Air Georgian " hiring under 800TT?"

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 3
Rank 3

Air Georgian " hiring under 800TT?"

Post by 7507 »

Ive read the bad and the good about Georgian, don't know what and who to believe anymore but seems more bad than good unless there are other stories.

My question is they're advertising minimum 800TT and I know they hired from their cadet programs guys with 250TT but has anybody been hired under 800TT Off the street due to the times? Curious and thanks again.
---------- ADS -----------

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Georgian " hiring under 800TT?"

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

7507, I've seen posts very similar to this from you about all kinds of operators. I'm going to tell you what you need to know about ALL these companies that potentially hire with less than 1500 hrs. Do they hire people with 1000 hrs? 800? 750? 500? 250? Maybe.

What does it depends upon?
Does that person have an internal reference?
Does that person have more multi time than it took to get their rating?
How much PIC do they have?
Do they have a contract that requires their pilots to have X amount of hours? (Medevacs commonly have a 500TT bare legal minimum)
Does that person have military experience?
Are they really really short staffed and need a pilot right this second and that lower time pilot is in the right place at the right time?
Did that pilot go to the same flight school the Chief Pilot did?
Some places hate instructors, some places love instructors. (Usually depending on if the CP instructed or not)
Some places love bush pilots, some hate them. (Usually depending on if the CP started in the bush or not)

There is no formula, and if there was it would change month to month with the economy, staffing needs, etc.

I know friends with 500 hrs and friends with 1000 that applied to the same job and the 500 hour pilot got it, just because the 500 hr person was available sooner.

Bottom line

APPLY. Customizing your cover letter for whatever company you want to apply to costs nothing except a few minutes of your time. Showing up in person to firmly shake the CP/Hiring Pilot's hand also usually makes a huge impact on your hiring chances. (If you're able to do that of course).

If you don't hear anything back, DO IT AGAIN 2-3 months later. Their formula may have changed drastically in that time.

Good luck out there, this is our market!

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm 7507, I've seen posts very similar to this from you about all kinds of operators. I'm going to tell you what you need to know about ALL these companies that potentially hire with less than 1500 hrs. Do they hire people with 1000 hrs? 800? 750? 500? 250? Maybe.

Do they have a contract that requires their pilots to have X amount of hours? (Medevacs commonly have a 500TT bare legal minimum)
Are they really really short staffed and need a pilot right this second and that lower time pilot is in the right place at the right time?
Some places hate instructors, some places love instructors. (Usually depending on if the CP instructed or not)
Some places love bush pilots, some hate them. (Usually depending on if the CP started in the bush or not)

There is no formula, and if there was it would change month to month with the economy, staffing needs, etc.

I know friends with 500 hrs and friends with 1000 that applied to the same job and the 500 hour pilot got it, just because the 500 hr person was available sooner.

Bottom line

APPLY. Customizing your cover letter for whatever company you want to apply to costs nothing except a few minutes of your time. Showing up in person to firmly shake the CP/Hiring Pilot's hand also usually makes a huge impact on your hiring chances. (If you're able to do that of course).

If you don't hear anything back, DO IT AGAIN 2-3 months later. Their formula may have changed drastically in that time.

Well said!

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm 7507, I've seen posts very similar to this from you about all kinds of operators. I'm going to tell you what you need to know about ALL these companies that potentially hire with less than 1500 hrs. Do they hire people with 1000 hrs? 800? 750? 500? 250? Maybe.

Bottom line

Thanks for the brutal truth post, real material and much appreciated.

I've decided to talk to someone about really sprucing up the resume and like you said just apply every 2 to 3 months to where I would like to work and whatever happens happens.

Tòo many stories on its who you know and not what you now or have in the logbook that gets you the job .

Thanks

rvdungen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rvdungen »

Do you have two feet, a heartbeat and a group one IFR?

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

I've heard Jazz has hired under 1000TT as well .... the new norm :)... in cdn regional hiring lol

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

I know absolutely nothing about what it takes to get a job in the aviation business. But as a business owner and someone who hires a lot of people annual for seasonal work there are some basic things that have got to come into play aside from strictly hours. Once you meet the minimums and the person doing the hiring can justify why you are the right candidate I would think that like LifeAt90knots said you have to show up.

