Morningstar

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Morningstar

Post by Xonga013 »

Always posting the same job. Sure they must have 50-100 solid resumes to pick from, yet still posting...
---------- ADS -----------

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Morningstar

Post by goleafsgo »

I have close to double their requirements and applied recently to an ad and never heard

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:45 pm I have close to double their requirements and applied recently to an ad and never heard
You’re not the only one. This might be a
PASCO 2.0

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

Xonga013 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:50 pm
goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:45 pm I have close to double their requirements and applied recently to an ad and never heard
PASCO 2.0
Morningstar has a solid reputation in this industry, so I would doubt that. With all the movement in the industry, it may be good planning to have a pool of qualified candidates to draw from.

From their website:
We are currently accepting applications to be kept on file for consideration within the 2018 calendar year:

C208 Captains based in Vancouver, Toronto or Winnipeg

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

What’s this “pool” BS. You can’t tell people you have vacancies and then shove them in a pool to hold with other applicants so you can cherry pick when convenient when the time comes. How many of those people would have found jobs by then anyway?

You need a vacancy filled? Post an ad with a closing date, review the resumes and interview from there. Don’t collect resumes for shits and giggles.

Yes, Im waiting for the “you have a bad attitude “ comment from somebody. So flame away if you wish, I just don’t think its fair to applicants. The actual AvCanada ad, doesn’t even mention a pool.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

Xonga013 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:23 am What’s this “pool” BS. You can’t tell people you have vacancies and then shove them in a pool to hold with other applicants so you can cherry pick when convenient when the time comes. How many of those people would have found jobs by then anyway?

You need a vacancy filled? Post an ad with a closing date, review the resumes and interview from there. Don’t collect resumes for shits and giggles.

Yes, Im waiting for the “you have a bad attitude “ comment from somebody. So flame away if you wish, I just don’t think its fair to applicants. The actual AvCanada ad, doesn’t even mention a pool.
Millennial much with that entitlement?

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

No, just an old alcoholic!

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

Xonga013 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:23 am What’s this “pool” BS. You can’t tell people you have vacancies and then shove them in a pool to hold with other applicants so you can cherry pick when convenient when the time comes. How many of those people would have found jobs by then anyway?

Like it or not, "pool of candidates" is commonplace across many industries. If you don't like it, don't apply.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

atpilot wrote:
Xonga013 wrote:
PASCO 2.0
Morningstar has a solid reputation in this industry, so I would doubt that. With all the movement in the industry, it may be good planning to have a pool of qualified candidates to draw from.
Pasco has a solid reputation, too.

But the realities are, neither are paying enough to attract and retain talent in the centres in which they operate. Who’s going to fly a Caravan (or 1900) when they can get on with Jazz or Encore with the same requirements. Short term pain, long term gain unless you’re one of the few that gets on the 757... still trying to scrape by in YYZ.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

atpilot wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:14 am

Like it or not, "pool of candidates" is commonplace across many industries. If you don't like it, don't apply.
Where does it say “pool of candidates” on this job ad? Sure if you dig enough into their website you will find it, but the ad here on AvCanada is misleading if they actually don’t have a job.

Maybe they do have an opening, who knows. My point being, they should have sufficient resumes on file.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:00 am
atpilot wrote:
Xonga013 wrote:
PASCO 2.0
Pasco has a solid reputation, too.

But the realities are, neither are paying enough to attract and retain talent in the centres in which they operate. Who’s going to fly a Caravan (or 1900) when they can get on with Jazz or Encore with the same requirements. Short term pain, long term gain unless you’re one of the few that gets on the 757... still trying to scrape by in YYZ.
Even the 757 pay is tough to make ends meet if you are living close to any of their urban centres.

Great company, but unifor should have pushed harder for past salary levels that were rolled back in the last agreement and never recouped. Strike option was removed from contracts so union really has very little bargaining power going forward, which shows in the contract negotiations.

Work life balance is on par with the airlines, minus any travel benefits, but you rarely have to fly on any weekends or banking holidays. However, you work exclusively on the backside of the clock on the jet side. Prop side is much easier as it is day only, but be ready to spend copious amounts of time in the ice and dodging thunderstorms.

The guys that are on the Caravans right now enjoy the lifestyle as it is M-F (2-3-ish days per week). The Vans are well cared for, good avionics. Shows are between 0630-0730, and you get back in the car at night between 1900-2000.

S.

Attachments
mstarpay2.jpg
mstarpay2.jpg (83.7 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
mstarpay.png
mstarpay.png (134.51 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

That money BLOWS. No wonder they always have an Ad

InSanes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by InSanes »

jazz has a pool too, its everywhere

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

can you workout with your coworkers which days off you have? that seriously sounds like other than the money it is the best Quality of life of any flying job ever.

govida
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by govida »

While I agree that the current pay-scales are well below what they should be, specially on the 757 side of thing. Lets remember that it is miles ahead of any of the regionals. So if pilots are crawling over each other to get to the mighty Q or RJ, they shouldn't be bashing Morningstar pay.

The pilots are on the 4th year of the current CBA so that means 1st year Caravan pay start at $50,839, whats first year at any of the regionals again? Thats just 5k short of "big reds" first year. Yes I know there is no real comparison against AC, just putting things into perspective. The average month on the van is 10-12 days, weekends and holidays are always off, how much seniority would you need at the regionals to be able to pull that off? You don't have to worry about loading or offloading, as FEDEX takes care of that, and you can spray to your hearts content during the winter months and not hear a peep from management.

