Employee scheduling in the aviation industry

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Twowheelcharlie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Employee scheduling in the aviation industry

Post by Twowheelcharlie »

By putting the employee first, the customer effectively comes first by default. Employees should always win first. | Richard Branson
As a business owner, I'm pretty impressed with how the scheduling (Punctuality) of most employees are in the aviation / helicopter industry. Especially if you compare it to retail or the food industry. Is it because most employees or a very high percentage of these employees understand how important their job (No matter how small) is?

I mean one small mistake (Bad maintenance of aircraft) can create some fatal scenarios.

People in this industry just seem to be more "on the ball" than others.

What are the possible reasons for that?
---------- ADS -----------

snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Employee scheduling in the aviation industry

Post by snowcone »

Lol, are you comparing a mechanic/pilot to a fast food worker?

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

A fast food worker didn’t spend 80k to work there and getting a new job in fast food elsewhere is light years easier than getting a job in aviation if you were fired for being late.

We value our career, especially after we put so much money into our training. Just like a car enthusiast that puts thousands of dollars into a project car and takes care of it like it where his baby. The aviation industry is very small. One @#$! up or being known to be late often puts a serious dent into your reputation. Any pilot should know this. I certainly have my own personal pride when I roll in to work a little early and complete a flight on time-when I fly, I expect to be on time and so I try reciprocate that as much as possible when I am the captain.

One piece of advise for your schedulers: if you start to schedule with min rest and tight turns, over time you will get some grumpy pilots. Reason being is because tight turns and min rest means more possibility for errors. We already have enough responsibility, so being tired and rushed does not add well to the mix.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I think the focus on the importance of on time performance would be a big part of that. OPT is really pushed at most places. If an airplane is late off the gate there has to be a reason given. Most people don’t want that reason to be them. If someone shows up late for work, you will be that reason. If you show up 5 min late for your shift at walmart and someone has to stand in line for a couple minutes nobody really notices.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

ant_321 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 pm I think the focus on the importance of on time performance would be a big part of that. OPT is really pushed at most places. If an airplane is late off the gate there has to be a reason given. Most people don’t want that reason to be them. If someone shows up late for work, you will be that reason. If you show up 5 min late for your shift at walmart and someone has to stand in line for a couple minutes nobody really notices.
Exactly, when OTP is almost top of the list of importance to your company and each individual (ramp, counter, pilot) is fighting to make sure they're not the reason for the delay, pilots who have the most to lose (spending almost 100k on schooling) will most definitely not risk being late.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm I certainly have my own personal pride when I roll in to work a little early and complete a flight on time
Do you start your duty day early as well then?
If you can't have an on time departure with your scheduled reporting time, that reporting time should change.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

I come in maybe 5-10 mins before my report time to settle in, get coffee, talk to crew and dispatch to see how their day is going so I can get the social interactions out of my system before I have to work.

If you plan on being at work for exactly the time that you need to be for checkin, a can guarantee you that 1 out of 10 times, you will be late. So to avoid that, always plan on being a little bit early. I vouch to what FL007 said.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:30 pm
FOD_Vacuum wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm I certainly have my own personal pride when I roll in to work a little early and complete a flight on time
Do you start your duty day early as well then?
If you can't have an on time departure with your scheduled reporting time, that reporting time should change.
While it's completely possible to check in, and push a flight in an hour... I personally like to come in a bit early, say 15 minutes that way I am not rushed and can have a chill morning. Grab a cup of coffee, catch up with a few people in the crew room, get to the AC early and have some wiggle room if there's an MEL I need to get familiar with or something.

Return to “Employment Forum”