labour lawyer recommendation

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: labour lawyer recommendation

Post by Diadem »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:52 pm No company in their right mind will spend 20K on a lawyer to get their 10K back.
I used to work for a company that would gladly spend $100000 to get $1 from a pilot skipping out on his/her bond. It's about the principle, not the money, and they want to send a message that no one gets away with it so others won't start bailing too. They succeeded every time they went to court that I know of too.
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I'm trying to figure out if your post is sarcasm or ignorance.
Ignorance.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I'm trying to figure out if your post is sarcasm or ignorance.
Ignorance.

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Don’t sign anything you don’t plan in honoring.
Nobody forces you to agree. But...if you sign and agree to the terms, ethics, ethics, ethics or pay.
It’s no different than a pre-nuptial agreement, rules are known from the get go.
You can't have your cake and eat it

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

Ask your company to give you tax receipt for reimbursing the balance on the bond . if they will then great pay the balance then you can deduct off your income. If company will not issue tax receipt for training ,then you are likely not required to repay it as the company is deducting training costs on the corporate balance sheet . and cra wont allow the corporation to deduct on the front end then have former employees deduct on the back end . (double dipping as an expression) many do not know this .

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Probably ignorance on my behalf, but you can't honestly discount what I've said "I don't know anyone that was taken to court". Where I used to work we had bonds. I didn't have to pay it back because I was there long enough to "expire". Out of the 30 - 40 pilots that skipped on their bond, not one was taken to court. These guys are my friends / co-workers. I still keep in touch with them. Does that invalidate my experience, because I don't have a law degree?

On a 2nd note. If you come to AV Canada for legal advice, no offence, you get the answers from people with different opinions and experiences. Overall, we're not very bright here; otherwise we wouldn't be working for 40K a year. (Me included).

Good luck with the bond... I wouldn't pay. It's a travesty to have bonds. Ask most "old timers" and they'll tell you. "We never used to have bonds".

Das ist mir wurst...
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

HansDietrich wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:55 am On a 2nd note. If you come to AV Canada for legal advice, no offence, you get the answers from people with different opinions and experiences. Overall, we're not very bright here; otherwise we wouldn't be working for 40K a year. (Me included).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect

Well that's why, if you don't know anything about anything, you don't comment on said topics. That's why you don't see me posting my opinions on subjects that I know little (or significantly less than other posters) about, such as aircraft maintenance, the A320, or the working conditions at Canadian North.

It's not just that you said you've never seen your company chase anyone for a bond. You also said that the bonds are "good for the outhouse" (they're not-they're legal binding documents), "what judge would side with the company" (all of them from cases I've read), and that "no 703 will take you to court for not paying an "illegal" bond (yes, many will). What if some young pilot actually took your "legal advise" and based on your advice, skipped a bond, and the company sued them for $30k?

Also, the OP didn't ask for legal advice on this forum- he asked for a recommendation for a lawyer, which is the proper course of action for someone looking for legal advice.

Here's some reading:
https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc/2 ... ultIndex=3
https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc/2 ... ultIndex=4
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2 ... ultIndex=6

Sorry to be so harsh, but you're the kid on the bench who is always telling everyone else how to play and then when it's you're turn, it turns out that you haven't yet learned how to skate.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

JBI wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 am
Jack Klumpus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:36 am Which ever law firm you deal with bebupfrint and get them to agree on the price of their services upfront. I've dealt with a lawyer in Winnipeg with regards to a training bond, even though we settled to pay much less than what the company wanted, the lawyer was trying to milk me for everything, including photocopies and envelopes. And this was the 'best' lawyer in Winnipeg. My saving grace was that I had agreed on a price before hand.
Charging for disbursements (i.e. photocopies and envelopes etc.) is pretty standard billing practice by all law firms. When I was working at a firm I thought it was pretty silly - the client is already paying hundreds of dollars an hour for legal representation, that should at least also include stationary. However, that was the firm's policy so that's what I had to bill. The lawyer wasn't trying to 'milk' you, just following standard billing.
I had negotiated a price with the lawyer. I was in a fixed budget and very low one at that. We agreed the price would be X amount. Final. Including all of his fees. He tried to include more items after the fact, which is the part of him trying to milk me. I paid what we had originally agreed.

