GGN CRJ Captain

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: GGN CRJ Captain

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

I'm not sure how Georgian is getting people to work for them...
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I have flown with a few FOs who recently left GGN and didn't have a single good thing to say about the place. Beware of the training bond as well.

Let’s Go Brandon
Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

Better get real familiar with the Air start/cross bleed procedure if you want to go fly the RJ there.

805ITT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 805ITT »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 am Better get real familiar with the Air start/cross bleed procedure if you want to go fly the RJ there.
I think if one was to listen to Toronto Apron frequency 122.07, you would hear Air Canada, Rouge, Sky as well as Georgian all ask to start one at the gate from time to time.......but you never hear a Jazz RJ ask to start one at the gate.......hmmm.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

CRJDRVR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 am
4) Your social media is heavily monitored, and is used against you. Also, there are people who bait you into saying negative comments which then get reported to management, so try and be positive, which can be very hard just due to the fast pace and stress. Overall though, the people are awesome and work hard.
Is there a job posting for that position? (social media monitor person??) lol. All jokes aside, I really hope that is not true. I think this is 100% invasion of privacy. It's almost like stalking. Yes I agree no one should post something that damages the company image etc. but you just can't spy on someones personal life without probable cause. If there is any doubt that someone posted something negative, by all means go ahead and monitor the social media and punish the person as required. If there is no complaints then there is no reason for an employer to spy on someone. That's my opinion, I hope most of you agree or else we should just "avoid" social media to stay safe.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

northernpilot2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:43 pm
CRJDRVR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 am
4) Your social media is heavily monitored, and is used against you. Also, there are people who bait you into saying negative comments which then get reported to management, so try and be positive, which can be very hard just due to the fast pace and stress. Overall though, the people are awesome and work hard.
Is there a job posting for that position? (social media monitor person??) lol. All jokes aside, I really hope that is not true. I think this is 100% invasion of privacy. It's almost like stalking. Yes I agree no one should post something that damages the company image etc. but you just can't spy on someones personal life without probable cause. If there is any doubt that someone posted something negative, by all means go ahead and monitor the social media and punish the person as required. If there is no complaints then there is no reason for an employer to spy on someone. That's my opinion, I hope most of you agree or else we should just "avoid" social media to stay safe.
Most airlines monitor social media for any use of their name. If you mention an airlines name you should expect them to know about it.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 am I have flown with a few FOs who recently left GGN and didn't have a single good thing to say about the place. Beware of the training bond as well.
I have flown with a few FO's lately who didn't have a single good thing to say about you. Beware of the BO as well... they said.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

gtanorth wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm Most airlines monitor social media for any use of their name. If you mention an airlines name you should expect them to know about it.
I totally agree with that and I think they have the right to do so in this case. As I mentioned in the previous post, as long as there is probable cause they are welcome to monitor the person's social media. Otherwise, it should be illegal in my opinion. Hopefully everyone agrees. 8)

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 am Beware of the training bond as well.
I will probably start a new topic at a different time on the training bond issue. My message to those who apply is this: If you know you are not going to like being there, don't apply in the first place. If you apply and get the call, don't break the bond. Keep your promise. Know what you are getting yourself into..

flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyzam »

northernpilot2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 am
If you apply and get the call, don't break the bond. Keep your promise. Know what you are getting yourself into..
I would kibitz that all pilots should follow that advise. Leaving early after an employer invests in you makes the rest of us look bad and brought in the bond issue in the first place.

Marinth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Marinth »

