Jazz & Encore References

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jazz & Encore References

Post by Xonga013 »

Anyone know if these companies accept non-aviation references (as if you are not currently employed by an aviation company)

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Jazz & Encore References

Post by matthew.oommen »

Xonga013 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:37 pm Anyone know if these companies accept non-aviation references (as if you are not currently employed by an aviation company)

Thanks
They usually expect at least 2-3 aviation references from more /most recent employers.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Jazz requires a minimum of two references from direct supervisors. The examples given are; chief pilot, ops manager or director of flight ops. They are specific in mentioning that training pilots, dispatchers etc are not appropriate references.

You will need references from the last company in aviation that you flew for, unless of course you are from the college or pathways initiatives.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Rowdy wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 am Jazz requires a minimum of two references from direct supervisors. The examples given are; chief pilot, ops manager or director of flight ops. They are specific in mentioning that training pilots, dispatchers etc are not appropriate references.

You will need references from the last company in aviation that you flew for, unless of course you are from the college or pathways initiatives.
What if you can’t/won’t be able to get an appropriate reference from the last company you flew at, but can get references from the other prior companies?

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Why wouldn’t you be able to get references from your last company? Usually that’s a red flag.

Someone applied to a company I used to work for. They didn’t put a reference down, but extolled their piloting ability at that company when dealing with an emergency. A quick call to the company revealed that emergency was self inflicted. Round bin.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

It’s no red flag at all. The company was rather large and I never got to meet the upper management (CP, DFO etc didn’t even know me) Decided to leave for reasons I won’t discuss here, but I don’t expect a reference nor do I think they will provide one for someone they didn’t really know (unless it is to confirm that this person did in fact work here blah)

Also, why does Jazz put candidates on the spot? What if you don’t want your current employer to know you are looking to go elsewhere? I Don’t think that’s right.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Xonga013 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:53 pm What if you don’t want your current employer to know you are looking to go elsewhere? I Don’t think that’s right.
:roll: Red flag already .. goodbye

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

northernpilot2 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:00 pm
Xonga013 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:53 pm What if you don’t want your current employer to know you are looking to go elsewhere? I Don’t think that’s right.
:roll: Red flag already .. goodbye
LOL what a childish forum

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:24 pm Why wouldn’t you be able to get references from your last company? Usually that’s a red flag.
I know you said "usually' and not "always", so I guess you could be correct. However, I'd like to point out that there are a number of reasons why people can't list a reference from their current employer.
1) The employer would fire you out of spite if they knew you were planning on leaving. It would be a real asshole move to do so, and illegal as well, but people usually leave employers because they aren't the greatest...
2) The pilot stood up for himself, resulting in a sour relationship with management, and again the reason for leaving.
3) The direct supervisor of the pilot is leaving/already left the company as well. The new boss hardly knows the pilot. In this case you could technically use the new boss as a reference, but it wouldn't be very meaningful.

I have witnessed all 3 options personally.

Now, if you've worked for 5 aviation companies and none of them want to give you a reference, then maybe something might be wrong with you :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 am
Zaibatsu wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:24 pm Why wouldn’t you be able to get references from your last company? Usually that’s a red flag.
I know you said "usually' and not "always", so I guess you could be correct. However, I'd like to point out that there are a number of reasons why people can't list a reference from their current employer.
1) The employer would fire you out of spite if they knew you were planning on leaving. It would be a real asshole move to do so, and illegal as well, but people usually leave employers because they aren't the greatest...
2) The pilot stood up for himself, resulting in a sour relationship with management, and again the reason for leaving.
3) The direct supervisor of the pilot is leaving/already left the company as well. The new boss hardly knows the pilot. In this case you could technically use the new boss as a reference, but it wouldn't be very meaningful.

I have witnessed all 3 options personally.

Now, if you've worked for 5 aviation companies and none of them want to give you a reference, then maybe something might be wrong with you :wink:
Thank you! Somebody who gets it. I like how many people judge you here not knowing everything about your situation.

Yes, if none of your previous employers give you a reference, there is a red flag pattern IMO. If you left your previous job due to circumstances, why can’t you get a chance of a fresh start somewhere where you might fit better?

Anyway, for every guy like digits there’s 10 out there like northerntroll who are quick to judge.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Reference check happens a little later in the recruitment process. When you reach that point, be open with HR and they will guide you as to what references will be acceptable. If you are a suitable candidate, then it shouldn't be a problem.

JP

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Xonga013 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:44 am
Rowdy wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 am Jazz requires a minimum of two references from direct supervisors. The examples given are; chief pilot, ops manager or director of flight ops. They are specific in mentioning that training pilots, dispatchers etc are not appropriate references.

What if you can’t/won’t be able to get an appropriate reference from the last company you flew at, but can get references from the other prior companies?
I understand where you are coming from. At the operator who I was flying for, we had two managers, one for each aspect of the operation. Being qualified on multiple types, I reported to both. One was, an interesting character and I could not EVER trust that individual to provide a credible reference. The other was all around a better human and could be trusted to provide an accurate representation of anyones character. Even with that being said, I was still uncomfortable as I knew they would both converse with each other about movement. I had a good discussion with the latter AND then advised the HR lady at Jazz why I would rather not associate my name or employment with the other individual. Non-event, as I had also provided references from two previous employers Chief Pilots as well.

They do raise a red flag if you have not mentioned to your present employer that you are in the interview process with Jazz. Its one of the first questions asked in the interview actually.. so if you are not able to use that employer, be sure to have an appropriate and applicable reason as to why.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Thanks to all who contributed in a positive manner to this topic. I will see where the road takes me. Im confident that this won’t be an issue as I have nothing to hide and any potential employer is more than welcome to contact anyone they wish. I would just rather avoid certain people as references. I also don’t want to put managers in a spot they don’t wish to be. But if it comes to this hard requirement, I can ask for a reference or two from my previous company. Worst case scenerio, they say no.

On another note, things have slowed at Jazz and applicants can expect some delay in the hiring process. I might see myself finding employment somewhere else if needed.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Seriously man, there's no downside in asking a manager, even if you don't know them that well to provide a reference. If worse comes to worse a past captain or something. If you want them to not be in a bad position when jazz calls, make sure you lets your refs know in advance. Good luck!

Return to “Employment Forum”