I realize you’re in law, however lawyers in general are known to squeeze money out of their clients.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Jack Klumpus wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:12 pm I realize you’re in law, however lawyers in general are known to squeeze money out of their clients.
It's annoying. I once performed some services for my lawyer who drew up the legal disclaimers on my invoices. He didn't pay and ignored me. I then used his own disclaimers against him. Man that was sweet :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Sollomun
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sollomun »

To sue your employer, you have to gather evidence of his guilt. Large companies work with highly qualified lawyers, so winning a lawsuit against them is complicated.

JulieSimpsong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JulieSimpsong »

As I understand, if you take a training bond, you have to work for the company or pay the money back. The minimum time you have to work should be written in your contract, and it is different for every employer. Usually, the conditions of training bond contracts are written out in precise detail. I don’t know an agency that specializes in aviation law. But the lawyers at swpdxlaw.com have a lot of experience in employer-employee relationships. You can call them up and maybe arrange a free consultation.

elanelown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by elanelown »

If you are looking for a decent labor lawyer, you can think about approaching a professional lawyer service in your area. From my experience, many lawyers firms are just draining your money without any action to help you. I can suggest to you these guys oxnerpermarlaw.com, they helped with my injury insurance case, but I'm not sure that they are enough experienced in the area you require, but you can approach them for the consultation, maybe they will have a good suggestion to solve your issue.

Last edited by elanelown on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

JulieSimpsong wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:41 am As I understand, if you take a training bond, you have to work for the company or pay the money back. The minimum time you have to work should be written in your contract, and it is different for every employer. Usually, the conditions of training bond contracts are written out in precise detail. I don’t know an agency that specializes in aviation law. But the lawyers at swpdxlaw.com have a lot of experience in employer-employee relationships. You can call them up and maybe arrange a free consultation.
I would strongly recommend NOT using a US base law firm for a Canadian Employment law issue...

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Black_Tusk wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:46 pm
Blueontop wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:20 pm Why is it expected that us employees are supposed to be noble and play nice but when as soon as it suits the company to drop said employee because of economics, its suddenly ok for the company to do whatever for its bottom line. Company has no real loyalty to employees yet the employees better honour a contract that the company would walk out on itself if it benefited it

Or worse yet, when the company and owner makes you (or attempts to make you) break the law and if you want to quit you're on the hook for a bond. IMO, if the company forces anyone to do anything illegal, bonds should be invalid at that second. Contracts work from both ends.
The bond is there to leverage crappy work conditions and as well as illegal circumstances as you’ve said. I’ll never sign a bond, and I’ve never paid for training and never will. Bond = 🚩 Always consult an employment lawyer before putting pen to paper!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Diadem wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:42 pm
HansDietrich wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:52 pm No company in their right mind will spend 20K on a lawyer to get their 10K back.
I used to work for a company that would gladly spend $100000 to get $1 from a pilot skipping out on his/her bond. It's about the principle, not the money, and they want to send a message that no one gets away with it so others won't start bailing too. They succeeded every time they went to court that I know of too.
Corporate, airline, or management company? I think I know the one you’re talking about…

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:21 pm
Corporate, airline, or management company? I think I know the one you’re talking about…
Haha We could have an aviation themed game of "Guess Who"

Do they have Metro-liners in their fleet?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

piperdriver wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:41 pm
PitchLink wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Haha We could have an aviation themed game of "Guess Who"

Do they have Metro-liners in their fleet?
Nope lol however that attitude isn’t just at any one company either. Management want to always set a strong standard that employees can’t push back even when they’re right to do so. Aviation guess who is a hilarious idea 😂

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Never sign a bond without having a lawyer explain it to you

fodoya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fodoya »

Hello everyone, I'm currently in a bit of a predicament and could really use some guidance. I've recently been injured on the job and I'm considering seeking compensation through a workers' compensation claim. However, I'm not quite sure where to start. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for workers' compensation lawyers? What factors should I consider when choosing one? Are there any specific questions I should ask during consultations? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Return to “Employment Forum”