Transat or Sunwing ?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Transat or Sunwing ?

Post by dhc# »

If you had the choice, which of these two airlines would you choose to work for and why ?
---------- ADS -----------

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Transat or Sunwing ?

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that unless you're French, the Transat guys treat you like garbage...

Go Sunwing

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Blackdog0301 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:54 pm Don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that unless you're French, the Transat guys treat you like garbage...

Go Sunwing
False, I highly doubt Transat would only hire French from France :mrgreen:

More seriously, it is total inflammatory urband legend garbage that if you don’t speak French you will /insert whatever negative variations of the legend/....

On a side note, Transat has been around since the 80’s. Can’t say the same about a lot of other low cost, charter companies.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt Colombo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lt Colombo »

I don't think the french language is a 100% barrier, I wish i could only say good stuff about Transat but has anyone tried to apply with names like Dimitri, Julio or Mustafa??
When you do please let me know how far your application goes.

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

Lt ColomboRank 0

Re: Transat or Sunwing ?Report this postQuote

#5 Unread post Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 pm

I don't think the french language is a 100% barrier, I wish i could only say good stuff about Transat but has anyone tried to apply with names like Dimitri, Julio or Mustafa?? 

My actual name is Andrea. Im italian born and raised .
I look latino, i have an accent in all the 4 languages i speak, yet during the interview they were all extremely welcoming to me.
I m in the hiring pool for the first class after summer.

So no i presonally did not experience any resentment towards me for my name, look nor accent.

Andy

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Lt Colombo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:55 pm I don't think the french language is a 100% barrier, I wish i could only say good stuff about Transat but has anyone tried to apply with names like Dimitri, Julio or Mustafa??
So I assume you tried or know someone who did and got rebuff for some reason.
You blame it on racism without even thinking that it could be related to lack of flying experience, competences, attitude, etc...
Whatever your reason to write this, it is a pretty fallacious statement!

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Apply for both and see what happens. IF you get two offers, I'd look at the career advancement, money, etc. after taking into consideration the vibe I got from the interview (how I was treated, what people said, how people behaved).

Consider that with Sunwing you will be probably flying a 737 for life. At Transat you will have a more interesting mix of types added to your licence, if that's your thing.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Any company have their pros and cons. A quick look at both:
As Panama stated, fleet wise, SW 37's, AT different types, but soon it'll be a common Airbus fleet.
SW upgrade in a year or less if you meet the mins. AT around 5 yrs.
Destinations, SW down south, Euro deployments. AT down south, regular Euro flts.
Crews seem happy at each place.
Pay for both is similar.
Really comes down to preference or who calls first.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

TG wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:07 am
Lt Colombo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:55 pm I don't think the french language is a 100% barrier, I wish i could only say good stuff about Transat but has anyone tried to apply with names like Dimitri, Julio or Mustafa??
You blame it on racism without even thinking that it could be related to lack of flying experience, competences, attitude, etc...
A woman claims that when she drives around, drivers are jerks to her and flipping her and stuff but when her husband gets behind the wheel, the hate stops and everyone is nice to him.

Conclusion: Drivers are sexist!

Ponder that for a second...

Spitfire0511
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spitfire0511 »

I do speak French fluently even with some québécois accent ( I went to University in Quebec). I live in Quebec and my kids were born here as well and speak French as well. However I am not québécois, I don't have a French family name and I was born abroad (although I couldn't be prouder to be Canadian).
I did interview with Transat twice, let me just tell you this: the interview was extremely unprofessional and a complet lack of respect. After the first time I thought that the problem was me, after the second time I realized that doesn't matter what I said these guys would never hire me, I wonder why they called me then.
In both cases they never asked me any technical question or any situational question like " tell me about a time....". I do know of another guy with lots of experience with a similar background who is currently a 737NG Captain with the competition who went trough a similar situation with them.
On the other hand I did interview with Sunwing and honestly it was one of the most pleasant and professional interviews I ever had (and I have had many), they asked me lots of technical and situational questions and they did take the time to get to know me.
Maybe my case is an isolated one but since you guys touched the subject I wanted to share my experience.

Cheers

Lt Colombo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lt Colombo »

Hey Spitfire0511:

No your case isn't an isolated one i can assure you that i heard about 3 cases that went exactly with the same scenario, the why ? it's to make statistics look nice the politicaly correct stuff, i'm glad you made it to Sunwing.

TG:

I was an active union member for many years and took part of many interviews, i got my commercial license when probably most of the forum members were not even born believe me when i tell you that i don't say things lightly.

Andy_123:

I'm happy for you made it to the pool, i wish you a successful career.

I have nothing agaist Transat in fact i have good friends flying for them but something is up.

Take care guys.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Outlaw58 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 am
TG wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:07 am
A woman claims that when she drives around, drivers are jerks to her and flipping her and stuff but when her husband gets behind the wheel, the hate stops and everyone is nice to him.

Conclusion: Drivers are sexist!

Ponder that for a second...

You are correct.

I am too.

Moral of the story no judgment can be given in this kind of situation unless one was present.

Given the choice I would go Transat's route. Looks better long term amongst other things. The only draw back is that you will most likely end up based in Toronto with them.
Sunwing? If they fold one day you have the best PPC/hours on type you can have to sell yourself overseas. B-737

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Is there any attrition from Transat to AC?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

DanWEC wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:09 am Is there any attrition from Transat to AC?
June GS had at least 1 candidate from Transat.

Few more are close in the hiring process.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Few junior FOs left Transat for AC, some of them had less than a year in the company; some got a brand new PPC and left (nice!).
I would be surprised to see more senior FOs or Captains leaving for AC, I wouldn’t...I mean what is the point to go to AC for the salaries and conditions they offer at the moment? I have 2 close friends who recently resigned from AC, didn't even want to ask for LOA instead.
If I had to leave for greener pastures, I would certainly go overseas.

To answer the OP. Both Sunwing and Air Transat are great (I did both). The job on the narrow body during the winter is exactly the same. It's true that it will take longer to move to the left seat at Air Transat. To make you decision you should think about your preference: the widebody kind of flying (be away from home 4/5 days) or do 10 single days turns per month and be home almost every night. Airbus is A LOT more comfortable for the job than the B737NG.

Last edited by FL320 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Where did your friends that resigned from AC go?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Which one would have the better or easier commute to get to work if you lived out west ?

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Victory wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:20 am Where did your friends that resigned from AC go?
One to Air France (1st year FO scale 100 000 euros on the lowcost division B737)...no brainer compared to AC I suppose, and the other went DEC at Easyjet.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

dhc# wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:41 am Which one would have the better or easier commute to get to work if you lived out west ?
Sunwing has seasonal bases in the winter months out west. They vary year to year but last winter there was YVR, YYC and YWG. As far as the schedule for commuting, I'm not sure how Transat schedules look so I can't comment on which would be better. I personally think long term commuting at any airline isn't a very viable option. I've been doing probably the easiest commute in Canada, YYZ-YUL with flights every hour and the option of a 5 hour drive if things get dicey, for about 3 months and the amount of stress it puts on your life is more than I could have imagined. I have to start planning my commute back a couple days before, looking at flight loads and wx to see when I have to leave, add that to all the extra airport appreciation time and crash pad life and I'm not sure if I respect the people who commute for years on end or think they are foolish. Probably booth. I am very happy that my commuting life will be short lived, ill be back in YYZ in November. My advice as someone who packed up and moved when I really didnt want to is, do it. Either that or stay at a job that keeps you where you are living now.

Return to “Employment Forum”