Buffalo again

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

parallel60
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Buffalo again

Post by parallel60 »

I agree with Piston Pounder. I spent 4 winters in Yellowknife, some of the best years of my life and I am still friends with the people I met up there today. I feel as if an aviation career is an adventure/journey and the Magic of the Northwest Territories fulfilled that. But thats just my opinion. At the end of the day every person everywhere is going to do what they want in the end.
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm Would learning to fly a DC3 proficiently be of any value to you if you got a job flying a big jet?

Or is that kind of airplane stone age as far as flying is concerned and being able to fly one would be of no value to a jet pilot?
The answer is yes.

Things I learned flying the DC-3 at Buffalo have kept me out of trouble flying large jets all over the globe.

As a bonus I have a CV that stands out from that of almost everyone else.

"Ice Pilots" has really put Buffalo on the map globally. The reactions I get when people find out I've actually worked there are amazing.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

It's great to hear some changes may have finally been made to the Buffalo operation.

When I operated for a competitor out of Yellowknife, the majority of mining outfits would use Buffalo to haul freight but had strict policies that no passengers were ever to be on board their aircraft.

Draw your own conclusions.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Have you guys seen that article when Mikey "Fatty" McBryan went to CBC with a sob story about how northern carriers were in peril due to pilot shortage? If these "Swoops" would pay a little more and treated their employees better, they might have someone actually wanting to work for them. I personally would have a hard time choosing between diabetes or working for Buffalo. I would seriously have to sit and consider the pros and cons of each scenario.

Das ist mir wurst...
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

removed

Last edited by flyinhigh on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

That made my morning, wow. hahaha
Laughing at someones physical size says a lot more about your character than it does about Mikes.

This industry is actually quite small in Canada and a little searching by employers may go a long way to affecting your careers.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:13 am Have you guys seen that article when Mikey "Fatty" McBryan went to CBC with a sob story about how northern carriers were in peril due to pilot shortage? If these "Swoops" would pay a little more and treated their employees better, they might have someone actually wanting to work for them. I personally would have a hard time choosing between diabetes or working for Buffalo. I would seriously have to sit and consider the pros and cons of each scenario.

Wow who $hit on your plate.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Per that job "offer"
Uhh how about

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:26 pm Per that job "offer"
Uhh how about
Great game.

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 pm Has anyone ever worked for Buffalo that was happy they went to work there?

Yes. Very happy, actually.

- Toeless.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Thanks for the reply Toeless.

Of course I know there are many people who worked for Joe that were glad they did for many reasons.

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Yeah don't work there. You can work anywhere. Arctic Sunwest and Air Tindi are I think great companies with a really good safety culture and upgrade opportunities.

Joe is a goddamn lunatic. I used to work out of the NWT and my boss had been partners with him long before and said, one time Joe vapour locked a Baron in Lutselke/Snowdrift and couldnt get the second engine started so he just departed with the one. I used to fly to YK same time as he would arrive, managed to pass him due to upper winds on the way in, he taxied by giving the finger out the cockpit window to me and all my passengers and crew. Then went and balled out the controllers, who then had to give us S turns to make sure he won the next race. LOL.

Another time we went in there IFR, shot the ILS for, I think it's 34? down to minimums, had nothing and did a missed approach, he was right behind us VFR, controller asked him what he wanted to do traffic ahead did a missed approach, he went in for the other runway! No precision approach. Said he would go to the beacon and hook it in visual, made it in.

Another friend of mine used to work there, loved it! Going to all these ice strips you know with buckets of oil to get back, lol which is fine, til he got to be the senior copilot and had do to the sched, Hay River to YK in the AM then back in the PM, with Joe. He said anytime he would ask him a question about what he wanted to do going into YK or anything about the flight, Joe would switch on the pilot isolation (intercom off.)

The guy is not a good place to be around

Piston_Pounder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Piston_Pounder »

square wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 pm Yeah don't work there. You can work anywhere. Arctic Sunwest and Air Tindi are I think great companies with a really good safety culture and upgrade opportunities.

Joe is a goddamn lunatic. I used to work out of the NWT and my boss had been partners with him long before and said, one time Joe vapour locked a Baron in Lutselke/Snowdrift and couldnt get the second engine started so he just departed with the one. I used to fly to YK same time as he would arrive, managed to pass him due to upper winds on the way in, he taxied by giving the finger out the cockpit window to me and all my passengers and crew. Then went and balled out the controllers, who then had to give us S turns to make sure he won the next race. LOL.

