Email vs in person

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Moesif
Rank 1
Rank 1

Email vs in person

Post by Moesif »

So i'm looking for my first flying job and have been trying my best to spread my seed far and wide but focusing on operators close to home. Today I find an add for a charter at pearson (just a 20 minute drive) with no hours requirement so it's a no brainer. I thought it would be best to head over there in person to apply but I couldn't be more wrong. They told me they only accept email and when I did email, I almost immediately got a resoponse that they were not happy about me showing up and its pretty much guaranteed that I won't be considered for the job. Their add says to email but never mentioned a restriction of being there physically

Anywho. I just want to know so I don't shoot myself in the foot again; is this something that's expected by most operators where they prefer an email or was this an anomoly? If true, that would save me the effort of going on a planned roadtrip. Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Email vs in person

Post by FL007 »

Good luck first off.

It depends, really. When I did a road trip for my first job I did a little bit of email when I had to but preferred to walk in.

That being said those places weren't in yyz, and you probably won't find many excited employers In yyz, they probably have a constant flow of low hour pilots who don't want to move out of the GTA coming in with resumes.

In places like Thunder Bay you'll find going into a potential employer a little bit of a better experience, try to make it clear to the receptionist you're there to apply with low time, where they'll inform the CP of that and he/she will come out if they're not dealing with something more important.

Try emailing looking for opportunities and mentioning at the end that you'd like to drop your resume off in person. That way at least the ones looking for new hires should reply and at least accept the offer for the in person resume.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

Unless it explicitly says “email only” or “no walk ins” I would think it would be better to go and put a face to your credentials. I did a road trip in northwestern Ontario 2 years ago, before this shortage, and I had a pretty warm welcome at 90% of the places I went to. The other 10% were not so friendly, but rejection is part of life, so don’t take it personally.

Check out the operators pilot career centre profiles, and do a forum search here. If it doesn’t say no walk ins, then there’s no harm in trying!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Moesif wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:35 pm So i'm looking for my first flying job and have been trying my best to spread my seed far and wide but focusing on operators close to home. Today I find an add for a charter at pearson (just a 20 minute drive) with no hours requirement so it's a no brainer. I thought it would be best to head over there in person to apply but I couldn't be more wrong. They told me they only accept email and when I did email, I almost immediately got a resoponse that they were not happy about me showing up and its pretty much guaranteed that I won't be considered for the job. Their add says to email but never mentioned a restriction of being there physically

Anywho. I just want to know so I don't shoot myself in the foot again; is this something that's expected by most operators where they prefer an email or was this an anomoly? If true, that would save me the effort of going on a planned roadtrip. Thanks in advance
I would have done the same as you did. If they don't specify they don't want walk-ins, or applying via email only, you didn't do anything wrong. It's usually beneficial to visit operators with low hours.

Good luck!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

Moesif wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:35 pmThey told me they only accept email and when I did email, I almost immediately got a resoponse that they were not happy about me showing up and its pretty much guaranteed that I won't be considered for the job.
That sounds like a dick move on their part but I wasn't there to see. Call it a learning experience.

I always try to talk to most pilots who drop in but it isn't a requirement to get a job here. If they're well qualified or I have nothing better to do they get the full tour. Other days I have shit on the go, an ad out asking for thousands of hours, and a grad of an integrated program with 191.2 hours standing in front of me who keeps quoting that ad and won't leave. Some days applicants get lucky, is what I'm saying.

Because I'm not some bitter antisocial jackass here's what I recommend you do. If you're going to arrive at an employer in person you need to bring physical copies of your resume and cover letter with you. Print them on plain white paper and don't laminate them or make a book or anything, just make it normal. Your experience as written should speak enough to get considered without resorting to gimmicks. Failure to follow that rule means we're probably making fun of you once you leave. There is no requirement for a line pilot to have creativity and flair. You've been warned. When you get there you need to be able to read the situation quickly and adapt accordingly, you may have to bail quickly. Introduce yourself to reception and let them know you're a pilot there to drop off a resume and see where it goes from there. They may call the CP to come meet you, they may not. if they ask why you didn't just email it in it's because you were nearby and wanted to see the operation in person and if there was a chance to meet some of the staff all the better. If you're talking to someone who seems to be ignoring you or rushing you along, make a gracious exit because they have other things to do. Re-reading this I realize it sounds harsh and dynamic, but so is flying some days. Last but not least, some companies use email inboxes as a means of storing applications so it's worth asking if you should email a resume in as well, and if so the best address to send it to.

