Canadian North Interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Marauder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Canadian North Interview

Post by Marauder »

Hello Ladies and Gents,
Would anyone have any insight or tips on the Canadian North interview? Questions they ask? Any technical questions? Simulator scenario? If any? Thanks in advance for any information.
---------- ADS -----------

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Canadian North Interview

Post by fixnfly »

Pretty straightforward interview. It’s about an hour long with HR and one of the chief pilots asking typical HR questions like why you want to work at Canadian North and name a time you made a mistake, strengths and weaknesses etc. I think if you pass that then they’ll ask you to do a sim eval or they might have scheduled both the interview and simeval one after the other. It’s in the 737 sim in YEG. A couple steep turns, a hold, a localizer or ndb approach(since some airports up north lack RNAVs and only have ndb approaches) and a single engine ILS. Then they’ll let you know usually in a week I think

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Does 5T still do the 1 yr. bond thing ?

Icamefromspace
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Icamefromspace »

fixnfly wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 am Pretty straightforward interview. It’s about an hour long with HR and one of the chief pilots asking typical HR questions like why you want to work at Canadian North and name a time you made a mistake, strengths and weaknesses etc. I think if you pass that then they’ll ask you to do a sim eval or they might have scheduled both the interview and simeval one after the other. It’s in the 737 sim in YEG. A couple steep turns, a hold, a localizer or ndb approach(since some airports up north lack RNAVs and only have ndb approaches) and a single engine ILS. Then they’ll let you know usually in a week I think
They're back doing sim evals? I thought they stopped those.

Marauder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Marauder »

Thanks for the information fixnfly

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

dhc# wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:11 am Does 5T still do the 1 yr. bond thing ?
I think it's 18 months, 18K Boeing, 12K Dash.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Careful there, may not have any jobs if the new duty regs go into effect and the US takes all the Canadian north flying... :lol:

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Umm... the treat from the US was primarily to Cargojet because the US cargo drivers are exempt from the FAA fatigue rules. The US carriers aren't a threat to 5T.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

FICU wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:50 pm Umm... the treat from the US was primarily to Cargojet because the US cargo drivers are exempt from the FAA fatigue rules. The US carriers aren't a threat to 5T.
I was just poking fun at the atac conference where Canadian north was explaining that the duty day regs would affect them negatively, including all their points was that they wouldn't be competitive against US airlines.

Dash4life
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash4life »

Back to original topic:

The interview is pretty relax and last about 45 min. We just want to get to know you. This type of operation is not for everyone. We want to see if you will be a good fit on a 8 day pairing when it is pitch black and -100C outside... The arctic is not for every one. If you are successful, you will do a sim eval in our 737 sim in YEG. Some guys are better at interviews or in the sim so we combine the two results. We just want to give a chance to everyone.

Here is some infos about the Dash 8 operation:

We have 2 bases for the Dash (Calgary and Edmonton). Edmonton based pilots are flying out of Yellowknife on 4 - 5 days rotation and Iqaluit on 5 - 8 days rotation. Accomodation is provided and perdiem rate is 4.30$ / hr from the time you check in to the time you get back to Edmonton. If you do 2 Iqaluit 8 days pairing, you will get aprox 1650$ tax free on top of your salary which is not bad! If you do 2 Yellowknife pairings, you will fly 11-12 days in your month so your perdiems will be lower but you will be home more. Depend on what you bid and what you can hold with your seniority number.

The Calgary base will be a single day pairing. Flying is to the oil sand and you get back home every night. Perdiems will be lower since you don't overnight.

If you are close or if you are meeting the upgrade matrix for Dash 8 Captain, upgrade might happen within a year like most places these days. Things can go pretty quicly as some Dash FO got into a Boeing FO seat before their Dash 8 initial line check was completed.

If you are interested in joining our eam, you can come into our office in Calgary and I will be happy to have a chat with you.

