GGN Interview Questions

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

C-GOYR
Rank 2
Rank 2

GGN Interview Questions

Post by C-GOYR »

Gonna be sending in a resume and was wondering what sort of technical/HR questions gets asked. Also any info on the sim eval would also be appreciated. I'm aware of all the posts here regarding GGN but would like to hear from guys/gals who are currently there or had interviews recently.

If you'd prefer to send a private message, please feel free to do so.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

LGHeyyy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: GGN Interview Questions

Post by LGHeyyy »

Why?

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

LGHeyyy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:37 pmWhy?
Guess he/she may want to fly for Air Canada in a couple of years

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I agree, WHY?

There is two WAAAAAY better options out there to attempt to get on at AC.

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

flyinhigh wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 am I agree, WHY?

Why? They are the best performing Express carrier, 1200 former pilots now work at AC and they are represented by ALPA. All the old mgnt is long gone and they had a 0 finding TC audit 6 months ago. They send pilots to AC every GS. Lots of money being pumped into the company. I understand why some people might have a bad taste of the old GGN although mostly unearned in my opinion but there is no reason to not look at them as one of the best paths to AC now. Jazz aint the old Jazz and GGN aint the old GGN so the game and landscape is changeing

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

avpride wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 am

Why? They are the best performing Express carrier, 1200 former pilots now work at AC and they are represented by ALPA. All the old mgnt is long gone and they had a 0 finding TC audit 6 months ago. They send pilots to AC every GS. Lots of money being pumped into the company. I understand why some people might have a bad taste of the old GGN although mostly unearned in my opinion but there is no reason to not look at them as one of the best paths to AC now. Jazz aint the old Jazz and GGN aint the old GGN so the game and landscape is changeing
Why is Jazz covering a bunch of their flying now then? Saw them doing a Pittsburgh, Columbus and Cleveland the other day with the Q and a Sarnia with a -100

Let’s Go Brandon
avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:56 am

Why is Jazz covering a bunch of their flying now then? Saw them doing a Pittsburgh, Columbus and Cleveland the other day with the Q and a Sarnia with a -100
Well I think the same could be said about GGN covering for Jazz especially this past summer. But no idea specifically about what is happening at this point. I know that the GGN schedule is built very aggressively and the lines of flying for Jazz are very loose so from an AC POV Express needs to cover each other on a day of ops basis and as long as the entire schedule gets handled they are happy. I wouldn't read much if anything into that, it's pretty much viewed as mainline covering for Rouge. It is normal for higher cost operation to be used to cover the lower because the lower is scheduled harder in the first place.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

They send pilots to AC every GS. Lots of money being pumped into the company.
Every airline these days are sending pilots to A.C. Heck there are actually more from Encore than from the induvidual express carriers. But that's beside the point.

Any of that money being passed down to the pilots? I'd love to hear about pay, vacay, and SDO's.

Voting 99% in favour of the union means there wasn't even a debate as to how bad things are/were. Any changes yet?

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Wow, so much virtue signaling in here, didn't realize there were so many liberals. The OP came on here to see if they can get some insight into interview questions and instead we have people questioning why he/she wants to consider employment with GGN. That wasn't the question asked and surely non of anyone's business. Either answer the question or keep quiet, nobody cares that you got to fly for the best carriers in Canada and took you 15 years to get onto AC.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am Every airline these days are sending pilots to A.C. Heck there are actually more from Encore than from the induvidual express carriers. But that's beside the point.

Any of that money being passed down to the pilots? I'd love to hear about pay, vacay, and SDO's.

Voting 99% in favour of the union means there wasn't even a debate as to how bad things are/were. Any changes yet?
They still don't have a new contract... despite the previous one having expired over one year ago.

The fact that everyone is leaving and that Jazz has to fly their routes speaks for itself.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Boreas wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 pm The fact that everyone is leaving and that Jazz has to fly their routes speaks for itself.
It's usually the people who complain and b***h all the time that end up leaving. Im not at GGN but I have friends there who are long time GGN pilots. Also, I don't think its only at GGN that people leave, even where I work we got some whiners who are not happy, and are desperate to leave. Its sad but to each there own.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Pretty sure the people that have left Jazz have gone to Fly Dubai, Air Canada, back to PASCO x2 (not ggn). The folks at Encore have gone to Air Canada, Westjet, Sky Regional (not ggn). The folks at Air Georgian are going to Air Canada but a ton are definitely umping to Sky, Jazz and Encore.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Oxi wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:57 pm Pretty sure the people that have left Jazz have gone to Fly Dubai, Air Canada, back to PASCO x2 (not ggn). The folks at Encore have gone to Air Canada, Westjet, Sky Regional (not ggn). The folks at Air Georgian are going to Air Canada but a ton are definitely umping to Sky, Jazz and Encore.
99.9% of the Georgian folks that move laterally do so because they got PFO from AC or are not on the AC track to begin with (age, education, etc). Georgian is not a career place. The only other group were a few that got stuck on the 1900 and left cause they couldn’t go to the CRJ due to a backlog and that was the right move for some of them but 1 that was prior to the 2 year Pma and 2 the backlog isn’t as bad now from what we see and AC is taking more from the 1900 as the new Pma is not seniority based and they like the Capt time.

momnosam7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by momnosam7 »

Boreas wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:07 pm
DanWEC wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am Every airline these days are sending pilots to A.C. Heck there are actually more from Encore than from the induvidual express carriers. But that's beside the point.

