Choosing the right job

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Choosing the right job

Post by tsukubacpe »

Hello everyone,

Just here looking for some advice from the more experienced ones. I recently finished my flight training with about 260 hours. I've started applying and got some offers for jobs. There are two offers that I'm stuck in between and here is where I need your help.

The first job is flying a Cessna 172 doing aerial survey. I like this one because I will be logging all the time as pic which will help me towards my ATPL. I don't have to relocate and the money is decent. Also, this company plans to have Navajos and king airs in the future which means an upgrade in aircraft for me.

The second job is FO on a single engine turbo prop. The lifestyle seems very fun but I know for a fact flying isn't as much. I was told somewhere under 600 hours a year.
I don't have to relocate for this job either.

Now I'm not sure how to choose which job would be best for me. Do I go with aerial surveying which will allow me to log PIC time or do I go with the job that flies less time but I have experience on a turboprop aircraft.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

WileyCoyote
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Choosing the right job

Post by WileyCoyote »

PIC is king

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Yes, PIC is king. You will be better off in the long run getting out on your own flying that 172.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Man, what a time to be a newbie. I thought my half dozen dock rat job offers after a trip 5 years ago was something to be proud of!

Do what job you think will give you the best stories to tell.

Also, do the survey job. :) The guys and gals that will be doing your hiring have been all through the ranks, and each one will know that right seat on a van doesn't really mean much when it comes to adding "Turbine time". I don't know what that operation is like but you probably wouldn't upgrade for a couple years with your time and their flying amount.

The survey job will likely give you a better experience and progression down the road. Not having to relocate would come at the expense of slower progression, but other factors matter too, like pay, contacts, your age, end career goals, etc.
Just have fun with it no matter what you do, complaining is for those that have finally made it to their career airlines. ;)

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Without a doubt take the survey job. That pic time will lead you into a twin turbine FO job later on anyways, plus you’ll have the pic time for a quick upgrade, you’ll be laughin. Best of luck.

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

Thanks for the replies guys!! Really helps make my decision a lot easier being a newbie.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

tsukubacpe wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pmAlso, this company plans to have Navajos and king airs in the future...
Don't wait for that - it might be one year, it might be 10 years. If they come and you're still there, great! If not, get a season or two of PIC time, then move on to the next step.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me "we're getting a ........". (insert cool new aeroplane) I could buy lunch.

All the more reason to choose the better company.

Think company, not aeroplane.

This is a guideline for the rest of your career.

backb0ne787
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by backb0ne787 »

Take the PIC time. There's guys that are at 4000 hour or 5000 hours flying for 705 companies that can't even apply to the WestJet mainline posting cause they don't have 1500 hours of PIC. Funny enough if you had 1500 hours of PIC in a C172, and 3000 hours total time flying a navajo, you would be qualify over and above a 4000 hour airline fo.

This industry is weird like that. Take the PIC, load up, and move up strategically. Don't rush to the next best thing, as it could take a lot longer to achieve the things you want to achieve in the industry than your peers.

tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

I am very hesitant because the other job is amazing, lifestly wise. Lots of time off in hot destinations and a seeing new places but I sit and think that it's something I don't need right now. I'm very young and maybe am opportunity like that will come in the future. I feel like the most important thing right now is the PIC time which will help me in the long run.

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

600 hours in a year is actually really decent especially for a low-timer job. Flying survey I did 200-300 a year, I don't know if your gig will get you more than 600 but if it does then take it hands down.

I'm a fan of PIC too but a quick look at the job ads section will tell you it doesn't matter much anymore for King Air/1900 etc. FOs. If I was you (assuming pay and lifestyle are roughly equal) I'd take the 172 job for a season or two and then move on. If you get to 1000 hours you should be able to get into a twin turbine pretty easily (if that's what you want) the way things are looking, and you'll have fun along the way.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There's a difference between 172 PIC and high performance turbine PIC (I'm assuming PC-12 or TBM). What is the upgrade path likely to be on the turbine single? If it takes you 2 years to upgrade, you are around 1000 on type and nearing 1500TT, fly for a year as captain and you'll have your ATPL. Now if the lifestyle is actually good, why leave?

However if you are racing to a regional airline, take the 172 job and get your PIC hours done for your ATPL, then get into a twin ASAP.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Time off in hot places? Is this a PC12 position? That's a bit different than a van, which I had assumed....

Sweatspot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sweatspot »

Take the 172 survey job for a year or two then reassess. You'll have a lot more fun and stories to tell when you're older!

Return to “Employment Forum”