Private Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Torresdenochea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Private Air

Post by Torresdenochea »

Anyone know if they offer a schedule (was looking at their Hawker FO ad) or your days off were the days you didn’t fly?
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Private Air

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I would be happy to answer this question.

Due to the nature of the owner flights, and a dedicated crew for the airplane, We don’t have a set schedule per se. I can assure you that we far exceed CARS minimums for days off. I can’t imagine a circumstance other than training, where the crew would be working (and I consider days sitting in Florida as working days) for more than 10-12 days per month, in a very busy month, as this airplane will likely have very little charter. Because it is a new type for the company though, we’re not sure exactly what to expect for charter hours. If it’s getting more than expected, the owner is amenable to hiring a third full time crew member to get a rotation. But, it the meantime, If you want specific days off, you request them and you almost assuredly get them. It has worked very well for us thus far. I actually can’t think of a time when requested days off has been denied.

With this particular owner, generally we have anywhere from 24hrs-3 weeks notice of upcoming trips. I can only think of 1 single time in 3 1/2 years flying for him, where we’ve done a same day trip for him nor will excessive same day charters occur. With the exception of 1 airplane in the company, we can probably count on 1 hand how many same day charters we do, across the fleet. This owner is extremely reasonable with his expectations and in his trust for crew decisions. We have never been pushed to fly in weather situations that are questionable (we stayed In Florida an extra night just this weekend due to weather) and he makes sure we are well taken care of on the road. Just FYI, I cut my foot on a rock in the sand this weekend when I jumped off a jet ski in Florida while YYZ was getting hammered by Ice....that’s how we roll.

Torresdenochea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Torresdenochea »

Thanks for the reply.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Perhaps a more realistic way of asking would be.

How many days a month can I turn off my phone, start the day with a Baileys, and travel three hours away from base?

How many days in a row can I do the above?

How long in advance can I plan days I want to do the above?

Torresdenochea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Torresdenochea »

Zaibatsu wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 pm Perhaps a more realistic way of asking would be.

How many days a month can I turn off my phone, start the day with a Baileys, and travel three hours away from base?

How many days in a row can I do the above?

How long in advance can I plan days I want to do the above?
Well that's exactly it. I mean, I have no doubts this is a great company, and a sweet gig (good pay too!) but not having a schedule and being "on call" all the time is not something I want to do.Otherwise, you are essentially always tied to the phone, can't really plan anything in life. It would probably be a great gig for a single young dude/girl though.

Best of luck to whoever gets it

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Most will do the drinking on the road with their drinking buddy when schedule permits - you know the plane's generally not going anywhere for the next 2 or 3 days. Once she's chocked and you get the all ok from dispatch, you are now on duty rest, have at'er. If I remember correctly cdn
cdnpilot77 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 am
, you guys have a pretty good on the road compensation system. Correct me if I am wrong, no per diems, but the crews have a generous allowance for both activities and meals well in excess of standard per diems at most places IIRC. I can't remember if that's at Private or prior to the acquisition at Algonquin.

It sounds like this particular owner is open to increasing the flying on the jet (midsize Hawkers are usually pretty busy - they fit a great niche and price point - just suck for luggage), which if that's the case would be great to get a third crew member on there. That's the way all jets should be run on this side, the 2 pilot scheme while on the surface is cost effective, causes revolving doors with crews as they get tired of waiting by the phone.

If having days off is important so you can crack the Bailey's or Jack at 9am, charter management/corporate probably isn't for you. I've always found (while never having flown for Private Air myself) that with companies like this, you start to see the patterns in bookings and clients. Still doesn't mean you can bust out the liquor if you are running on a 2 hour on call.

S.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Like anything, it takes some time getting used too. Generally if you stay sober until dinner time, you’re not going to have an issue. On weekends/evenings, if we happen to get a call for a charter and you’ve already had a drink....guess what, we don’t do the charter, but lets be reasonable adults. I’ve never let this job stop me from living my life with my wife and kids. I have 3 that are 5yrs old and younger. I routinely enjoy their t-ball, swimming, hockey, gymnastics etc and haven’t missed a birthday, Christmas or major milestone yet and often visit the in laws out of town at their house or trailer or go to friends cottages in Muskoka or Lake Huron. I drop the kids off at the bus most mornings and pick them up to play road hockey most afternoons, I don’t need to have a drink to enjoy what life brings, so that aspect has never been an issue for me personally. The owner is also reasonable as said above. He will literally call and ask if it’s ok if we go tomorrow or something like that. If there are extenuating circumstances and he can’t go, it’s never the end of his world.

Schnitzel is correct, we don’t pay per diems, but the allowable expenses are very generous and allows us to have very enjoyable days away.

As also said above, it ain’t for everyone. If you want to be able to plan every minute of every day, this gig ain’t for you and I think that goes with just about every job at the North end. We don’t have a lot of turnover unless airplanes are sold. I have been with the company 5yrs and started when we had 2 airplanes at Algonquin Airlink. As Private Air, we now have about 17 airplanes all around Canada. We’re headed in the right direction and look forward to meeting the next one to join us.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Is this still Frank Kelner's company or did he sell it off and only runs Northstar now?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

No, it is no longer Franks company nor is he involved in the operation

CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

Does Private air still operate there Falcon 20.I haven't seen it around for some time.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Negative....it was parked for a while for a major inspection and has been subsequently sold.

Torresdenochea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Torresdenochea »

cdnpilot77;

How many overnights (layover periods) would you say you typically do in a month?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

cdnpilot77 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:52 am Schnitzel is correct, we don’t pay per diems, but the allowable expenses are very generous and allows us to have very enjoyable days away.
I've heard the stories and I would take your system over per diems any day of the week.

Too bad more operators don't do this.

S.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Torresdenochea wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 am cdnpilot77;

How many overnights (layover periods) would you say you typically do in a month?
It varies depending on charter and owner needs....I think I had about 75 hotel nights last year. However, some of those were day rooms. I would say an average to a busy month is 5-6 overnights, maybe as high as 10 but as I said, earlier I can’t imagine too many scenarios where we’re away 10 or more nights in a month. I also had some months with 1 or none. Initial training is 15 days and recurrent is 5 days so those months are more time but otherwise it’s pretty darn civilized.

Edit: I should add, I also flew other airplanes within the company and had a full initial course to attend in 2017 so that contributed to my nights away.

Last edited by cdnpilot77 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Some times you just have to dive right in and see, who knows you might just like it.

S.

Torresdenochea
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Torresdenochea »

Yep, just wanted to make a comparison with Regionals. I think 8-10 nights a month you are away anyway and fly a lot more.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:09 am

Some times you just have to dive right in and see, who knows you might just like it.

S.
I have to be honest.....I love it! I didn’t get into aviation just to burn jet fuel. I got into it for the entire experience, see things, do things and just happened to have a passion for all things airplanes too. We get all of that!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

cdnpilot77 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 am

S.
I have to be honest.....I love it! I didn’t get into aviation just to burn jet fuel. I got into it for the entire experience, see things, do things and just happened to have a passion for all things airplanes too. We get all of that!
I'm the same way. I had a fork in the road a few years back between airlines and private and don't regret my decision one bit.

You meet great people, have control over lots of aspects of your life, which most people lose in larger companies but don't realise they do.

S.

billgeno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by billgeno »

cdnpilot77 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 am

S.
Geez, you guys are making this sound like quite the lifestyle my wife could could support..

Anyone looking for Ottawa based crew? :D

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

The salary in the job ad, 60k, is that the pay for FO or does it go up once they are experienced on the plane and alternating left seat every other leg, like the ad mentions.

Return to “Employment Forum”