Thunder Airlines

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Thunder Airlines

Post by FL007 »

That posting for MU-2 FO/Captains is actually one of the best ads i've seen for employment, in terms of transparency. Back when I was doing the road trip years ago for my first job nobody even had the decency to contact me back, other than the CP of Thunder, although it was to tell me I needed more experience before I was acceptable, I really appreciated the response.

Literally so impressed at how everything is laid out. I'm not interested in it personally but this is more the type of job postings we need on this site. Work conditions, the straight up salary matrix with no hidden shit, etc.

I've never had the pleasure to work at Thunder Airlines and I probably never will, but I will always respect them as a company for doing stuff like this.
---------- ADS -----------

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Thunder Airlines

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

I agree. The CP must have put it together. The HR woman doesn't know a planes rudder from it's elevator. That company must miss out on some great applicants if they stopped the hiring process due to their HR department.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 pm I agree. The CP must have put it together. The HR woman doesn't know a planes rudder from it's elevator. That company must miss out on some great applicants if they stopped the hiring process due to their HR department.
Unfortunately, this is the case at many companies. Don’t get me started on HR...

Flapsdownletsgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flapsdownletsgo »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 pm I agree. The CP must have put it together. The HR woman doesn't know a planes rudder from it's elevator. That company must miss out on some great applicants if they stopped the hiring process due to their HR department.
She is well aware of what the requirements are and I assure you the appropriate resumes end up on the appropriate desks.

ThunderCP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThunderCP »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 pm The HR woman doesn't know a planes rudder from it's elevator.
That’s both rude and irrelevant. Our HR department is probably better now than it’s ever been and that’s because we have an experienced Human Resources professional running it and not some random pilot. It’s important to have the right people to fill a given position and it really doesn’t matter what technical details they know about other jobs in the company if it has no bearing on their own work.
Flapsdownletsgo wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:00 am She is well aware of what the requirements are and I assure you the appropriate resumes end up on the appropriate desks.
Can confirm. My plate is pretty full these days so HR is helping with filtering, but the relevant ones do end up on my desk. I wish I still had the time to personally respond to each and every application like I used to, but unfortunately I just dont’t. Right now HR has a flight experience threshold that they’re drawing the line at which is driven by the immovable requirements of a couple major contracts we hold.
FL007 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 am That posting for MU-2 FO/Captains is actually one of the best ads i've seen for employment, in terms of transparency.
Thank you, I worked hard on it to try and give the most accurate representation of the job that I could. If I expect an applicant’s resume to be thorough I think I owe the same to all potential candidates.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Thunder CP
Class act. Say Hi to Kaj
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Xonga013 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 pmUnfortunately, this is the case at many companies. Don’t get me started on HR...
I can deal with HR. But the safety department...

ThunderCP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThunderCP »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:02 pm I can deal with HR. But the safety department...
I'm sorry you feel that way, I'd like to think our safety department is made up of all our employees. If you currently work for Thunder I encourage you to take your concerns to your department manager, or if you feel they're the problem take it a spot higher on the Org Chart. If you're not presently working here that's possibly more startling that we appear that way from the outside, contact me directly and I'll look into it.

ThunderCP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThunderCP »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 pm Say Hi to Kaj
Can do!

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

It’s nice to see the CP of a company come out here and try to straighten things out. We need more people like that in Canadian aviation. Well done!

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

ThunderCP wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:22 pm I'm sorry you feel that way, I'd like to think our safety department is made up of all our employees. If you currently work for Thunder I encourage you to take your concerns to your department manager, or if you feel they're the problem take it a spot higher on the Org Chart. If you're not presently working here that's possibly more startling that we appear that way from the outside, contact me directly and I'll look into it.
My statement was more just a blanket comment for everywhere.. Definitely was not making reference to Thunder specifically.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

It’s nice to see the CP of a company come out here and try to straighten things out. We need more people like that in Canadian aviation. Well done!
Excellent, the industry needs more of these people who actually understand the importance of the job and actually do it in a professional manner.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

With the 7 on, 7 off any chance to commute? I'm in Stoney Creek and wife doesn't want to move up north but Thunder looks like a pretty good place to build time for a while.

