Tindi Medevac?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Tindi Medevac?

#1 Post by Invertago » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Just looking for info on the king air medevac job. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off rotations with accommodations and looks like jump seat travel? Anyone have any info on life at Tindi? I've never done medevacs, is it a rolling duty day? Do you sit at the airport all the time or run around town with a cell phone and be airborne in an hour deal? Any inside info is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

digits_
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Tindi Medevac?

#2 Post by digits_ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Invertago wrote:I've never done medevacs
Unless there is some sort of shift system in place, I'd recommend staying away from medevac (in general, not Tindi in particular). Especially in the current hiring climate.

You might like it initially, but you'll hate it and yourself pretty quickly.

valleyboy
Rank 3
Rank 3

#3 Post by valleyboy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 am

Been there and done that but in my case it was paid seat by Tindi from anywhere in canada but don't let the 2 on and 2 off fool you and this goes for any rotational gig anywhere. it's 16 on and 12 off because you travel on your days off. Standby travel (which jump seating is) out of YK is hit and miss and now your rotation is in the hands of the standby travel gods.
They had a rolling 24/7 system - for the 2 weeks you would be working you way around the clock with the 8 hours of rack time floating with you (this is a generic issue with medevac companies and few have 2 shifts to cover 24 hrs. Like any other carrier they will try and screw with your schedule as well. I liked Tindi but don't kid yourself - unless you want to move to YK and it's is a good place to live, it will wear you down and unless you are in Edmonton or possibly Calgary the commute is a full day and then some, sometimes.
The only thing that will protect you a little is if you are working under 704, if it's a 703 thing they have you by the balls when it comes to end of 14 days, Oh did I mention they don't consider commute part of you duty cycle.

Having said all that and if you go in with your eyes open, it's a job and a decent company but the life style of doing it rotationally is going to eat away at you. Moving to YK would make it a lot more tolerable.

young grasshopper
Rank 4
Rank 4

#4 Post by young grasshopper » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:32 am

Things have changed somewhat Valleyboy...

-Rotational travel is NOT standby travel (all tickets are confirmed)
-For the most part, your rotation is your rotation. Yes, sometimes flexibility is asked of you...but it goes both ways.
-Once you arrive in YZF (from your travel to start your rotation), you're given 9 hours to rest prior to going 'on-call'.
-depending on what you work out with them, some guys work 12 days, plus one day of travel on each end, then get 14 days off. If you did work 14 days, plus one day of travel on each end, with 12 days off- you'd be a tad richer as they pay a daily rate (and deadhead days are included).

Like Valleyboy said, I also enjoyed my time there. Good people, the brand new 250's we're great to fly, and although the medevac world isn't for everyone- it's a great spot to work (the Company). Definitely is best to live in YZF...but some prefer the rotational life. YZF-based crews work 8 on, 4 off; plus are paid a Northern-living allowance. Crews are relatively busy, with YZF-based crews flying about 500/year. Rotational guys would be a bit less I imagine.

PM if you have any other questions!

JB
YG

Return to “Employment Forum”