New Pilots

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Pilots

Post by northernpilot2 »

Roar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:58 pm The industry is small and CP's do read these forms and with your attitude demonstrated here I can tell you if your resume came across my desk and I saw the name Sean Brown, right now it would go in the garbage bin.
If I was a CP, I personally would not jump to a conclusion that fast with just AVCANADA evidence. Im not trying to defend the OP, but Im wondering how do you know this guy is actually "Sean Brown"?? He could be an enemy trying to impersonate the real Sean Brown for all we know.
---------- ADS -----------

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

northernpilot2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:32 pm [quote=Roar post_id=<a href="tel:1022420">1022420</a> time=<a href="tel:1513465137">1513465137</a> user_id=9289]
The industry is small and CP's do read these forms and with your attitude demonstrated here I can tell you if your resume came across my desk and I saw the name Sean Brown, right now it would go in the garbage bin.
If I was a CP, I personally would not jump to a conclusion that fast with just AVCANADA evidence. Im not trying to defend the OP, but Im wondering how do you know this guy is actually "Sean Brown"?? He could be an enemy trying to impersonate the real Sean Brown for all we know.
[/quote]

Sure, I guess that could be true. It could also be true that I’m really an IA bot from North Korea trying to infiltrated the aviation industry via Avcanada :rolleyes: and since I see you joined Avcanada on Dec. 28th 2017 maybe you are “Sean Brown” now trying to cover your tracks. I can play this game all night.
The OP made some comments that were entitled and whiny for a 250hr Pilot, I urged him to think about the ramifications of his actions and since my comment and/or others, he has so far wisely heeded them as he has not persisted in this thread.
Would I really bin a resume for an Avcanada post? Probably not, but my intention was to mentor the young man using some hard realities of life.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Roar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:46 pm
northernpilot2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:32 pm [quote=Roar post_id=<a href="tel:1022420">1022420</a> time=<a href="tel:1513465137">1513465137</a> user_id=9289]
The industry is small and CP's do read these forms and with your attitude demonstrated here I can tell you if your resume came across my desk and I saw the name Sean Brown, right now it would go in the garbage bin.
Sure, I guess that could be true. It could also be true that I’m really an IA bot from North Korea trying to infiltrated the aviation industry via Avcanada :rolleyes: and since I see you joined Avcanada on Dec. 28th 2017 maybe you are “Sean Brown” now trying to cover your tracks. I can play this game all night.
The OP made some comments that were entitled and whiny for a 250hr Pilot, I urged him to think about the ramifications of his actions and since my comment and/or others, he has so far wisely heeded them as he has not persisted in this thread.
Would I really bin a resume for an Avcanada post? Probably not, but my intention was to mentor the young man using some hard realities of life.
[/quote]

Roar..you blew his cover! :lol:

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Roar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:46 pm Sure, I guess that could be true. It could also be true that I’m really an IA bot from North Korea trying to infiltrated the aviation industry via Avcanada :rolleyes: and since I see you joined Avcanada on Dec. 28th 2017 maybe you are “Sean Brown” now trying to cover your tracks. I can play this game all night.

:lol: :lol: Sorry had to chuckle. Im NOT Sean Brown trust me. You don't have to believe me now but hopefully as I make more posts in the future I can prove you wrong.

But yeah, I agree with you the OP comments are whiny and entitled. I have also run across many whiny pilots in my career. Sometimes I scratch my head and wonder why do they sign up for this profession. But anyways, that is another topic. :mrgreen:

Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2ndGenAviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 2ndGenAviator »

Don't do ramp jobs if you are a CPL and are promised a promotion to the flight line if they like you enough. Do the ramp job if that's a job you actually wouldn't mind doing. Whinny and entitled? I don't think so. A CPL is a CPL and thats the end of it. Once you have it you can fly people for money. Don't settle for the opportunity to maybe possibly be able to fly people for money. If they actually need people they will hire you. If they don't. F*** em.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Don't do ramp jobs if you are a CPL and are promised a promotion to the flight line if they like you enough. Do the ramp job if that's a job you actually wouldn't mind doing. Whinny and entitled? I don't think so. A CPL is a CPL and thats the end of it. Once you have it you can fly people for money. Don't settle for the opportunity to maybe possibly be able to fly people for money. If they actually need people they will hire you. If they don't. F*** em.
Wow:

A CPL is a piece of paper that confirms you have met the minimum requirements to get the license.

