Picture in Resume

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

skyundertow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Picture in Resume

Post by skyundertow »

Do you think it is okay to include a decent picture on your resume?

Just Curious and Birddog, I'm not talking about one in a speedo! Seriously, if you are not scary to look at (not that this should matter), is a picture a good move or a bad move? Does it help to put a face to a name?

Ya never get a second chance to make a first impression, so I'd like to do it right!

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Unless you have heyooj teeots I'd say it looks unprofessional.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

First off let me say that there is nothing wrong with putting your picture on your resume.

Although ... I have seen many resumes with pictures and without exception they made a bad resume even worse. In most cases there was nothing flattering about their appearance and the picture was poor quality even before it was faxed. I mean, if you are 21 and ugly with spiked hair and 250 hours, why sink yourself ahead of time by sending a picture of you in a pilot shirt and captain epaulettes?

If you are going to put a picture, only use it on mailed or hand delivered resumes. Use a high quality colour picture and keep it as small as possible while still making you recognizable. Smile, but not too much.

Honestly, if your resume is like the bulk of what is out there, your time would be better spent making your resume look organized and clear.

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

only put it on if you are a small person, then the operator will see that he can put on more of a load, and make more money

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I'd avoid putting a pic on a resume. I have seen a pile of 'em too, and they all kinda screamed desperation or something.

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

I guess it all depends on what you look like. I think in Henri's case, he figured once the hiring girl at AC Jazz saw his flowing mullet, he'd be in the interview chair in no time. I mean, a mullet has to be seen to be appreciated. Right Henri?

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Unless it's for Emirates or Cathay and Eithad, and the others that ask for "attach a passport sized picture" don't do it.

How many 703 ops care what you look like??

Secondly, pictures take up more ink, so if you're faxing it, <HHAHAHA> they'll hate you even more...

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

No picture.

Sasquash
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sasquash »

Pictures? darn, I'd like to see the Haz's resume...

Juggs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Juggs »

I always include a picture. Who wouldn't hire some as stunningly good looking as me? I included it here so you could feel humbled my by stunning good looks. If there are any lady CP's out there, you know where to send the PM's to. :lol:

JUGGS-A waypoint in Idaho too!
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Because it is so "risky," I would say, "only if required." By that I mean, if the specific company asks for it, or, if searching overseas, if this is the norm in the country where the company is located.

It may also be worthwhile considering for the domestic market in you are targetting a particularly small company and have had personal contact with them. Judging by comments, even the small-fry companies receive a pletora of resumes-- the photo may remind the CP of who you were when he met you-- although this can be a double-edged sword.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Wiseone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wiseone »

In my experience, the people with 250 hours who put pictures on their resumes tend to be the same people that send their resume from an account such as "Stud_finder_pilot_dude776@hotmail.com" or "Pilot_penis_pusher@hotmail.com".

If you have 250 hours and are looking for a job, expand on your non-flying skill set. Have you done volunteer work? Have you done customer service work?

A picture on a resume makes me think "Chump" from the get-go.

skyundertow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skyundertow »

How did you know my email address?? Hahaha!! j/k. My email is just my first and last name, and I was thinking more for some kind of multi job for someone with about 1000hrs and little multi time.

I was considering putting a small pic on the corner of a well-written cover letter, but I might re-think that plan. I've decided to put more time into tidying up the old resume. Wiseone - you think I should include volunteer work, even if its a couple years old? Cause I'd just deleted that, along with some customer service work from a few years ago, as I thought the resume was getting too long, hmmm... Thought short and sweet, was the key...Oh well.

Thanks for all your input!

Wiseone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wiseone »

Skyundertow:

Don't put the picture in. It doesn't add to the resume, and it may take away from it.

Per the volunteer work, customer service, etc. Don't expand on it like you would your most recent experiences, but do include it. The reason is simple. If I have two candidates which are equal in most ways, I start asking myself "Who would best integrate with the community? Who would be with us the longest and has demonstrated stability? Who would be able to handle difficult customers (the folks paying our wages)?" That's where volunteer work etc. comes into play.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Sometimes...
CMA´s CP asked me to include a picture when I updated my resume...said he was better with faces than names. Mind you, that was after meeting him in person on a road trip.

Scuba_Steve
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Scuba_Steve »

a picture on a resume is a good way to land your face on a 'wall of shame' in a CP's office or on a dartboard in the pilots lounge.

Seriously it happens..

Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Picture in Resume

Post by ... »

skyundertow wrote:
Just Curious and Birddog, I'm not talking about one in a speedo!
When it comes to work, I take it seriously...Speedos as much fun as it is
to be wearing one during interviews, I like to show the potential
employer/company my versatility.

I find that using the following picture just after the job seeking 'objective'
in the resume works wonders...and before you ask...yes...it is me.
:wink:

Objective: To Grab Bull by the horns with any delegation of work...yet
remaining masculine at the same time while wearing a purple cat suit
high lighted by hot pink knee high socks.

jackrabbit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jackrabbit »

I wouldn't do it....especially if they asked for it (canadian company anyway) since it is illegal.

Return to “Employment Forum”