I am seeing the very basics of common sense and job hunting skills decline at an incredible rate.

Some personal pet peeves of what I see from people who are looking for a job.

1) Your resume, ( to a certain extent) and cover letter should be tailored to the company you are applying to and the job you are looking for.
2) Drop your resume off if you can, otherwise, if you email it in make sure that you send it in a program that people are likely to have, word or a pdf are great, I've gotten lots of resumes that I can't open and have no idea what program they were created on.
3) Don't text your new potential boss looking for an interview or to see if he got your resume. Texting is for friends and he/she is not yours. If you want to followup ( great idea) pick up the phone.
2) Show up dressed appropriately and don't be late for an interview, no excuses. This means knowing how to get there, where to park and leaving time for traffic, if you are late in my mind you might as well turn around and go home.
3) Do your research on the company you are applying for so you can ask intelligent questions when you are given the opportunity.
4) Practice your interview skills answering some basic questions that you know they are going to ask......strengths, weaknesses, conflict resolution, problem solving etc. If the interview technique is a behavioural type interview then a lot of prep will be needed to excel at this. If the question starts off with, " tell me about a time...." you better have a prepped answer or you will never hit V1. Search top 10 interview questions and have some canned answers, at least 50% of the people I interview cannot come up with an answer for the weakness question.

You may need a certain number of hours to get an interview or get your face in the door, after that I would think that aviation is very similar to other job applications, the person doing the hiring wants to be confident that they are selecting the best candidate available, don't give them any reason to doubt you. My final piece of advice, if there is a job that you really want over another company, then don't schedule that interview first. Doing well in an interview takes practice and its easy to blow because you will be nervous, getting some practice in with some employers that aren't your first choice is a great way to prep for the one that you really want.

Good Luck!

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Here is the story of Georgian. Most (not all but most) pilots go to GGN to work for AC. Those who are successful achieving that goal generally grow beyond the need to post on Av Canada.

Some who are not successful have great backup plans and move on quickly to Sunwing or some other “second choice” employer, most of them accept that with a cup half full view and again grow beyond the need to post on Av Canada.

A minority of those pilots want to blame someone for not going to AC so they look externally instead of internally and blame either GGN, the PMA or AC and they find comfort in the friends they make on Av Canada with the other cup half empty people.

Then you have what the rest of us call “The Av Canada Core”. For GGN that is made up of (1) people that didn’t get hired (2) people that failed out or got fired (3) people that didn’t get upgraded (4) people that didn’t get hired by AC or by their backup plan (4) Pilots that truly ligetimetly didn’t like their experience for whatever reason but are bitter about it (5) pilots at Jazz that think GGN is to blame for their regression contract vs. the hay days of cost plus (6) pilots that just cant move past the fact that they did not achieve what they set out to do and don’t have an ability to look at themselves and instead blame someone else. All of these posters find likeminded people on Av Canada and it makes them feel good to have people agree with them.

This is what you need to keep in mind when taking employment advice about any company on Av Canada. It can be a great source of info for some things but the posters represent a very very very small portion of the pilot population, the people that are happy and going about life don’t post here often, at least not often enough to give the proper scale to any discussed topic related to employment.

Don’t get me wrong there has been a lot of great info on this site and a lot of great discussions but the proportionality is always, 100% of the time wrong. That does not make the information invalid just keep in mind the views represent those of a very small proportion of any group, good or bad, pro or con.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Have they announced the new PML yet?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Nope. It will come when it comes.. until then, I'll enjoy my current job and the people I work with.

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Can anyone give updated info on their Sim evaluation for First Officer applicants on the 1900?

805ITT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 805ITT »

Sim Evals are fairly straight forward. T/O, hold, engine failure, ILS and landing.

You are paired with another candidate and given an abbreviated SOP as a part of your interview invite.

Sim evaluations are now for RJ candidates as well.

Return to “Employment Forum”