Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Whatever's on the GPS

Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#1 Post by DHC7DVR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Hey Guys,

I did the interview process back in April, and got an email back a few weeks ago that has had me scratching my head to be honest. Not sure of the exact wording, but it goes something like...

“Dear Awesome Dude, thankyou for interviewing with us...blah blah blah.....we are not hiring at the moment, but will be again in the fall of this year, and throughout 2019. However, if you haven’t heard back from us within 12 months, then please assume your application was unsuccessful....blah blah blah...etc..”

My question is.....while that certainly is no offer of employment in any way, is it actually a PFO??? I fully understand that there maybe perfectly good legal reasons as to the ‘flowery language’, and I’m certainly under no illusion that I’m off to ground school at anytime in the foreseeable future, but should I just put AC to one side and get on with enjoying my life as it is now?

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------
  

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#2 Post by altiplano » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 pm

I think it's a noncommittal reply... They don't want to leave guys hanging in a pool again... but they wanted to get back to you in the time frame they saif they would when you interviewed...

Take it for what it is, you're in the mix of things... Hope for an offer when groundschools start up again, or reapply/move on with your life if you don't hear back.

But I wouldn't turn down any opportunities waiting on an unsure thing.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Victory
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 am

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#3 Post by Victory » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm

How can you be unsure of the exact wording? It's an email.
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#4 Post by MrTurbine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm

DHC7DVR wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm
Hey Guys,

I did the interview process back in April, and got an email back a few weeks ago that has had me scratching my head to be honest. Not sure of the exact wording, but it goes something like...

“Dear Awesome Dude, thankyou for interviewing with us...blah blah blah.....we are not hiring at the moment, but will be again in the fall of this year, and throughout 2019. However, if you haven’t heard back from us within 12 months, then please assume your application was unsuccessful....blah blah blah...etc..”

My question is.....while that certainly is no offer of employment in any way, is it actually a PFO??? I fully understand that there maybe perfectly good legal reasons as to the ‘flowery language’, and I’m certainly under no illusion that I’m off to ground school at anytime in the foreseeable future, but should I just put AC to one side and get on with enjoying my life as it is now?

Cheers!
Not a PFO, yet. It’s like they have your application status inactive, but it’s not successful \ unsuccessful yet. They just stopped doing GSs for a few months. It’ll start up again. Just hang tight, but don’t quit your day job. If you are lucky (like a bunch of others I know that are waiting as well), they will pick it back up where you left off in the fall. If they take too long, after 12 months, just reapply and try again, no biggie.

Good luck.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Inverted2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1983
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#5 Post by Inverted2 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:59 pm

My PFO ended with something like “we wish you the best of luck with your aviation career” :mrgreen: so I would say they’re just leaving you to guess for now and you can probably reapply.
---------- ADS -----------
  

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#6 Post by paddy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm

If your resume reads like you subject line then likely yes.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#7 Post by Alcoholism » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:35 pm

paddy wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm
If your resume reads like you subject line then likely yes.
From "you" reply, looks like you got one/should've.
---------- ADS -----------
  

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#8 Post by paddy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Your write
---------- ADS -----------
  

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#9 Post by Alcoholism » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:13 am

:drink:
---------- ADS -----------
  

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Whatever's on the GPS

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#10 Post by DHC7DVR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks guys,

Just out of curiosity, how long was the wait between interview..(and the subsequent email)...and a call for a start date and ground school?
---------- ADS -----------
  

iflyroads
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 am

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#11 Post by iflyroads » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Depending on where you're coming from (express or OTS) and experience, anywhere from 5 to 8 months.
---------- ADS -----------
  

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Whatever's on the GPS

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#12 Post by DHC7DVR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Just got a nod from one of my references, that they just got a call from AC yesterday; which I'm going to take as a positive sighn. I was interviewed back in April, and buddies at AC have both said that they understand that ground schools are going to start again in September.

I guess we shall see.....
---------- ADS -----------
  

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#13 Post by JLA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:18 pm

DHC7DVR wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:35 pm
Just got a nod from one of my references, that they just got a call from AC yesterday; which I'm going to take as a positive sighn. I was interviewed back in April, and buddies at AC have both said that they understand that ground schools are going to start again in September.

I guess we shall see.....
Have you heard from Air Canada for a GS offer?
---------- ADS -----------
  

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Whatever's on the GPS

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#14 Post by DHC7DVR » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 am

Got the call!!

GS on the 1st Oct. (I've got to say that the formula pay is going to be a SERIOUS hit though...still agonizing over that)...

Anyone in the know have any idea what types will be on offer on the October GS???
---------- ADS -----------
  

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#15 Post by altiplano » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 am

DHC7DVR wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 am
Got the call!!

GS on the 1st Oct. (I've got to say that the formula pay is going to be a SERIOUS hit though...still agonizing over that)...

Anyone in the know have any idea what types will be on offer on the October GS???
The "Formula pay" is not the main problem... it's the 4 year "Flat pay" that's excessively poor. We seriously need to address it... practically new hires are going into the right seat of the 777 & 330 now for $60 or $80 an hour while our colleagues to the South pay double that rate by year 2 in a narrowbody... one of many things...

anyway...Congrats! Despite that initial pay problem you'll have a great career here.

I'd expect mostly YYZ, mostly mainline, 320 FO, 737 FO, 767 FO, maybe 777 RP on offer... you might see a few LCC 320 FO spots too.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
schnitzel2k3
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: Have I just got an Air Canada PFO???

#16 Post by schnitzel2k3 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:13 am

altiplano wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 am
DHC7DVR wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:11 am
Got the call!!

GS on the 1st Oct. (I've got to say that the formula pay is going to be a SERIOUS hit though...still agonizing over that)...

Anyone in the know have any idea what types will be on offer on the October GS???
The "Formula pay" is not the main problem... it's the 4 year "Flat pay" that's excessively poor. We seriously need to address it... practically new hires are going into the right seat of the 777 & 330 now for $60 or $80 an hour while our colleagues to the South pay double that rate by year 2 in a narrowbody... one of many things...

anyway...Congrats! Despite that initial pay problem you'll have a great career here.

I'd expect mostly YYZ, mostly mainline, 320 FO, 737 FO, 767 FO, maybe 777 RP on offer... you might see a few LCC 320 FO spots too.
It'll be quite interesting to see what they actually raise the wages to, should they in fact depart from the 4-year flat pay.

While not having any direct evidence to support my bold statement, I believe it is one of the driving factors in smaller part to the wage stagnation and suppression in the industry.

How can companies like Westjet, Morningstar, Cargojet, Sunwing and Transat justify paying North American market wages for flight crew, when the ONLY legacy carrier in Canada won't?

And justifying - not that you did altiplano, but I feel others will - through the short roll of the dice to captaincy on a reserve schedule for the next 2-5 years on the burrito or bus, doesn't equate to nulling out the many that have to endure the 4 year flat pay.

Interesting times to come.

S.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”