I have flown with people who hold a CPL that I wouldn't let fly my airplane , never mind allowing them to fly customers for my company.
If they actually need people they will hire you. If they don't. F*** em.
That statement shows an attitude that would be the deciding factor to not hire such an individual, I would park an airplane before risking my company's reputation with a pilot that did not meet the standards of flying skills and decision making skills I look for when hiring pilots.

The above comments are my personal opinion and only that.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Andjam wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 am As a fresh CPL, I would not have been ready to go immediately into a right seat airline position. I hadn’t yet encountered any real-world experience to really develop my decision-making skills yet.
You don't have much to worry about your decision making skills as green F/O.
It basically all fall down to the guy/gal seating on your left, unless incapacitation of some sort.

Andjam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andjam »

Last edited by Andjam on Fri May 17, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Brown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sean Brown »

hey guys, here is a little update. I decided to join one of the Pilot in Waiting programs last year and, and its been already a couple of months that I'm in flight line. Just want to say thanks to all of you who did reply to this post. it was a great pleasure to have this discussion with you guys which changed my point of view.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Congrats on getting flying, I bet you made some good friends already along the way to it.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Sean, ask ourself if trucki ng companies put a newly minted class 1 driver on the road, or does he swamp or a while? I seem to recall an accident about a year ago with a novice driver, and now mandatory extra training is required... humboldt anyone.

It is a license to learn

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Btw my last post as a cp, the rampies couldn't believe that the CP fuelled, towed, loaded the plane or whatever to get the show on the road. Many hands make for a light load, if your not prepared to lend a hand...... bugger off

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

fish4life wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 am You seem very entitled and it’s probably a big reason you won’t get a job. I hope you realize that almost every first job flying requires you to do more than just flying. If I was looking to hire you I wouldn’t have any confidence that you would crawl under the plane on some muddy sloppy parking spot to unload bags from the pod or after spending a night on a reserve spend 3 hours shovelling snow away from the plane. Flying up north involves a lot more than flying, I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to come up with a plan and a solution to a problem that had nothing to do with actually flying the airplane. These are some of the reasons companies get guys to work the ramp, it might not make them a better pilot but if they see someone that just bitches and whines anytime something doesn’t go smoothly then they don’t want them to be problem solving up north.
+1 and it pays off down the road.

pepsi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pepsi »

Sean Brown wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 pm I will shovel, unload cleanup the washroom anything.
This is exactly the reason why in europe you get a job and a good salary with 250hrs and why in canada you have to live as a drug addict for years to hope to get a job with an acceptable way of life.

Finally it's just a question of Self-esteem between europeans and canadians pilots.

Does an hospital ask to surgeons to clean-up the washrooms for 1 year before to get a place in an operating room ?

Be proud of what you are, don't lose this to fly an airplane !

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Are you aware of how much it costs to get into aviation in Europe?

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

Every euro pilot mate of mine had to pay for their type rating... that's just the circumstance out there. The ramp programs are great ways to filter out people with no work ethic who feel entitled to a pilot seat cause they paid a lot of money for some licenses and think they know how to fly already.

pepsi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pepsi »

fish4life wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 pm Are you aware of how much it costs to get into aviation in Europe?
Around 30% more but as you get good salary so much faster than here, 30% is almost nothing.
Another thing, instructor in europe have really more experiences than here, You will find a lot of airline or military pilot in retirement, not a guy with 300hr who need to build his hours.
No european company will ever ask you to clean up the washroom that it's only a canadian's initiation ritual, a kind of special welcome.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pepsi wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 pm
fish4life wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 pm Are you aware of how much it costs to get into aviation in Europe?
Around 30% more but as you get good salary so much faster than here, 30% is almost nothing.
Another thing, instructor in europe have really more experiences than here, You will find a lot of airline or military pilot in retirement, not a guy with 300hr who need to build his hours.
No european company will ever ask you to clean up the washroom that it's only a canadian's initiation ritual, a kind of special welcome.
All true, but the chances of finding a first job in aviation in Europe are also much much smaller. Unofficial statistics are about 10% of people getting their "frozen ATPL" (basically CPL/ME/IFR) actually find a flying job in the next 5 years.

While I find it ridiculous and unnecessary, if cleaning up the washroom gets you a job, it might be a better system.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Employment Forum”