Porter Airlines at 55?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Porter Airlines at 55?

Post by marakii »

Just looking down the road and enquiring if anyone has heard if Porter Airlines has ever hired a pilot 55 or older for their fleet and if not, would they ?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Porter Airlines at 55?

Post by EPR »

I have no idea of your experience, but I can tell you, it's a great comfort to your passengers to have a little "grey hair" around the temples. So on that aspect alone...Porter should be pretty keen to hire you! :D

Keep the dirty side down.
wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

They will not care one bit about your age.

Your experience and how you will fit into their flight department will be the only factors to hire you.

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

This question is like someone asking do they care if I am Malaysian or do they care if I am a woman.

Age discrimination is protected against in the Charter of Rights
  • Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability (emphasis added).
Even that someone asks this question says that there is a problem in this industry.

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

A friend of mine interviewed at Porter and they actually did ask him what his age was. When a Chief Pilot asks to see your aviation medical, your age becomes known, so they do not need to ask, therefore there is no opportunity for one to say that they were discriminated against due to their age. Having said that, I have heard of individuals being hired at Air Canada who are in their mid-fifties. So it really is dependant on who you talk to.

dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

sicamore wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:09 am This question is like someone asking do they care if I am Malaysian or do they care if I am a woman.

• Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability (emphasis added).
Even that someone asks this question says that there is a problem in this industry.
No industry wants to hire someone 55 plus unless you have alot of experience and there is no training involved and try can't find anyone younger .

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

dstechnical wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:02 pm
sicamore wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:09 am This question is like someone asking do they care if I am Malaysian or do they care if I am a woman.

No industry wants to hire someone 55 plus unless you have alot of experience and there is no training involved and try can't find anyone younger .
So they'd be better off hiring a barely qualified 25 year old who'll leave for the first jet job that comes his way?

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

[/quote]
[/quote]

This is nonsense. A 55 year old easily has 10-15 years left and isn't building time. He has experience and is respected by the passengers. A younger hire is waiting to pay off his bond to quit.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

dialdriver wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm
[/quote]

This is nonsense. A 55 year old easily has 10-15 years left and isn't building time. He has experience and is respected by the passengers. A younger hire is waiting to pay off his bond to quit.
[/quote]

younger/lower time pilots are easier to intimidate and are more eager to work overtime. Don't try to use reason, when a lot of the decisions are made in the back office , by penny pinching Bean Counters.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

We've had several new hires who (to me) look like they're in their 50s or late 40s over the past 6-8 months. A couple of them weren't able to make it through training but then, a couple of younger pilots didn't either. There are usually one or two 40s+ pilots in each ground school which is nothing new, has been going on for years.

Porter is pretty darn diverse; doesn't depend on your age, colour, gender, etc - it's your attitude and how you'd fit into the company culture (and, if required due to a lower experience level, if you can pass a sim eval.)

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I think the question is; would you be happy in the right seat of the Q for the remaining 10 years of your aviation career?

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

co-joe wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 pm I think the question is; would you be happy in the right seat of the Q for the remaining 10 years of your aviation career?
Porter is hiring Direct Entry Captains.

Hayseed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayseed »

If you aren’t able to make it through the training then what happens to you?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

dialdriver wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 am
co-joe wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 pm I think the question is; would you be happy in the right seat of the Q for the remaining 10 years of your aviation career?
I was told it's a long upgrade there, if I'm off base, please disregard.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

From a friend currently there, if you have the time upgrades are currently 1 year from date of hire. Info roughly a month old

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

co-joe wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 pm
dialdriver wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 am
I was told it's a long upgrade there, if I'm off base, please disregard.
Porter and Encore both have active job postings for Direct Entry Captains.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Hayseed wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 pm If you aren’t able to make it through the training then what happens to you?
Your employment is terminated.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Upgrades are happening within the one year mark (as stated above, if you have the required experience.)

Interviews are ongoing for both FOs and DECs.

Pilots may operate as Captain until their 65th birthday, at which point they may retire or continue working as an FO.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

chipmunk wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am Upgrades are happening within the one year mark (as stated above, if you have the required experience.)

Interviews are ongoing for both FOs and DECs.

Pilots may operate as Captain until their 65th birthday, at which point they may retire or continue working as an FO.

Just curious regarding the lowest hired FO not coming from a school affiliated with the early program and what times they had if they even hired anyone less than 1000 hours , I don't know.

I'm trying to gain even more operational flying to get to the 1000 hours , but I've read on the Porter site that they would consider hiring someone with less than 1000 hours if they brought "other experience" to the table. I'm just trying to get a feel on what this other experience is to them?

Thanks

Return to “Employment Forum”