Rip Van Winkle YYJ

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Argus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rip Van Winkle YYJ

Post by Argus »

I’m considering getting back into flying after a long hiatus, but having been out of the game for some time I could use a bit of perspective.

Long story short: 17 years ago I was flying scheduled service when I left the industry to become a full-time single dad, and small business owner. I’ve since remarried, and my independent teen no longer needs dad around all the time. My business is doing well, pretty much running itself.

Until recently, I didn’t think there'd be many opportunities for someone like myself to get back into aviation. But seems I’ve been asleep like Rip Van Winkle, having awoken to a whole new reality where even low-time pilots are in demand. Perhaps the hours I logged many moons ago would be of value to a number of operators. (ATPL & 4,000+ hours — 2,600 PIC; 2,000 multi; 600 multi-PIC; 400 jet; 1,300 floats.)

Right now I’m getting back in the books, renewing my IFR, and plan to send out resumes shortly. Before doing so, however, I’d appreciate some perspective on how realistic my wish list is:

• Preference #1: Full- or part-time, based in YYJ, home every night. (Not interested in ever living out of a carry-on again.)
• Preference #2: Rotating 2 weeks on/off, or 1 month on/off.
• Preference #3: Seasonal work to a maximum of 4 months away from home.

What I can offer in return is professionalism, a keen appreciation for customer service, and a willingness to stay put for years. I’m not interested in flying for mainline carriers, or their regional partners, and I’m not overly particular about what I fly. Rather, I’m seeking quality of life and quality of profession with a company that takes care of its employees, and has a sense of community.

Any guidance or suggestions about getting back in the saddle with such an operator would be much appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Rip Van Winkle YYJ

Post by Phlyer »

I would get in touch with Pacific Coastal. They seem to need pilots in a big way and you could be based in Victoria and home every night. You will have an extremely in-depth interview and SIM eval though so be well prepared. Cheers

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I second Pasco - they were willing to take a chance on me after I had been out of aviation for a while.

Just a couple comments.

With regard to getting current, do so prior to chatting to anyone about jobs. Also, not sure if you've been flying recreationally at all but do more than the bare minimum and have fun with it. I had been out of it for so long that I needed to re-write my PSTAR! and do a recurrent training for my flight proficiency. I then purposely took a longer than I needed training for my IFR ride. This was helpful not only for proficiency generally, but I also made the sim eval a little more straight forward (most of my IFR training was in a similar sim).

With regard to Pasco specifically and most operators generally. While most really are looking for pilots, most still do have a fair amount of applications from low time pilots. While you are definitely not low time a good attitude, generally speaking, is still necessary to get hired at decent airlines.

With Pasco specifically, they offer a YYJ base for the 1900. You won't be home every night, but, at least when I was there, the YYJ pilots would be home almost every night and have maybe a max of 3 or 4 single night overnights in a month (though usually less). The YVR pilots had a couple more, but not too much.

I've been back at it for 3 years now and really enjoy being back flying. I had to move on from Pasco as a family situation required a move east, but enjoyed my time there.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Other option is floats. All of the West Coast float operators are desperate for guys with significant ( ie over 1000 hrs) of float time. When I was teaching floats I did a flight with an airline guy that had not touched a float plane for almost 20 years. His wife bought him an hour so he could re live his youth. The hands and feet were a bit rusty but the water sense was still 100 % there and that is the part you can't really teach because it is born of experience.

Argus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Argus »

Thanks for the the thoughtful replies. Very much appreciated!

PASCO certainly sounds like a good company. Notwithstanding high turnover, there are lots of favourable posts on the forum about them as an employer. Sounds like a company where a guy could hang his hat for a while, and not be living in hotels 14 - 18 days a month.

Floats would be great, too. I flew C185, Beaver, Otter & Twin Otter for six summers up north before switching to scheduled flying. I miss it.

I've been fortunate to have access to a C172 and a Mooney in recent years, so still keeping up the hands & feet. Now working on IF proficiency and studies.

Other suggestions and advice would be most welcome.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

There's not much difference between your preference #2 and working for a major player. I work 16 days a month, on a regular 4 on, 3 off schedule, and on most day 4's, I'm usually home in the early afternoon, so I'm pretty much home 50% of the month. Not to mention all the perks (big bucks, lifetime flying benefits for the family and parents, inter-airline privileges, top notch medical benefits, first class equipment, no BS with owners or management, etc.)

You could also choose from dozens of Northern operators who will fit your preference #2 and let you rotate 2 weeks in 2 weeks out, but everything in the brackets in the paragraph above are questionable.

Floats is also a great option.

And as for preference #3, you can always shoot a resume off to Conair.

With your times, in 2017, the world is your oyster.

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

Someone should start an airline in YYJ. There's a ton of experienced pilots sitting around there that don't want to move anywhere else.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

As far as airline commuting goes, it doesn't get any easier than commuting from YYJ to YVR.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

No idea about getting work on the island, but my experience was that you have to have a job to get a job. No airlines will consider you until you have a year of flying back under your belt. not one. Not sure you are willing to make the sacrifice but once you do, literally every airline will email you for am interview.

Return to “Employment Forum”