"VALID" Group 1 IFR rating ( inlusive of the IPC - instrument proficiency check)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 3
Rank 3

"VALID" Group 1 IFR rating ( inlusive of the IPC - instrument proficiency check)

Post by 7507 »

I see and read some of these companies that operate the likes of the B1900 that ask for a Valid group 1 IFR rating, and I know there are rules of keeping the ifr valid through the IPC (instrument proficiency check) applies.

My question is , what if you get a job offer but haven't completed the IPC proficency check does it matter?

When the company hires you and send you for the PPC training that will validate the IPC ( instrument proficiency check) or do you need to do the IPC before getting hired?

Appreciate some comments and feedback.
---------- ADS -----------

a313
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: "VALID" Group 1 IFR rating ( inlusive of the IPC - instrument proficiency check)

Post by a313 »

Last edited by a313 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: "VALID" Group 1 IFR rating ( inlusive of the IPC - instrument proficiency check)

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

A PPC does reset your clock, which is why you don’t see airline pilots kicking around in the redbird at your local flying school every few years doing an IPC.

The biggest reason why an employer wants you to have a valid and current IFR rating prior to employing you is pretty simple. They want to spend money on training a proficient IFR pilot how to fly their aircraft. They don’t want to spend extra on knocking the rust off of your IFR knowledge and approach flying abilities.

An IPC is for all intents and purposes a flight test. If an employer hires someone with a fresh IPC, it tells them that at the very least you should be somewhat close to TC standard, and therefore won’t take as much money and time to get to PPC standard on their aircraft.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:42 pm A PPC does reset your clock, which is why you don’t see airline pilots kicking around in the redbird at your local flying school every few years doing an IPC.

The biggest reason why an employer wants you to have a valid and current IFR rating prior to employing you is pretty simple. They want to spend money on training a proficient IFR pilot how to fly their aircraft. They don’t want to spend extra on knocking the rust off of your IFR knowledge and approach flying abilities.

An IPC is for all intents and purposes a flight test. If an employer hires someone with a fresh IPC, it tells them that at the very least you should be somewhat close to TC standard, and therefore won’t take as much money and time to get to PPC standard on their aircraft.

So I will have a greater chance on landing the job with a fresh IPC.
Olay, thanks.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

How far out of date are you? As in when was the last time you flew IFR?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

If you will be doing a pcc ride instead of a ppc, as would be the case on a banana like Navajo and possibly a b1900 or king air, you would need a current IFR.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

1900 is over 12500, pcc need not apply. dont know of any operators that run their K/A FO's with pcc's instead of ppc's. Employers look for someone smart rather then checking all the boxes, not waisting your money needlessly is smart. if you cant get a job in this industry now, its time to quit.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

leftoftrack wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:05 pm 1900 is over 12500, pcc need not apply. dont know of any operators that run their K/A FO's with pcc's instead of ppc's. Employers look for someone smart rather then checking all the boxes, not waisting your money needlessly is smart. if you cant get a job in this industry now, its time to quit.

So money wise, save it on the IPC as when they train you for the PPC on the 1900 the PPC will activate the IPC.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

What approaches are needed now on the IPC?

ILS and GNSS approaches?

Thanks and what does the ride in the simulator look like these days?

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
bueno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bueno »

ellinas wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:45 pm What approaches are needed now on the IPC?

ILS and GNSS approaches?

Thanks and what does the ride in the simulator look like these days?
You need one traditional navaid approach and one GNSS. One of them has to be done without vertical guidance.

I did one an IPC a week ago, did a SID, then unusual attitudes, then an approach to a missed, hold for a bit, then one single engine approach to a full stop

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:42 pm A PPC does reset your clock, which is why you don’t see airline pilots kicking around in the redbird at your local flying school every few years doing an IPC.

I’m rusty I admit and presently doing the IPC training. I’m at 5 training sessions and my instructor ( excellent) told me at least one more to put it together.
I’m trying to get a feel what the average time it takes to get to flight test ready , I could use a bit more as the last thing I need is a job interview in a sim and look like a deer in headlights !
Fly safe

Stable_Approach
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stable_Approach »

ellinas wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:22 pm

I’m rusty I admit and presently doing the IPC training. I’m at 5 training sessions and my instructor ( excellent) told me at least one more to put it together.
I’m trying to get a feel what the average time it takes to get to flight test ready , I could use a bit more as the last thing I need is a job interview in a sim and look like a deer in headlights !
Fly safe
Don't focus on the average time. Focus on being prepared and confident for your ride and interview/sim. Right now, treat this as an investment you are getting your skills polished and to standards. I redid my IPC after not flying IFR for 16 years and I can tell you right now that I learned more during the IPC training and assessment than I did on my initial MIFR. It helped tremendously both for my job interview a month later and PPC that followed.

As LifeAt90kts stated, employers will be teaching you to fly the aircraft they don't have time to polish up your IFR knowledge/skills. Take as much time you need.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

Quick question and direction, finished all my IPC training and next is the “flight test”. Just got hired by an operator flying twins and they’re going to be training me for the PPC on their aircraft (12.500 and under).
Should I spend the hundreds on getting the IPC at the school where I finished the IPC training?

Thoughts

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

ellinas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:21 pm Quick question and direction, finished all my IPC training and next is the “flight test”. Just got hired by an operator flying twins and they’re going to be training me for the PPC on their aircraft (12.500 and under).
Should I spend the hundreds on getting the IPC at the school where I finished the IPC training?

Thoughts
Was having a valid IR a requirement in order to obtain the position?

TPC

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:19 am
ellinas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:21 pm Quick question and direction, finished all my IPC training and next is the “flight test”. Just got hired by an operator flying twins and they’re going to be training me for the PPC on their aircraft (12.500 and under).

Thoughts
Was having a valid IR a requirement in order to obtain the position?

TPC
It didn’t say valid as long as you have one as they will train you. I guess I should ask, again I’ve completed the IPC training except the examiners stamp.

nine sixteenths
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nine sixteenths »

Thoughts
Why wouldn’t you ask your new employer that directly instead of asking random people on the internet that don’t have enough actual specific information on the requirements of your new job to answer?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

'valid' is pretty much meaningless these days since instrument ratings don't expire.

If they require you to be recent/current, they should specify those requirements.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Employment Forum”