Island Costal Aviation

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Island Costal Aviation

Post by AirDoan »

Good morning aviators

I'm on my way for a chat with Tom at Island Costal out of CYPK about flying for him. I was actually contacted by one of his people without my applying to anything. Not sure where they got my email address from, but I'm not complaining. Any hint or info on him or the company I should know? I found an old thread on here talking about them as a training unit but not as an employer.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Island Costal Aviation

Post by 7ECA »

Island Coastal is an FTU. You must have an instructor rating, otherwise I have no idea why Tom would be hiring you...?

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I've met him once. Great guy! Very passionate about what he does and I've only heard good things about his floatplane ratings. If you don't have a flight instructor rating, but you do have a lot of float time, then you can still teach float ratings. He may be after either of those. Good luck!

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I wouldn't count on it. Tom does all his own float flying. Who knows, maybe he's gonna hire someone else to take up a bit of slack.

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

No, he knew how much time I had and that I did not have an instructor rating nor the funds to do much more training (though that did not come up until i was there). I'm not too sure what the motive was. They sought me out from my resume posted here so it kinda felt like they were selling me on doing an instructor rating for 10k, then potentially working as an instructor. He said there is no way he's going to hire anything but a high-time float guy for those courses. Honestly they spent more time asking me about the training I did in Arizona than anything career related. Either way there was never a job offer on the table which was disappointing as I felt misled. I would never call 1 day and $250 spent on a lead a waste, but that convo could have been done over the phone. This felt like they just wanted to hard sell me......

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Speaking of knowing how to fly floats you should have asked him where he got his experience to teach floats.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Cat Driver wrote:Speaking of knowing how to fly floats you should have asked him where he got his experience to teach floats.
Since I'm not likely to talk to him again any time soon, do tell!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

He taught himself.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Employment Forum”