
---------- ADS -----------
  
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#34 Post by Back2Can » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Cat Driver wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm
He/she has no clue what a pilot is.
I don't see how wanting to fly big jets makes me not a pilot. If 10 years ago all airliners were flown by computers, and the only pilot jobs left over were bush flying, then at least half of you wouldn't be on this forum because you wouldve chose a different career. Thats the truth

I didn't mind flying Cessna for training but I would not be happy doing that my entire life!!! My dream was to fly the Boeing or Airbus
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 18903
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#35 Post by Cat Driver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:42 pm

I didn't mind flying Cessna for training but I would not be happy doing that my entire life!!! My dream was to fly the Boeing or Airbus
There is nothing wrong with wanting to fly a Boeing or Airbus, however flying a Turbo Prop is a far different experience as you get to do some real interesting flying.

Of all the flying I have done my favorite airplane is a Turbo Commander 690B as it was a simply awesome machine.

Flying into deep narrow valleys using flight idle on a slam dunk approach is truly flying, something a jet just cannot do. :mrgreen:

Come back here in fifty years and let us know how exciting an Airbus A320 is. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------
  
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no


After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#36 Post by CanadianPilotQc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am

Nicky Nick 2.0. smh.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:18 am

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#37 Post by JohnnyHotRocks » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:28 pm

CanadianPilotQc wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am
Nicky Nick 2.0. smh.
Hahahahahaha he's back!
---------- ADS -----------
  

seafeye
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 12:10 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#38 Post by seafeye » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Back2Can wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 pm
Cat Driver wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm
He/she has no clue what a pilot is.
I don't see how wanting to fly big jets makes me not a pilot. If 10 years ago all airliners were flown by computers, and the only pilot jobs left over were bush flying, then at least half of you wouldn't be on this forum because you wouldve chose a different career. Thats the truth

I didn't mind flying Cessna for training but I would not be happy doing that my entire life!!! My dream was to fly the Boeing or Airbus

I don’t get it. I only have about 800 hours in the Airbus. But about 7000 in CRJ’s.
You don’t fly an Airbus. You watch it steadily till cruising altitude then stare into the abyss for hours. Then wake up and monitor it during the descent. Fly the airplane?
What’s really your dream? Walking the airport terminal in your pilot costume? Telling your buddies you fly heavy metal?
You feel entitled for that CDN Airbus job because you made the sacrifice to get a type rating then suffered for low pay and life in China.
This industry isn’t easy. There are no shortcuts. Some may have won the lottery but for the rest of us it’s about doing your time. Fly a Cessna. Meet real people. Fly an airplane solo in IMC regularly, on VFR days look out the window. Consider yourself lucky if someone lets you “downgrade” to fly their turboprop.
---------- ADS -----------
  
For the third friggin time....Flt 124 at 24oh!

Pacqing
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#39 Post by Pacqing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:26 am

Well put, monitor till cruise altitude then stare out the window for hrs then monitor till landing, I cannot understand why a lot want to fly the heavy metal as this is what you do. but as you said walk into terminal in uniform and tell you buds you work for ???///??? might the the reason for some.
I always go back to flying the -6 along the ice road to Tuk and going down so the wheels were over the ice and wings just above the snowbanks on either side, now that was fun flying.
---------- ADS -----------
  

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#40 Post by atphat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am

Pacqing wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:26 am
I cannot understand why a lot want to fly the heavy metal as this is what you do.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

You know what else you do? Make probably 5 times what you did flying the -6. Best job stability in the industry. Fly very safe machines. Good schedule. Leave places that start in Fort or end in Lake. Get a pension (some). ect, ect.

I think you'll find as you progress though the industry doing these "cool" hands and feet jobs are actually probably some of the worst jobs in the industry compensation and schedule wise. Which in the end is why I think most pilots only care about 2 things. How much do I make and how much time do I have to spend at work to get it.

Airline flying isn't for everyone. But nothing is for everyone.

Bring on the boredom!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Pacqing
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

#41 Post by Pacqing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:18 am

That following the ice road was in 1975 and I've moved on. If you are flying heave metal of course you have to justify it. A lot start out in the North living in crew accommodations or you buy a place and live there for a few or more years, possibly have some of the best flying,make lifelong friends, usually spend most nights home but maybe not make the big iron money. If your endgame is the heavies and you do get there, you made good cash eventually, spend more than a few nights in hotels, probably live in the city or commute and the flying is? well the flying has already been discussed. Funny racket eh?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”