Another time we went in there IFR, shot the ILS for, I think it's 34? down to minimums, had nothing and did a missed approach, he was right behind us VFR, controller asked him what he wanted to do traffic ahead did a missed approach, he went in for the other runway! No precision approach. Said he would go to the beacon and hook it in visual, made it in.

Another friend of mine used to work there, loved it! Going to all these ice strips you know with buckets of oil to get back, lol which is fine, til he got to be the senior copilot and had do to the sched, Hay River to YK in the AM then back in the PM, with Joe. He said anytime he would ask him a question about what he wanted to do going into YK or anything about the flight, Joe would switch on the pilot isolation (intercom off.)

I guess you haven't read the previous posts. The topic of this post is speculation on what it's like working for Buffalo. As previously stated, Joe doesn't have a say in what goes on there and he hardly flies at all anymore. Anyways, takes a minute to read some post. Again, Buffalo has gone through some major changes and their operation is completely legit these days. Conditions and responsibilities for the pilots have changed for the better and nobody works any more than any other company as per duty time regs. Plus once you start flying, which is only a matter of months now since they hire ground personnel who aren't pilots waiting to fly, the pay is great.

On top of that, safety records? How many fatalities do those companies that you mention have on their records? How many does Buffalo have? I know this is a controversial subject and depending what aspect you are looking at to determine what's safe could make you think one way or another but saying Buffalo is unsafe is just an uneducated statement.

Edited for spelling

Piston_Pounder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Piston_Pounder »

I think a pretty accurate comment I could add would be that if you are in aviation because you figured it would be an interesting job and the market is hot, maybe Buffalo isn't for you.
If you are in aviation because you truly love to fly and you have a passion for aviation and aircraft, and you feel that you were "born to fly" then Buffalo is the perfect job. It's an awesome place to work. The only people who say otherwise are people who have never worked there or people who expected to show up to a fuelled, heated, already loaded airplane with no other jobs besides flying.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

phillyfan wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 am "Stand around breathing threw mouth while looking at phone, or stand with hands in pockets with dorky backpack on around coffee machine, telling glory day stories about Flying College/University days."
Laughed pretty hard reading this hahaha

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Piston_Pounder wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:43 pm
square wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 pm Yeah don't work there. You can work anywhere. Arctic Sunwest and Air Tindi are I think great companies with a really good safety culture and upgrade opportunities.

I guess you haven't read the previous posts. The topic of this post is speculation on what it's like working for Buffalo. As previously stated, Joe doesn't have a say in what goes on there and he hardly flies at all anymore. Anyways, takes a minute to read some post. Again, Buffalo has gone through some major changes and their operation is completely legit these days. Conditions and responsibilities for the pilots have changed for the better and nobody works any more than any other company as per duty time regs. Plus once you start flying, which is only a matter of months now since they hire ground personnel who aren't pilots waiting to fly, the pay is great.

On top of that, safety records? How many fatalities do those companies that you mention have on their records? How many does Buffalo have? I know this is a controversial subject and depending what aspect you are looking at to determine what's safe could make you think one way or another but saying Buffalo is unsafe is just an uneducated statement.

Edited for spelling
Oh okay that's good news then

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Care to name your Boss who used to be partners with Joe?

There is no 'beacon' on the other side of the ILS in Yellowknife.

I have over 1000 hours as Joe's F/O - never experienced anything remotely like your 'stories'.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

My first job was flying a 207. (11 years ago) I was hired as a “Pilot”. Do you think I just flew my sched/charter and then went home and drank at 4pm? When not flying I:

-Towed airplanes around, hangar shuffling
-Washed/groomed my and others planes
-Drove around company truck to pick up parts
-Swamped for the float drivers
-Fueled and loaded my and others planes
-Flight followed
-Didn’t complain.

None of those duties were in the job description, they were just duties that everyone had and did whether you were a pilot, mechanic, rampie, or owner. Get over yourself. Just because you hold a “Pilots” license doesn’t mean you’ve earned the right to be a lazy F*ck.

I guess I should write something here.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Thanks for posting Maynard. Nice to see there are still people like you in this Business.

Your post is a welcome change from 'the World owes me a job' entitled Millenials who expect everything to be provided for them without any effort on their part.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I also like what Maynard had to say because it describes a real pilots attitude towards flying as an occupation.

Return to “Employment Forum”