Cheers,

François

Marauder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Marauder »

Thanks for everyone’s help. The advice helped a lot for the interview.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Any Dash 8 DECs in the foreseeable future?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

Does 5T offer any travel/jumpseat agreements or flight passes with partner/other airlines ?

amazon1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by amazon1234 »

RILEY wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:25 am Does 5T offer any travel/jumpseat agreements or flight passes with partner/other airlines ?
Travel agreements with Westjet and KLM for sure and maybe others.

olivierw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by olivierw »

Back to original topic:

The interview is pretty relax and last about 45 min. We just want to get to know you. This type of operation is not for everyone. We want to see if you will be a good fit on a 8 day pairing when it is pitch black and -100C outside... The arctic is not for every one. If you are successful, you will do a sim eval in our 737 sim in YEG. Some guys are better at interviews or in the sim so we combine the two results. We just want to give a chance to everyone.

We have 2 bases for the Dash (Calgary and Edmonton). Edmonton based pilots are flying out of Yellowknife on 4 - 5 days rotation and Iqaluit on 5 - 8 days rotation. Accomodation is provided and perdiem rate is 4.30$ / hr from the time you check in to the time you get back to Edmonton. If you do 2 Iqaluit 8 days pairing, you will get aprox 1650$ tax free on top of your salary which is not bad! If you do 2 Yellowknife pairings, you will fly 11-12 days in your month so your perdiems will be lower but you will be home more. Depend on what you bid and what you can hold with your seniority number.

The Calgary base will be a single day pairing. Flying is to the oil sand and you get back home every night. Perdiems will be lower since you don't overnight.

If you are close or if you are meeting the upgrade matrix for Dash 8 Captain, upgrade might happen within a year like most places these days. Things can go pretty quicly as some Dash FO got into a Boeing FO seat before their Dash 8 initial line check was completed.

If you are interested in joining our eam, you can come into our office in Calgary and I will be happy to have a chat with you.

Cheers,

François
Hello,

Do you have anything to say about the merger with First Air? I was especially wondering in what way it would affect the seniority list. Is it going to be one and only one seniority list with the First Air and Canadian North guys? Because I know a lot of the First Air ATR guys have been there for years, so would they be the ones to upgrade to the 737s that are currently being operated by Canadian North? What about the Dash 8, are they going to stick around or are the ATRs going to replace them?

Feel free to MP me if you want but I'm really curious about that aspect of the merger.

Thanks,
Oli.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

olivierw wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:58 pm
Back to original topic:

Cheers,

François
Hello,

Do you have anything to say about the merger with First Air? I was especially wondering in what way it would affect the seniority list. Is it going to be one and only one seniority list with the First Air and Canadian North guys? Because I know a lot of the First Air ATR guys have been there for years, so would they be the ones to upgrade to the 737s that are currently being operated by Canadian North? What about the Dash 8, are they going to stick around or are the ATRs going to replace them?

Feel free to MP me if you want but I'm really curious about that aspect of the merger.

Thanks,
Oli.
It'll be a long drawn out arbitrated decision, knowing pilots not much chance each side comes to an amicable agreement. First Air guys will predictably want DoH as it would significantly advantage them and 5T will want a 1 for 1 merge of the lists. Likely an arbitrator will come in somewhere in between with pissed off people on both sides. There will probably be fences and no bump no flush clauses that will complicate it even more.

Either way its likely going to extend the 737 upgrade times significantly.

Dash4life
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash4life »

We are all curious about this merger. At this time, we are not sure how the "new" company will look like. Both seniority list will be merged at some point. Both unions (ALPA) are working on it. We will know more once the Competition Bureau take his decision and if the merger is allowed. Hopefully we will know by mid March. More to come...

Dash4life
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash4life »

We are all curious about this merger. At this time, we are not sure how the "new" company will look like. Both seniority list will be merged at some point. Both unions (ALPA) are working on it. We will know more once the Competition Bureau take his decision and if the merger is allowed. Hopefully we will know by mid March. More to come...

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

François, what are you looking experience wise for the Dash8 crews?

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Dash4life
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash4life »

My first criteria is the attitude of the candidate. We have the training program, skills and knowledge to train the right person even if experience is low. I believe that if someone is highly motivated and work hard during training, there is no reasons why he or she would not pass and become a solid driver with us. We will work as hard as you do and help as much as we can. We just hired some solid guys last year with 250 hours for the Dash 8 and with less than 800 hours for the Boeing. Attitude is the key!

Things are slow right now. Hopefully this will change in the coming months once we will know what will happen with the merger.

Return to “Employment Forum”