Iskwew Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Iskwew Air

Post by trey kule »

KD down from 13 pilots in april to one 500hr captain a couple 250hr wonder copilots with fresh PCCs and has no CP. All flights cancelled today...

Hmmmmm. Maybe there is an opportunity presenting itself.

And if awesomeness trumps flight experience, maybe companies can find Cpts for 30k a year, and FOs for bus fare and commissary.

On the other hand, expanding in this market where the majors are taking the cream of the crop right out of flight school, crewing might be a challange. Though west coast flying with its 10k foot runways, 365 day a year clear skies , and table top flat geography should make for easy flying
---------- ADS -----------

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
jonnytwoshoes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jonnytwoshoes »

Although I have never heard of a part time Chief Pilot, I suppose it is possible. Transport Canada does make exceptions/exemptions sometimes based on the scope and size of an operation. For example, the management positions of Operations Manager and Chief Pilot being held by one person is not unusual for small operators.

I wish Iskwewair all the best with their startup.
As we all know, right now, the aviation industry is not geared toward the small operator being successful but there is still a place for them. Not everyone wants to work for the Airlines. Getting and retaining the right people makes all the difference...... finding these 'right' people takes creativity and out of the box thinking.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

lownslow wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:51 pm
Lightchop wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:22 am
trey kule wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:26 am Does anyone know the answer...Does TC allow part time CPs in 703 ops?
Yes they do.
No they do not, at least according to the CARS.
They might be listed as a "full time" employee, but I've worked at companies where the CP was on call and worked at another airline.

eyes_to_the_skies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eyes_to_the_skies »

A bunch of bitter dream crushers on here. This sounds like a really cool outfit. Something you negitive Nancy’s can talk about at FL300. Exactly where you belong while your FMS blows smoke up your ass, telling you how cool you are.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Having looked at the info about you on the internet I like your enthusiasm and your energy to get things done.

I have been around aviation for a very long time and it is nice to see someone working toward something they want.

I copied this because it will be your biggest headache as Canada is so over regulated it is criminal, my advice is keep the paper work moving and it will keep them happy.
♥ Ability to meet the CAR’s requirements and responsibilities for 703 Chief Pilot and have demonstrated knowledge/ability to navigate the Transport Canada regulatory landscape
It is impossible for anyone to understand their regulatory landscape because it is so blurred you can't really see or understand it.

:mrgreen:

. ..

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Gosh... I didn’t realize KD was in such dire straits. Sure I saw one flying yesterday.

They seemed to be like the cockroach of the south side sh*t show. Been around forever and about 1000 years old in BC Navajo operator years.

I guess you could take it as good or bad.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I have to wonder....

Who would choose a company name that they have to explain to their clients how to pronounce....and make it difficult enough to spell to frustrate googling it..?

I think this start up needs more than an awsome CP.

But maybe, as someone posted there is government (taxpayer) money behind it so the founders can focus on their personal philosophy and ignore smart marketing.

Accident speculation:
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

bright wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:44 pm It is indeed humbling to put oneself out here on Avcanada.
It is, and we mostly come off as keyboard commandos and jerks. That being said, it's not like we're a group who don't care, we just don't want to see any situations where people are getting set up to be hurt or screwed. My initial rough estimate is that organizationally you appear way top heavy and unless you're subsidized beyond what you'd make moving passengers and (legal) freight, a single airplane will struggle at best to support it. Maybe you know that and that's why the payscale is probably 65% of what it should be but I'd hope the other managers are remunerated similarly. Don't forget that an applicant to any startup is assuming a risk to their own livelihood as well. To me that risk would be cut down by running awfully lean early on. Just guessing here but if you run the plane two crew you'd get best booking availability having two captains and one first officer, rotating something like 10 on/5 off or similarly proportioned. One of those captains would be your CP and in the quiet, early days of the company they could be your trainer and operations manager too (they'll cost more than one person but less than three), the trick is to map out how you will replace them on the flight line as the operation grows. I'm not a business guy so someone feel free to correct me.

Or run questionable cargo for cash only and pick up licensing fees when someone makes a movie about it in thirty years. Whichever.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

They seemed to be like the cockroach of the south side sh*t show. Been around forever and about 1000 years old in BC Navajo operator years.
Have you worked for them?

I am impressed with their safety record.
Sep 1, 2017 - KD Air is located in the South Terminal at Vancouver International Airport ... We have an impeccable safety record with over 64,000 flights ...