flyzam wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:16 am
northernpilot2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 am
If you apply and get the call, don't break the bond. Keep your promise. Know what you are getting yourself into..
I would kibitz that all pilots should follow that advise. Leaving early after an employer invests in you makes the rest of us look bad and brought in the bond issue in the first place.
No, an effort to pay crap wages and offer crap working conditions while the market conditions offer better opportunities are what keep bonds around. If it wasn't a terrible place to work they wouldn't need a training bond. Apply there, take the job, take the type rating, get some jet time, then leave for greener pastures. High training costs will force their wages up or them out of business.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Marinth wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 pm No, an effort to pay crap wages and offer crap working conditions while the market conditions offer better opportunities are what keep bonds around. If it wasn't a terrible place to work they wouldn't need a training bond. Apply there, take the job, take the type rating, get some jet time, then leave for greener pastures. High training costs will force their wages up or them out of business.
Uhm No. If the working conditions are not for you, you don't apply. Simple as that. What you do not want to do is apply and then complain about the conditions while your at work. Ive seen enough of that already and it needs to stop. As far as signing up just so you can get the type rating and jet time, by all means leave after you get the experience, However, don't leave right away. Honor your agreement and don't be a dick. Respect your employer and respect your colleagues for christ sake. :D

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

gtanorth wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:35 am
Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 am I have flown with a few FOs who recently left GGN and didn't have a single good thing to say about the place. Beware of the training bond as well.
I have flown with a few FO's lately who didn't have a single good thing to say about you. Beware of the BO as well... they said.
Personal attacks aside I don't think we work at the same company. Your posting history would indicate you're a GGN pilot or GGN management.

Let’s Go Brandon
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

CRJDRVR wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:36 pm Based on the "virtual reality" from GTA NORTH he is likely management

He is right about seniority, if you are will to work you will do bottom at the better than the top but stand-ups at 1/2 pay but the same amount of work as two flight days, and inside the training department where your deadhead paid at half block time in transit to places like PHX or CLT take a huge chunk of your possible pay

It is GDO of 10 days, some so get 11

9 stat days

Vacation is also an issue, you get 10 days after a year but you bid the year before, most never get them with lower seniority unless you sneak in a VAC or two in the monthly schedule

You do get the perk of accepting min rest of 10 hours for 2 credits. Draft is 6 credits or 1.5X

If you are looking for a schedule as a DEC, you will have ten days off a month but you have no idea of what you are doing until the 05:30 wake up call. This makes this job very difficult to commute without a YYZ crash pad

Per diem is about $1.90 CDN or the current USD exchange. There is no real cell phone repayment which will be needed for MOC calls so go with a good US plan like Telus or Wind. If you have exact call records you try and submit them as an expense but with all the OT, who has time when you are getting fitted for gold teeth?

No tips for shuttles and rest time starts 30 minutes after the cabin door is closed, not when you actually hit the hotel which means a short night in CMH.

As a DEC do not expect much help at CAE and the FO's will smell you out like sharks in the water... Be nice to them, when they upgrade, they will push you down on the schedule 😂

I was there years ago and sadly it looks like nothing has changed at all.
Do you still have to taxi the planes back and forth to the gate and north end?

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Im not here to bash, I am genuinely curious however..., for you GGN pilots, since you had the votes for ALPA, what are some changes you would like to see?

Roger1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Roger1989 »

fsantana wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:16 am
Inverted2 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am I would seriously look elsewhere first. If you have lots of jet time there are better options. You would likely make more at Sunwing in the right seat in your first year then left seat there and have a way better schedule.
What makes you think he/she is not looking some other place?
What if she/he did and is not getting any answer from anybody, but the world keeps on turning?

What if the GGN’s conditions are good for whatever the heck she/he is looking for?

He/she probably already applied to Sunwing but is still waiting for a call?

At the end it all just translate to what the pilot is looking for isn’t?

But to answer the question, a GGN RJ captain does good and can make better with overtime. You can apply if you want and find out yourself.
You are kidding right? Just wait it out.

Last edited by Roger1989 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fsantana
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fsantana »

I will let you know if I ever regret then... “seat back, relax and enjoy the flight”....

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

northernpilot2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:27 am
gtanorth wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm Most airlines monitor social media for any use of their name. If you mention an airlines name you should expect them to know about it.
I totally agree with that and I think they have the right to do so in this case. As I mentioned in the previous post, as long as there is probable cause they are welcome to monitor the person's social media. Otherwise, it should be illegal in my opinion. Hopefully everyone agrees. 8)
Easy, just lock up your accounts nice and tight.. Or better yet, delete them all as social media is a cancer to society.

Return to “Employment Forum”