Wasaya 'apprentice pilot'

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mimister
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wasaya 'apprentice pilot'

Post by mimister »

I just got a first job offer at Wasaya as an apprentice pilot. Which means ramp and they say I'll do some flying. 3 month commitment as an apprentice and than move on to 100% flying.

Any solid opinions on that ?
---------- ADS -----------

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Wasaya 'apprentice pilot'

Post by Xonga013 »

Don’t think you will find many solid comments other than negative ones. I for one don’t agree with shit like this, but I don’t judge people who make this career choice either , we all have our reasons for doing things, but I do think it hurts our industry. There’s no reason you couldn’t go straight to flying if you have 200
hrs.

KingAirlol
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KingAirlol »

What do you have to loose?
Take job earn money see what it's like
And bounce if you don't like it
In the mean time you are working in aviation and closer to flying then you are right now

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I really do not understand what “apprentice” pilot means.

How exactly, in three months of working the ramp are you going to be better qualified to fly a plane?

Personally, I find employers that prey on the eager , young, and stupid beyond contempt.
A pool of pilots to fill the revolving door....and as a bonus will work their assess off to “prove “ themselves.

But until the pilot shortage gets so severe that the bottom of the bell curve of new CPLs become in demand, the evil and the stupid will join to perpetuate this practice.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
DC_Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DC_Pilot »

I can tell you now that the 3 months they promised you will easily turn into 9+. Take it if it's all you've been offered, but I would highly suggest trying to find somewhere that will let you fly right away.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Relax people, he will be on flight line in no time, a little ground work at least proves to the company you are detail oriented, diligent, hard working, and not a total idiot.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

You could counter and agree to work as an apprentice "pilot" if they give you a type rating at the beginning of your contract. That would pretty much guarantee you'll move onto the flight line within 6 months. Win-Win. Chances are though there is another resume under you of someone that is willing to do the job as is.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

mimister wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:36 am I just got a first job offer at Wasaya as an apprentice pilot. Which means ramp and they say I'll do some flying. 3 month commitment as an apprentice and than move on to 100% flying.

Apprentice pilot is not a thing, if you haven’t figured that out already. They are just playing you like an electric banjo. Go fly pipeline patrol, surveys, jump flying or instruct. If you want to be a pilot, go up north and get a flying job. This is not necessary. There’s lots of better gigs out there for low timers.

Ps. If you end up accepting it for whatever reason, I agree with flying Jerry, at least get the type rating right off the bat, then if they screw you over and don’t let you fly after you have served your time, you have the type rating and can gtf outta there and get a better job quicker.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Relax people, he will be on flight line in no time, a little ground work at least proves to the company you are detail oriented, diligent, hard working, and not a total idiot.
Really? They can not assess this when hiring? Or as pilot? It has to be ground work to properly assess that someone is not a total idiot.
Seems to me if they take the position as an “ Apprentice Pilot “ they have already failed the total idiot test.

It is amazing what kool aid some employers want you to drink, and how willing and able some pilots are to agree and rationalize it as well.

The goods news is after three months and “proving” yourself the company will give you a type rating based on your word. No bond needed. Right?
Or does the company still want a bond....? Share that with us mixturerich

Accident speculation:
Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Yeah really. If they are going to bond you, might as well start flying right away. Otherwise, you are cheap labour.

CFWGF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CFWGF »

mimister
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mimister »

Thanks for the comments. I'd love to do pipeline, or other low hour flying job. I've applied to 50 places but all the responses were ramp. Each one I've followed up with a phone call., not much success. Wasaya was the shortest ramp, 3 months. Am I doing something wrong ?

The way I see it is I'll do max 3 months ramp and than fly.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

You are doing something wrong. Get in your car and drive. “Follow up phone calls” don’t cut it.

You think you’ll do “max three months ramp” before you fly? That’s a pretty delusioned notion.