Last edited by C.W.E. on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

lownslow wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:32 am It is, and we mostly come off as keyboard commandos and jerks. That being said, it's not like we're a group who don't care, we just don't want to see any situations where people are getting set up to be hurt or screwed. My initial rough estimate is that organizationally you appear way top heavy and unless you're subsidized beyond what you'd make moving passengers and (legal) freight, a single airplane will struggle at best to support it. Maybe you know that and that's why the payscale is probably 65% of what it should be but I'd hope the other managers are remunerated similarly. Don't forget that an applicant to any startup is assuming a risk to their own livelihood as well. To me that risk would be cut down by running awfully lean early on. Just guessing here but if you run the plane two crew you'd get best booking availability having two captains and one first officer, rotating something like 10 on/5 off or similarly proportioned. One of those captains would be your CP and in the quiet, early days of the company they could be your trainer and operations manager too (they'll cost more than one person but less than three), the trick is to map out how you will replace them on the flight line as the operation grows. I'm not a business guy so someone feel free to correct me.

Or run questionable cargo for cash only and pick up licensing fees when someone makes a movie about it in thirty years. Whichever.
I have a feeling they have heavy subsidizing.

Of the options listed above, one makes you no money and causes extreme stress, the other makes you boat loads of money and causes extreme stress. Met a guy the other day who did the latter for a while... He did pretty ok.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

C.W.E. wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:47 pm
Have you worked for them?

I am impressed with their safety record.
Sep 1, 2017 - KD Air is located in the South Terminal at Vancouver International Airport ... We have an impeccable safety record with over 64,000 flights ...
No.

They are a rarity for having no accidents and being around for a long time.

But it just goes to show that even the very best run operation cannot overcome economic realities.

bright
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bright »

Lots of curiosity, care and concern! Although surprised that people have so much to say about my little project, I am honoured that folks would take the time to contribute with such thoughtful consideration and detail. Honestly, I am grateful.

Thank you Cat Driver / . . for the kind remarks. You can imagine how appreciated it was! Thank you. Although I haven't spent much time on this forum in the last several years I recall your strong voice and valued contribution at the height of my aviation safety advocacy days a decade ago. Thank you jonnytwoshoes for your encouragement and for noting the important role the small operator plays in the system. Thank you to all those that sent PM's of kindness, congratulations, and support. Thank you. I believe that a community can only truly thrive when its members LIFT each other up, always.

Marketing IS important! Although aware of some of the challenges noted here, the name Iskwew (ISS-KWAY-YO) Air was mindfully chosen as an act of language reclamation in the spirit of reconciliation. There are corporate and government clients that embrace these values. Also, Iskwew is well positioned to create a niche in the Indigenous tourism market - connecting international travelers to experiences and activities. These clients, Iskwew's clients - are curious, excited, and keen to learn about the language and culture of the First Peoples.

Wise, yet adequate, allocation of resources is indeed critical to success in a start-up - and in any operation, at any stage. In is not uncommon for a small operator to have an individual hold more than one, several, or all of the TC regulated roles. It is the responsibility of the Accountable Executive to ensure that for the size and scope of the operation there are adequate human resources to fulfill all of the regulated roles and responsibilities and operate within compliance and above all - safely. The Accountable Executive must be able to demonstrate this effectively to Transport Canada at all times. This will be the 4th time in my career that I have held multiple TC regulated roles at one time within an air operation (air operations of various sizes).

As illustrated in this thread, the pilot shortage is real and concerning. When I entered this industry 17 years ago I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams this current reality. I volunteer my time on the Transport Canada Pilot Labour Shortage Steering Committee and 2 other initiatives looking at addressing the shortage. I would love to hear more about your experiences, ideas, and solutions to the challenges faced by an industry we all care so much about. It will take all parts of the system working together to see the shift that is needed.

For those of you that have expertise and knowledge in subsidizing, please send me some information so that I can check it out. That would be AMAZING!

As many of you have wisely articulated, I've got lots of hard work ahead of me so I may be checking in here a little less often. If you are in Vancouver and want to have a cup of tea, want to talk more, or if there is anything I can do to LIFT those of you in this community - email me: teara.fraser@iskwew.ca

With respect and gratitude,
Teara Fraser

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

I think operating a single plane will be tough. What happens when you have a 6am charter and aircraft is grounded for mechanical reason? Or you have a sched inspection that will take 3-4 days to complete? I can tell you having worked for a medical transfer company out of YWG that neither our customer (First Nation and Inuit Health Branch) nor our passengers were to happy when they expected to fly on our aircraft and were instead greeted with a Keystone Air aircraft and crew.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

bright wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:54 am
As illustrated in this thread, the pilot shortage is real and concerning. When I entered this industry 17 years ago I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams this current reality. I volunteer my time on the Transport Canada Pilot Labour Shortage Steering Committee and 2 other initiatives looking at addressing the shortage. I would love to hear more about your experiences, ideas, and solutions to the challenges faced by an industry we all care so much about. It will take all parts of the system working together to see the shift that is needed.