ThunderCP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThunderCP »

LegoMan wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 am With the 7 on, 7 off any chance to commute? I'm in Stoney Creek and wife doesn't want to move up north but Thunder looks like a pretty good place to build time for a while.
It's possible and many of our pilots do head out of town on their days off, but of course the expectation is that you're available and properly rested for your days on.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

bonuses have changed, but thats the same pay scale they had 15 years ago. 15 years ago they lead the way with pay, today they're very much falling behind

ThunderCP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThunderCP »

leftoftrack wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 am thats the same pay scale they had 15 years ago.
Do you have any proof to substantiate that? If not, posts like these are why so many job ads have next to zero information in them.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

leftoftrack wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 am bonuses have changed, but thats the same pay scale they had 15 years ago. 15 years ago they lead the way with pay, today they're very much falling behind

Completely inaccurate.

On the commuting topic-
Many commute with Thunder. They have passes with the AC family, and Porter. I'd recommend calling them up and asking the CP some questions, it'll get him away from having his head stuck in his Model T.
You'd have a very easy time commuting to YYZ or YTZ if you are able to get the YTS base. Loads are lighter than in YQT. Sometimes you could even drive if necessary.

Best 703 out there.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

10 years ago I was offered a job under the same base plus milage, Avcanada doesn't keep a history of job postings that far back. the bonuses have changed but the rest is the same (they've ditched the bond apparently) the second the ability to find pilots comes esier the bonuses get cut out and bam their labor cost are the same they were 15 years ago.

but the CP comes on here regularly, ask him/her

govida
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by govida »

leftoftrack,

You're absolutely right. It surprises me how pilot are just gobbling up these bonuses like it's a game changer. The salaries are what needs to go up. Pilot should call up their bank and ask if they can put bonuses as part of the income when applying for a mortgage, their answer may surprise them. Bank know that these glorious bonuses can be pulled at any time.

Similar to pilots that take the low paying regional jobs just because there is plenty of opportunity for OT. There is going to be a time when there isn't going to be any OT available, and you will go back to your monthly credit. This is why good credit and hourly pay are important, we're simply in a honeymoon period right now.

My employer just implemented a bonus structure to try and stem bleeding, with the idea that it will become part of the salary during the next CBA. But they have 2 years for the economy to tank and be able to just yank those bonuses under the excuse of "different employment market".

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

leftoftrack wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 am 10 years ago I was offered a job under the same base plus milage, Avcanada doesn't keep a history of job postings that far back. the bonuses have changed but the rest is the same (they've ditched the bond apparently) the second the ability to find pilots comes esier the bonuses get cut out and bam their labor cost are the same they were 15 years ago.

but the CP comes on here regularly, ask him/her
Perhaps over a decade you have forgotten the exact details. I did work for Thunder 10 years ago, and those were not the rates they were offering!

Since you mentioned 15 years ago, that matches the earliest pay scale I can recall. At that time the base pay was $24,000 for everyone (FOs and Capts), and mileage ranged between $0.02 for a junior FO up to $0.24 for a somewhat senior captain.

By 2008, the FO pay still started at $24k + $0.02/mile, but the base went to $32k if you had >1500TT and >500MPIC. Captain pay was $36k + $0.10/mile for the first year, $42k + $0.12/mile second year, and $48k + $0.14/mile third year. You also got a $5000 bonus after two years as captain, and $5000 again each year on the anniversary of your upgrade.

The pay now starts at $35k + $0.02/mile for an FO, and $55k + $0.10/mile for a Captain. Plus they pay a premium on top of your base salary if you are an air ambulance pilot, and/or an Ontario Government approves captain. So your base salary can easily be $10k more, if you have the time requirements.

Thunder has paid out retention bonuses every year for more than 10 years; at one point they advertised it as part of the salary, but the numbers posted today do not include this bonus. It is just that; a bonus. A thank you for year(s) of hard work and dedication, and for staying with the company. You can’t get a mortgage based on it, so don’t take it to the bank.... take it to the toy store!

I no longer work for Thunder, but I met a lot of great people there, and cannot think of a better company to work for in the 703/704 world. And if you want to make it a career company, that is very doable. Or put in some time, get some great experience, and move on... you’ll see many ex-Thunder pilots at every major airline in Canada, and a few others around the world.

Return to “Employment Forum”