Buffalo again

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Buffalo again

Post by square »

LOL. Of course you don't need to do two years on the ramp to learn how to fly. It's a free market and airlines are running for-profit businesses. If they don't put you in a flying position, it's because there is not demand for someone of your qualifications (which is not to say your abilities,) which by the way are pretty damn low if you have don't have any experience. Going to flight school for a year does not put you on the same level as a physician or attorney with a three year post-graduate degree. Sorry.

Is that really hard for anyone to understand?
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

square wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 am
square wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 pm Yeah don't work there. You can work anywhere. Arctic Sunwest and Air Tindi are I think great companies with a really good safety culture and upgrade opportunities.

Joe is a goddamn lunatic. I used to work out of the NWT and my boss had been partners with him long before and said, one time Joe vapour locked a Baron in Lutselke/Snowdrift and couldnt get the second engine started so he just departed with the one. I used to fly to YK same time as he would arrive, managed to pass him due to upper winds on the way in, he taxied by giving the finger out the cockpit window to me and all my passengers and crew. Then went and balled out the controllers, who then had to give us S turns to make sure he won the next race. LOL.

Another time we went in there IFR, shot the ILS for, I think it's 34? down to minimums, had nothing and did a missed approach, he was right behind us VFR, controller asked him what he wanted to do traffic ahead did a missed approach, he went in for the other runway! No precision approach. Said he would go to the beacon and hook it in visual, made it in.

Another friend of mine used to work there, loved it! Going to all these ice strips you know with buckets of oil to get back, lol which is fine, til he got to be the senior copilot and had do to the sched, Hay River to YK in the AM then back in the PM, with Joe. He said anytime he would ask him a question about what he wanted to do going into YK or anything about the flight, Joe would switch on the pilot isolation (intercom off.)

The guy is not a good place to be around
Care to name your Boss who used to be partners with Joe?

There is no 'beacon' on the other side of the ILS in Yellowknife.

I have over 1000 hours as Joe's F/O - never experienced anything remotely like your 'stories'.
Ok, it was Terry Harrold. The beacon is on final for, what it is 34? He used it as a downwind reference for the other runway, 27? It's been a while since I was in YK so I don't know the runway numbers but my "stories" are true.
Thanks for the reply - I just saw it.

I know the Harrolds. Terry bought the Fort Smith operation from Joe. Don't believe they were ever partners.

The beacon story makes no sense to me whatsoever.

As for the rest - doesn't match my experiences.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Fair enough

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

I'd like to see anyone get a Baron airborne on one engine - but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in it.

OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

Guys, if you get invited for a rampie-to-pilot job....do these northern operators usually commit to offer you the job over the phone,

or do you just drive up /fly-in, and take your chances without a signed contract in hand? How does it work?

I'm curious because it is kinda costly to go up there by either car or plane.

Return to “Employment Forum”