Career move - what would you do (opinions?)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 3
Rank 3

Career move - what would you do (opinions?)

Post by 7507 »

Hello aviators, new to the site and find it full of information as I can see positive and some negative, but here goes.

I am a 48 year old that has over 25 years working experience(seniority accrued) with an aviation company in Canada.

I also have all my ratings up to the instructor rating and just over 750 hours total time. If I left now ( early retirement) I'd be penalized with a less pension. My company is affiliated with Jazz and since I've talked to a few there they hired guys with 800 hours total time on the right seat.

I make a measly 55K a year but would you leave early and try to get a job as first officer with Jazz with a reduced pension. With the quick upgrade to captain (within 3 years) you can make close to 90K which if I left now or soon as I am eligible to get a pilot position with jazz IF successful ofcourse the difference between my reduced pension and the higher salary at jazz within 3 to 5 years should justify the move.

Anyways, if you were me would you make the move? I know you start off with a shitty schedule and bottom of the seniority but at least start somewhere. If anyone has something to add please do, I'm scratching my head.

thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Career move - what would you do (opinions?)

Post by '97 Tercel »

With this new "flow" program to Air Canada from Jazz I know that a number of regional pilots have contracted the assistance of a financial advisor or accountant to determine whether certain decisions make sense for them financially.

Might be a worth it for you as well to help make the choice of career move.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

If you are making 55K / year now, with limited upward prospects, and believe the music will keep playing for the quick Jazz upgrade it may be worth the risk IMO...

You'd have to weigh out the loss you'll take on your pension long term vs. the increase wage over the next 12-15 at jazz.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

altiplano wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am If you are making 55K / year now, with limited upward prospects, and believe the music will keep playing for the quick Jazz upgrade it may be worth the risk IMO...

You'd have to weigh out the loss you'll take on your pension long term vs. the increase wage over the next 12-15 at jazz.

Even if I'm making 55K at jazz as well collect my smaller pension still beats what I'm doing now. Thanks for the comments and who knows what the future holds and life is short.

Talking to a financial advisor will help alot in deciding.

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

There is another’s ting to consider. Life is short, and money isn’t everything. What do you want to do? How much do you like your current job? How much do you think you will like being an airline pilot? All the money in the world is useless if you are unhappy with your situation. Ok, well maybe not all, but you get my point. Good luck.

Wahunga!
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I would apply go through the multi step process, see if you get an offer, then make the decision. One of my coworkers went to Jazz with less than 800 hours but all turbine multi. I'm not sure they'd actually hire you with single engine recreational flying experience. Without knowing what kind of time you have I'm not sure they'd hire you. Can you get a leave of absence to go try it out? Airline flying isn't for everyone. It looks good on paper but the reality might not be as amazing as you think it is...

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

co-joe wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:35 am I would apply go through the multi step process, see if you get an offer, then make the decision. One of my coworkers went to Jazz with less than 800 hours but all turbine multi. I'm not sure they'd actually hire you with single engine recreational flying experience. Without knowing what kind of time you have I'm not sure they'd hire you. Can you get a leave of absence to go try it out? Airline flying isn't for everyone. It looks good on paper but the reality might not be as amazing as you think it is...

Thanks for the heads up, I know airline flying is not for everyone for sure. My time in terms of multi time is about 150 out of the 700 that I have, brief float job and currently instructing. No chance of leave of absence they won't allow it where I am , lots to think about for sure. Thanks again.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I think you will need some more multi time / commercial operational experience before jazz would take you. Lots of 703/4 companies out there are looking for guys now though and you may like it more than you think.

Return to “Employment Forum”