Morningstar

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Morningstar

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

govida wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:25 am schnitzel, exactly!

I agree that the majors win any sort of comparison, and the gap just gets worse as time goes on and seniority is built. But compared to any of the regionals, well, no comparison as you mentioned.

I guess the only real reason remaining to take a regional job is, if you're gunning for AC (like most are) and you're placing your bet on having a better chance than someone OTS by being at an express. Or whatever ends up happening once the dust settles with the whole, encore-westjet thing.
Even then, the OTS streams, especially from Westjet seem to be favoured on a lot of groundschools. There is obviously no guarantee whatever stream you choose.
Xonga013 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:50 am What exactly is Morningstar looking for? Are they just hoping someone with Caravan time applies? What does it take to get a call?
I couldn't tell ya with reference to your current experience, but because the Caravan is SPIFR, if your resume is screaming bare minimums, I can't imagine Alan or Barclay are jumping on that.

Bare minimums for these guys are 1500 hours. They generally will not hire without 2000 hours and some PIC and IFR time.

S.
---------- ADS -----------

govida
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by govida »

schnitzel,

I'm wondering if WJ will keep on taking OTS guys, or is every WJ/Swoop opening going to be filled from encore once the CBA is finalized? I guess we shall see when the agreement is in place.

Xonga,

I'm sorry to say I couldn't tell you exactly what they are looking for, as I am not part of the hiring process. What I can guarantee you is that 1000 hours is the bare bones legal requirement as the caravan is flown SPIFR. That being said, I have yet to see them hire someone with that sort of time. Speculating, I would agree with schnitzel. They probably want some decent TT and a good portion of that PIC. Which is what all of the new guys seem to have. The company has had some problems with jet drivers not making it through line indoc, so I'd wager they would be more careful now on taking someone that has only been on the right seat.

That being said, it could simply be that they are getting ready for the next batch of van drivers that are moving to the 757 and are just trying to get ahead of the game, but don't need to hire anyone just yet.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

govida wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:04 pm schnitzel,

I'm wondering if WJ will keep on taking OTS guys, or is every WJ/Swoop opening going to be filled from encore once the CBA is finalized? I guess we shall see when the agreement is in place.
Hehe I meant Westjet to AC. They seem to have a lot of WS and Encore drivers in their groundschool, mind you there is a fair amount of fluctuation with respect to AC ground schools overall.

Xonga,

Flying the Caravan isn't a hard job on a vfr day but since they are flown IFR out of Pearson and Vancouver, you need a reasonably experienced pilot to manage the workload. I actually quite enjoyed SPIFR, it was some of the most challenging and rewarding flying of my career. I'd go back to it, but with a much more capable machine, I don't like sitting in the soup sifting around CBs or dodging icing.

Good luck with your application.

S.

govida
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by govida »

Oh I knew thats what you meant, but I was wondering about WJ. Will be interesting to see if mainline closes its doors and everyone has to come through encore.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Thanks guys

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

Has anyone been interviewed or heard back after an interview?

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

Caravan bonus is 6K every six months.

The 1st 6k is paid to you on your 1st check.......

So there is no waiting around for the bonus to hit. You will miss out on some on the back end depending on when you started.

The upgrade time on the B757 at the moment is less than a year. Driving to work at night with no traffic allows for living in cheaper regions like Oshawa and Hamilton etc. The B757 is GORGEOUS!

The training is always top notch.

I work at MAL and I love it. Great crew, great Chief Pilots, good pay and benefits. I've worked on both the Caravan and the B757.

I would not recommend this job for those seeking a quick route to the majors. If you enjoy most weekends off and all holidays off working with a great crew on well maintained aircraft for decent pay and benefits then apply.

Nights on the 57 can be tough, but that comes with obvious rewards. The Caravan sched is a game changer. (Plus that bonus!!)

Finally, I feel respected and appreciated here. The company and union allow me to do what I want. I feel like the CPs genuinely want you to be happy.

I never have, and likely never will apply to AC.. Whatever that is worth.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Duukar wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:02 pm Caravan bonus is 6K every six months.

The 1st 6k is paid to you on your 1st check.......

So there is no waiting around for the bonus to hit. You will miss out on some on the back end depending on when you started.

The upgrade time on the B757 at the moment is less than a year. Driving to work at night with no traffic allows for living in cheaper regions like Oshawa and Hamilton etc. The B757 is GORGEOUS!

The training is always top notch.

I work at MAL and I love it. Great crew, great Chief Pilots, good pay and benefits. I've worked on both the Caravan and the B757.

I would not recommend this job for those seeking a quick route to the majors. If you enjoy most weekends off and all holidays off working with a great crew on well maintained aircraft for decent pay and benefits then apply.

Nights on the 57 can be tough, but that comes with obvious rewards. The Caravan sched is a game changer. (Plus that bonus!!)

Finally, I feel respected and appreciated here. The company and union allow me to do what I want. I feel like the CPs genuinely want you to be happy.

I never have, and likely never will apply to AC.. Whatever that is worth.
Is the 757 commutable from a city with a caravan base?

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

A few commute from Winnipeg and Edmonton(not a 208 base). Vancouver is out of the question in my opinion.

Rumor mill says they are taking steps to make commuting more viable. These are strictly rumors at this point.

Dragon2017
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dragon2017 »

G'Day

In regards to the C208 position out of YYZ, is there a requirement to be within a certain distance, or time to the airport for those days that you may be on reserve? Is it possible to live in a city that is one hour away with this position?

Regards

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

How much of a stickler are they on the hours requirement for the 208 as well?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

FishermanIvan wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:40 am How much of a stickler are they on the hours requirement for the 208 as well?
If you are short of their new 1500 hour requirement you can always try it, but realize it is single pilot IFR in southern Ontario.

They used to have as a requirement 2000 hrs with significant PIC, or 1500 with 500hrs on Caravans specifically because it can be a challenging environment when the weather isn't cooperating.

S.

Return to “Employment Forum”