Instructor Pay

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Instructor Pay

Post by photofly »

Hours regulations are to protect the public, and protecting one student at a time isn’t anyone’s priority.

The same cannot be said for maintenance requirements though...
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

lownslow wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm
FL007 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:15 pm True. I didn't realize part 400 didn't have any duty or max time.
Pretty nutty, isn't it? I worked some looooooong days when I was instructing.
I hear ya. One summer I trained Air cadets from sun up to sun down and did night ratings when the cadets left. Averaged 18 hrs a day at work at least 6 days a week. Sometimes 7. I was 19 so I was too stupid to know how stupid I was being. The only concern I had was how it cut down my beer drinking time to 2 nights a week.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

ant_321 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:11 pm I hear ya. One summer I trained Air cadets from sun up to sun down and did night ratings when the cadets left. Averaged 18 hrs a day at work at least 6 days a week. Sometimes 7. I was 19 so I was too stupid to know how stupid I was being. The only concern I had was how it cut down my beer drinking time to 2 nights a week.
The most illegal thing of them all

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 pm
ant_321 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:11 pm I hear ya. One summer I trained Air cadets from sun up to sun down and did night ratings when the cadets left. Averaged 18 hrs a day at work at least 6 days a week. Sometimes 7. I was 19 so I was too stupid to know how stupid I was being. The only concern I had was how it cut down my beer drinking time to 2 nights a week.
The most illegal thing of them all
How so? Beers on Saturday night after work (Sunday being the day off) and Sunday evening then back to work Monday morning.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

I meant they were cutting in to your beer time, should be illegal to do that.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 pm I meant they were cutting in to your beer time, should be illegal to do that.
Ah. I couldn't agree more.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I see the same company is advertising again, this time in BC and Alberta - same pay. But, now two provinces with below minimum wage salaries! :smt014

Look at that, you can get an extra little boost of $23/hour for instructional time if you exceed 50 hours a month of flight or sim time...

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The issue that is being perpetuated , as has been mentioned, is that FTUs only consider an instructor to be working when they are billing out.
There is zero consideration for the instructors time.
It is not how other industries pay their people.

And yes, it is all about pilots who have been brainwashed to consider subsidizing an FTUs poor management and philosophy . To the pilots it is the price they are willing to pay for log book enteries. They are their own worst enemies, but I can not see them changing their mindset or stopping being stupid.

The only real hope is that TC will step in and define a duty day for flight instructors, and thus require employers to pay for duty hours. And like in so many other jurisdictions, 12 hour advance notice for cancellations to the schedule and a 3 hour minimum duty time. Put some onus on the operator to fill the flight slots.
The other option is to get this under provincial labour laws..and that might prove to be an avenue to explore..

Will that happen...Not a chance in hell. While TC tells us they are all about safety, fatigue management, and pdm, they have no issue with instructors working 14 hour days, 6 days a week.

Many posts here from instructors bragging how they had a little nap when they were flying with a student....which come to think of it....may actually mean they are getting overpaid, as I have never seen a syllabus where demonstrating sleeping while flying is included.

Add a $1000 to the price of a PPL, and another $1500 to the cost of a CPL, and it would be possible to attract and retain quality instructors, rather than 20 something time builders.

Btw...note how many ads for instructors mention discounts on training, rentals etc...reveals what kind of experience they are looking for.

More than a few of us old retired types would like to instruct, but are simply not willing to work 70 hour weeks for less than minimum wages...now if we could only convinve the youngins to follow suit.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “Employment Forum”