Buffalo again

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Buffalo again

Post by flyinhigh »

Hiring First Officers,
Fly DC-3, C-46 and/or L-188 aircraft
- Marshals aircraft in ramp area; tows aircraft on the ground
- Performs on-board duties as required, including strict enforcement of emergency and safety procedures
- Assists with aircraft grooming and washing
- Performs additional tasks as assigned by the Ground Operations Manager
- Flight watch and following of all Buffalo Airways flights
- Maintain effective communication between all Operation departments; out-base staff/managers and other departments to minimize flight delays and day-of-flight schedule integrity.

- Keep up to date with changing weather and operating conditions and provide weather briefings to flight crews.
- Aircraft prep, fueling
Of the entire list, there is 2 items that reference flying. In fact to list the ground operations manager just shows this is a ground crew position with the carrot to fly.
---------- ADS -----------

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Buffalo again

Post by Diadem »

It's pretty much exactly the same as the rampie job ads they were pumping out, but they added those two lines. I have no doubt that anyone who gets hired as a "pilot" is going to spend 90% of their time performing non-flying duties, with the odd flight tossed in if Joe is happy with them.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Has anyone ever worked for Buffalo that was happy they went to work there?

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I hope they're hearing crickets in this current job market... or losing people within weeks with better offers. It would be poetic justice.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm Has anyone ever worked for Buffalo that was happy they went to work there?
I used to work with an ex-Buffalo employee. He was immensely happy with Buffalo and said he was considering going back. He said that Joe fired him twice but when joe was more mellow, he was a good guy. Paid well, flying was interesting. Worth going back he said. IIRC, he skipped the rampie thing and was direct into a plane as he had 5000 hours or so back then.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Those all seem like reasonable tasks for a right seat meat bag. Unless of course they are a whiny millennial? Perhaps the addition of a line saying. "Stand around breathing threw mouth while looking at phone, or stand with hands in pockets with dorky backpack on around coffee machine, telling glory day stories about Flying College/University days."
Like I said. Not a pilot shortage, just a shortage of useful ones. My condolences to Joe.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Or maybe resentment that millennials get to jump straight into a flying position without doing what you full well know are bullshit jobs with a carrot at the end and would have skipped in a heartbeat if you could.

What device are you reading this on and typing a response?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

What is wrong with working on the ground and gradually getting experience in a transport category airplane?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am What is wrong with working on the ground and gradually getting experience in a transport category airplane?
Nothing. But why would you do it if you don’t have to?

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am What is wrong with working on the ground and gradually getting experience in a transport category airplane?

Have Pratts - Will Travel
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

2013:

"Give pilots a pilot job! Refuse to take jobs if the pay is bad and conditions are terrible! You are a pilot for f*** sake! Don't participate in the race to the bottom!"

2018:

"Bloody millenials, too lazy to take a ground job! You get to fly a DC3! Back in my day..... What's wrong with some honest work? Straight to 705 ops? Unsafe! They need to freeze some winters on the ground before jumping in the plane!"

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Would it not be better to have that aviation job rather than have no aviation job?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am
Would it not be better to have that aviation job rather than have no aviation job?
You’re missing the point.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You’re missing the point.
Obviously I am, so please explain what is wrong with working for Buffalo.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 pm Obviously I am, so please explain what is wrong with working for Buffalo.
http://www.history.ca/ice-pilots-nwt/

That should answer your question.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Interesting link.

They must have killed a lot of people over the years with that unsafe flying culture, any idea of how many fatalities they have racked up since they started in business?

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:49 pm Interesting link.

They must have killed a lot of people over the years with that unsafe flying culture, any idea of how many fatalities they have racked up since they started in business?
Apparently none, but they've had nine accidents over the last twenty years. In 2013, they barely avoided killing their passengers when they took off overweight to tanker fuel out of Yellowknife, where it was cheaper, and had an engine failure. That was an intentional act that put two dozen lives in danger, and speaks to a company culture that's stuck in the last century.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

For sure there seems to be a lack of compliance to the rules and regulations judging from their past history.

Have they changed their thinking and improved their safety management now?

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

I know a few people who currently work there seasonally and work with a few ex buffalo guys. They all have good things to say about the company and Joe in particular.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

propfeather wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am I know a few people who currently work there seasonally and work with a few ex buffalo guys. They all have good things to say about the company and Joe in particular.
You mean they might have put a dramatic bias on a TV show?

Return to “Employment Forum”