There’s an old saying in the industry, “you know it’s bad when TIYCP makes fun of you.”
6BE437CA-3776-4678-B8EC-C390355D71A7.jpeg
6BE437CA-3776-4678-B8EC-C390355D71A7.jpeg (333.76 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Thanks for the comments. I'd love to do pipeline, or other low hour flying job. I've applied to 50 places but all the responses were ramp. Each one I've followed up with a phone call., not much success. Wasaya was the shortest ramp, 3 months. Am I doing something wrong ?
The internet is amazing. But it can also lead the lazy to think they are accomplishing much. There is little effort to carpet bomb 50;companies with your resume. And as there are about two hundred doing it, that means companies inboxes are full.
Even us old farts quickly learn how to “delete all” or edit.

Saying you contacted 50 companies, or even 500 is not an accomplishment.
Following up with a phone call to see if they know how to use the delete button is a bit futile.
What do you say? “ I know you are busy Mr/Ms CP, but I need a job so I thought Iwould followup on the resume I sent you. Which one of the 300;you received, was it?”

I am not making this up when I say I have had pilots tell me they are going to call me every day and pester me until I give them the job...

The road trip seems to work according to some. Might be worth the effort.

Or you could focus your efforts. Take some time to do a bit of research that involves more than a cursury pass over their info. Write a very focussed cover letter addressed to the CP by name. No cutsey stuff about your junior woodchuck badges or your dreams and ambitions.
Do not explain that you have extensive cross country and international flight experience with your 200 hours total time. In short...don’t BS. And don’t think for a minute that someone you carpet bombed a resume gives a rat’s ptui about your hopes and dreams. There are 200 more just like you. If you say you would “love” to do pipeline patrols, it might just be a good idea to actually understand what that entails. Your prospective employer might just ask what you “ love” about it. A deer in the headlight stare is not a great response. Same goes with other speciality jobs.

Don’t take an “apprentice pilot” position or any other promise of a seat job. Tough it out, don’t come on here for validation, empathy, encouragement, or motivation. It will happen. Just not so much for those that consider looking at their phones the most important thing they do each day.

Good luck. Remember everyone started out at least once

Last edited by trey kule on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accident speculation:
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

mimister wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:36 am I just got a first job offer at Wasaya as an apprentice pilot. Which means ramp and they say I'll do some flying. 3 month commitment as an apprentice and than move on to 100% flying.

If you’re making a commitment to them, what are they committing in turn? If they are guaranteeing a PPC at the three month mark then it might be worth your while, a sort of extended interview to confirm you’re not useless. If it’s “three months then we’ll look at a flying position” you have a much harder decision to make.

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Take the job if it’s all you’ve been offered. Worst thing that happens is in 3 short months you’ve made a few contacts, made a few bucks, and hopefully applied to a few more jobs. Best case is you get on the flight line.
flyingjerry wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:48 pm You could counter and agree to work as an apprentice "pilot" if they give you a type rating at the beginning of your contract. That would pretty much guarantee you'll move onto the flight line within 6 months. Win-Win. Chances are though there is another resume under you of someone that is willing to do the job as is.
No way would they ever go for this. No company would. Even in this climate they’ve got 10 guys standing next in line for this position. Also PPC’ing prior to ramp negates their whole show us your work ethic position. Not saying I agree or disagree with the whole notion however.

citabriaguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citabriaguy »

Take the best option you have. Simple as that.

In my time up north I've seen some apprentice pilots with Wasaya. They get a PPC quite early on a Caravan and fly right seat which is loggable time in their COM. They get some valuable exp in my opinion and do some rampie stuff.

Seems like a half decent place to work. The 25 PIC a week on 206s comes with 70-90 hrs a week, no days off and at least one billious owner/cp

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I would say 10 years ago, working the ramp might be necessary. With the industry the way it is now, I don't think you should work the ramp. I've heard of lots of people getting straight into a PC-12 with a fresh CPL/IFR. Good luck!

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

mixturerich wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:07 pm Relax people, he will be on flight line in no time, a little ground work at least proves to the company you are detail oriented, diligent, hard working, and not a total idiot.
That’s what interview, references check, orientation, ground school, training, and line indoc does.

Sure looks stupid when you graduate a guy out of the slave labour position to realize that driving a forklift isn’t a transferable skill to the cockpit and that even retards can wrap boxes on pallets and roll drums.

Return to “Employment Forum”