They still don't have a new contract... despite the previous one having expired over one year ago.

The fact that everyone is leaving and that Jazz has to fly their routes speaks for itself.
Actually, attrition at AGL is about the same as the rest of Express. They have done one heck of a job with their new recruitment program and actually do put a lot of effort getting you hired at AC as that is their ONLY carrot. As the other poster said the AGL fleet is run F**King hard so when things go off the rails it goes bad fast and that is where Jazz or Sky need to pick up and cover. That formula is by design not by accident. Run the cheap guys hard and pick up the overflow with Jazz. AGL also does a great job at communicating with its pilots about performance and the company and industry in general. This is a far far cry from the Georgian we all knew a few years ago. Get your hands on a copy of their PMA guideline.

As for the interview, they are moving to better drug cog and pers testing to decrease the PFO rate from AC and generally try and parallel the AC format of an interview, again to reduce PFO. The sim eval is all about SOP and two crew unless you dont come from a two crew environment then they focus on structure and more basic skills.

I would also argue that they are not a career place. Their instructors, ACP's and so on can make really good bank and if you want to hang around those jobs become available all the time.

They made so many great changes in the last few years people who come on here to Bi**h are usually guys that got PFO from AC or are just going on really old information. I also think the 99% vote may have been more related to breaking away from the other groups in the old union and simply having their own pilot only group. Remember they used to be in with FA, dispatch and even maintenance.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

There are always a few guys that champion GGN hard.
I'm glad it isn't as bad as before, but I still have issue when a company contributes hard to the race to the bottom for wages, which affects us all.

So, do any of you guys feel like divulging the current pay rates, days off, duty hours per month, vaca allotments, and actual net pay? (And not an unrealistic month because you picked up and worked 23 days, but average) I'm genuinely curious.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

CRJ Capt $72 and change
CRJ FO $38
10 GDOS a month
10 Vacation days (They have a really nice system where you can intermix vacation days and GDOS so you can get long stretches of time off without waisting many vacation days)
85h blocks average, overtime is 1.5h after 90h.
Min credit 70h.
I'm not sure about the 1900 pay and work conditions but I'm sure they have been posted before.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

now back to the original question -- can someone give an insight of the questions asked in interview ? more technical or HR ?

thanks

805ITT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 805ITT »

Hi,

Nightbirds comments on pay and GDOs is accurate for the CRJ. The 1900 has 11 GDOs per month and is more of salary based system because you are guaranteed 100 hours per month. There is the ability for OT on both fleets.

The interview process has three steps for both the CRJ and 1900:

1.Situation based interview with 5-6 situational questions. Starts of with some introductory question. We are looking for stories of a time a pilot learned a lesson, had to intervene in a safety sensitive moment, delivered great customer service and had to deal with conflict in the work place. There are additional questions about your training history, career goals and ability to hold a RAIC and enter the US;
2. A personality test is emailed to you to be completed at home; and
3. A SIM eval in the 1900 SIM at Downsview. You are paired with another candidate. The SIM eval is a take-off, hold, engine failure and ILS as PF, plus the same exercises as a PM.

So far in 2018, we have sent 9% of our pilots to Air Canada with the goal of 40% for the year. This means that there is lots of opportunity for pilots with experience to advance their careers quite quickly at AGL, either on the 1900 or the CRJ. For the right candidates there is also opportunity to join the training department as a Line Indoc Captain, then SIM instructor, then ACP.

We also have a tuition assistance program if needed to help your qualifications or resume for an Air Canada application.

As for Jazz covering our flights, unfortunately one of our CRJ aircraft had a collision with a vehicle while under tow by Gate 260. Until the RJ is returned to service, Jazz, Sky and Mainline are helping to move AC passengers where they can.

C-GOYR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-GOYR »

Thanks for your reply...valuable info. I assume you're sent some basic info on the sim before going on the eval especially for those that's never flown a 1900 before. Do they cut you any slack in the sim based on having zero experience on sim and ac?

regards

805ITT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 805ITT »

A SIM evaluation script is sent to the candidates with the confirmation of the interview.

We are not looking for PPC standards on the eval. We are looking for basic IFR, teamwork and improvement from the first two minutes to the last two.

For candidates that are coming from our SOAR partners, or for DEC interviews, we help with the travel costs to the interview.

We have lots of opportunities, if you are interested, put in an application and start the conversation.

Troy, John and Auden will be in Yellowknife, Monday April 16th for a meet and greet. Check out our Facebook page for details.

Return to “Employment Forum”