For those of you that have expertise and knowledge in subsidizing, please send me some information so that I can check it out. That would be AMAZING!

As many of you have wisely articulated, I've got lots of hard work ahead of me so I may be checking in here a little less often. If you are in Vancouver and want to have a cup of tea, want to talk more, or if there is anything I can do to LIFT those of you in this community - email me: teara.fraser@iskwew.ca

Teara Fraser
The pilot shortage isn't as dire as operators make it out to be, lots of us stay at regionals that treat us half decent and pay well.

You'd have a highly experienced person on your team if you paid enough and enticed them with a great schedule, as I'm sure your office workers holding managing positions will have.

No offence but for that pay you won't exactly get cream of the crop, lots of fos at regionals with enough experience to fill the position are already making close to that without the northern troubles that come along with it. Best you'll find is a low time 703/4 captain looking to pad their resume before they jump ship.

Also most experienced people have golden handcuffs, and the only way most will leave is for better income or the without a shadow of a doubt potential for future earnings to make the short term paycut worth it.

I understand the operation requires a lot of work and resources need to be allocated appropriately, but you paid for a plane and need to pay for drivers.

I'd seriously apply right now if it was a 90k a year Monday to Friday job, and would have a lot of competition for it. There's your pilot shortage.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4835050

Way to go!!! Teara I wish you nothing but success!
(Didn’t know you were a former Hawkair driver either!!!)

All the best,
TPC

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

As a pilot, this quote stood out to me:
"We are facing a global, national and local pilot shortage that is worsening and I am worried about those fly-in communities," she said. "I worry that those services won't be available to remote communities that depend on services for basic needs," she added.
What is Iskwew planning on doing differently to attract and retain pilots? If companies that already fly to First Nations communities like Pacific Coastal are having difficulty keeping their staff, what does Iskwew intend to do to prevent falling victim to a similar shortage? Having an air operator that specifically serves those communities is a start in ensuring transportation isn't disrupted, but if that operator lacks staff I don't see how the problem will be ameliorated at all.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The rather simple fact is that you either have to make a profit as a company,or you won’t be in business. (OR, in some cases, be subsidized.)

While I wish them the best, all the hype seems to be on this being an historical achievement, rather than looking at the hard cold business numbers. Maybe that part is just not newsworthy and beneath all the hype there is a sound business plan.

Accident speculation:
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

bright wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:54 am Lots of curiosity, care and concern! Although surprised that people have so much to say about my little project, I am honoured that folks would take the time to contribute with such thoughtful consideration and detail. Honestly, I am grateful.

Thank you Cat Driver / . . for the kind remarks. You can imagine how appreciated it was! Thank you. Although I haven't spent much time on this forum in the last several years I recall your strong voice and valued contribution at the height of my aviation safety advocacy days a decade ago. Thank you jonnytwoshoes for your encouragement and for noting the important role the small operator plays in the system. Thank you to all those that sent PM's of kindness, congratulations, and support. Thank you. I believe that a community can only truly thrive when its members LIFT each other up, always.

Marketing IS important! Although aware of some of the challenges noted here, the name Iskwew (ISS-KWAY-YO) Air was mindfully chosen as an act of language reclamation in the spirit of reconciliation. There are corporate and government clients that embrace these values. Also, Iskwew is well positioned to create a niche in the Indigenous tourism market - connecting international travelers to experiences and activities. These clients, Iskwew's clients - are curious, excited, and keen to learn about the language and culture of the First Peoples.

Wise, yet adequate, allocation of resources is indeed critical to success in a start-up - and in any operation, at any stage. In is not uncommon for a small operator to have an individual hold more than one, several, or all of the TC regulated roles. It is the responsibility of the Accountable Executive to ensure that for the size and scope of the operation there are adequate human resources to fulfill all of the regulated roles and responsibilities and operate within compliance and above all - safely. The Accountable Executive must be able to demonstrate this effectively to Transport Canada at all times. This will be the 4th time in my career that I have held multiple TC regulated roles at one time within an air operation (air operations of various sizes).

Teara Fraser
Teara -

From another chick that has been in the industry for 20+ years, I certainly wish you the best with Iskwew. I'm sure there will be many, many challenges but they'll be overcome :)

Best wishes to you and good luck!

FB

Last edited by Flybabe on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

How are things going flybabe, you still flying for a living?

I am happy as a clam in my retirement. :mrgreen:

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:40 pm How are things going flybabe, you still flying for a living?

I am happy as a clam in my retirement. :mrgreen:
LOL...

Yep, retirement is quite a ways away for me yet ;)

Still, ahem... "livin' the dream" 8)

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart

Return to “Employment Forum”