On the Caravan side, you can shift trade with co-workers as much as you'd like. The schedule comes out 1-2 weeks before the start of the month and you can trade as you need, then. The people in charge of making the schedule will try to accommodate a day off request, since they have to award 29 GDOs every 3 months. It typically works out if you give them enough notice, but it is not a guarantee. If they can't award it, you can resort to shift trades. That being said, the "10-12" work per month doesn't give the complete picture. The days you don't work and are not on a GDO, will be reserve days. My whole time there I never got called for reserve once, but it can happen. That being said, I never felt like I had to hang around the house on said reserve days. I could plan a full day and go about it with a very low expectation of being called, again, I never got called.

There have been some new developments at the company. Caravan pilots get a 12,000 retention bonus if they stay for 12 months, repayable on a prorated basis if you leave before the 12 months. Effectively, your salary is $63,000 first year on the Caravan, what are the regionals paying again?

The Boeing first year pay is just shy of 65k now, considerably more than any of the majors. But as you can see on the chart, it stagnates very quickly after the first couple of years. You'd be flying approximately 15 days a month on the Boeing, but the shitty part is that 99% of the flying is red-eyes. Thats hard and the body and difficult to make a career out of. Most of the previous Van-757 moves have been less than a year lately. That will probably continue, if the current industry conditions continue or worsen (for the companies). There have been people whom have gone direct entry 757 recently. No talk yet of any change in 757 compensation before the CBA renewal in 2020.

The pilots are represented by unifor2002, you can find the current CBA online.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

govida wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:25 pm While I agree that the current pay-scales are well below what they should be, specially on the 757 side of thing. Lets remember that it is miles ahead of any of the regionals. So if pilots are crawling over each other to get to the mighty Q or RJ, they shouldn't be bashing Morningstar pay.

The pilots are on the 4th year of the current CBA so that means 1st year Caravan pay start at $50,839, whats first year at any of the regionals again? Thats just 5k short of "big reds" first year. Yes I know there is no real comparison against AC, just putting things into perspective. The average month on the van is 10-12 days, weekends and holidays are always off, how much seniority would you need at the regionals to be able to pull that off? You don't have to worry about loading or offloading, as FEDEX takes care of that, and you can spray to your hearts content during the winter months and not hear a peep from management.

On the Caravan side, you can shift trade with co-workers as much as you'd like. The schedule comes out 1-2 weeks before the start of the month and you can trade as you need, then. The people in charge of making the schedule will try to accommodate a day off request, since they have to award 29 GDOs every 3 months. It typically works out if you give them enough notice, but it is not a guarantee. If they can't award it, you can resort to shift trades. That being said, the "10-12" work per month doesn't give the complete picture. The days you don't work and are not on a GDO, will be reserve days. My whole time there I never got called for reserve once, but it can happen. That being said, I never felt like I had to hang around the house on said reserve days. I could plan a full day and go about it with a very low expectation of being called, again, I never got called.

There have been some new developments at the company. Caravan pilots get a 12,000 retention bonus if they stay for 12 months, repayable on a prorated basis if you leave before the 12 months. Effectively, your salary is $63,000 first year on the Caravan, what are the regionals paying again?

The Boeing first year pay is just shy of 65k now, considerably more than any of the majors. But as you can see on the chart, it stagnates very quickly after the first couple of years. You'd be flying approximately 15 days a month on the Boeing, but the shitty part is that 99% of the flying is red-eyes. Thats hard and the body and difficult to make a career out of. Most of the previous Van-757 moves have been less than a year lately. That will probably continue, if the current industry conditions continue or worsen (for the companies). There have been people whom have gone direct entry 757 recently. No talk yet of any change in 757 compensation before the CBA renewal in 2020.

The pilots are represented by unifor2002, you can find the current CBA online.
Thanks for all that info!

govida
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by govida »

I should also mention that the bonuses takes the pilots all the way to the end of the CBA. Essentially, it is an extra $1000 a month from now on, until the end of the current CBA in 2020.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

govida wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:37 am I should also mention that the bonuses takes the pilots all the way to the end of the CBA. Essentially, it is an extra $1000 a month from now on, until the end of the current CBA in 2020.
I didn't realize it was such a large bonus. That certainly should be swaying peoples minds. It is a good experience on both machines.

Yeah, night and day (no pun intended) difference between Morningstar and regionals. No comparison there with regards to lifestyle (fly 2-5 hours day and chill in a hotel) 2 to 3 days per week. Trade off if necessary. My money would be on Morningstar if I had to go back through that experience bracket again.

But when you start looking at Air Canada, Westjet or even Air Transat as final destinations, it's hard to compete with compensation levels at those places.

To each their own, I made my choice a while back, and while there are aspects I certainly miss about Morningstar I am very happy I made the switch.

S.

govida
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by govida »

schnitzel, exactly!

I agree that the majors win any sort of comparison, and the gap just gets worse as time goes on and seniority is built. But compared to any of the regionals, well, no comparison as you mentioned.

I guess the only real reason remaining to take a regional job is, if you're gunning for AC (like most are) and you're placing your bet on having a better chance than someone OTS by being at an express. Or whatever ends up happening once the dust settles with the whole, encore-westjet thing.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

What exactly is Morningstar looking for? Are they just hoping someone with Caravan time applies? What does it take to get a call?

Return to “Employment Forum”