Good luck, the first job is a pain to get because that's the employer who is taking the biggest risk on you. It gets easier after that.

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Think of it as a sales job where you are trying to sell yourself to gain employment. In my experience both in sales and finding a job as a pilot I found that generally speaking: walk ins are better than cold calls and cold calls are better than emails. Its just too easy to ignore an email these days.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Did this operator have an active ad that states explicitly no drop ins, email only?

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Do not forget the 'walk-in' also serves you as well. It gives you a perspective on the operation - something you will not learn from the Internet. What is the 'atmosphere' of the operation? are the employees relaxed ? or is the front office a 'pit-bull' cage. Do they greet you ? or do they ignore you? Granted you are seeking a 'first job' - but no first job opportunity is worth 'hating to come to work'.
Conversely .. in early '90s I was on job seeking tour or BC interior. (Mechanic - not Pilot) & I drove up into Nelson. Airport nested at the foot of the town adjacent to the lake with mountains on all side. And the morning mist lifting off the lake ... Would have worked there for free ! Dont get that perspective from the Internet.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Good grief...

If an operator states apply by email, do they now need to specify its only by email. Do they really have to spell it out?
I am gob smacked by the entitlement posted here. You want a job,.....operators wishes be damned.

If you insist on in person visits, at least have the courtesy to make an appointment, instead of assuming that management has nothing better scheduled than to meet with you when you drop in.

Btw.. While I was always polite to walkins, it never, not even once, got their resume to the top of the pile, and got it round binned lots of times. The hiring process was a bit more detailed than a hearty handshake as the hiring criteria.

I understand though that some northern , and some small operators like to see a prospective pilot. Make sure they are physically fit to do ramp work, and willing to do anything to advance their career :smt040

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I'm going to postulate "Digits's Law":
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer, the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

trey kule wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:45 pm Good grief...

If an operator states apply by email, do they now need to specify its only by email. Do they really have to spell it out?
I am gob smacked by the entitlement posted here. You want a job,.....operators wishes be damned.

If you insist on in person visits, at least have the courtesy to make an appointment, instead of assuming that management has nothing better scheduled than to meet with you when you drop in.

Btw.. While I was always polite to walkins, it never, not even once, got their resume to the top of the pile, and got it round binned lots of times. The hiring process was a bit more detailed than a hearty handshake as the hiring criteria.

I understand though that some northern , and some small operators like to see a prospective pilot. Make sure they are physically fit to do ramp work, and willing to do anything to advance their career :smt040
digits_ wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:38 pm I'm going to postulate "Digits's Law":
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer, the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
Lol.

It also usually comes from someone who makes way more money and who’s so far removed from the topic in question that they might as well be on Alpha Centauri.

It would be interesting so see those well established fight for their job every year by running this gauntlet and see how they do.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

If a company acts like that after you took the time to drop by then you don't want to work for them because once you're onboard its not going to get any better. Even if you drop by with a resume and they're too busy to take 2 min to say hi and shake your hand the very least a receptionist can do is say thanks and pass your CV on to the hiring team.
Don't let it (or Avcanada) discourage you.

Moesif
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Moesif »

I appreciate most of these replies! Will keep my head up and continue vigilantly seeking in any means without being direspectful

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Moesif wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:35 pm I thought it would be best to head over there in person to apply but I couldn't be more wrong. They told me they only accept email and when I did email, I almost immediately got a resoponse that they were not happy about me showing up and its pretty much guaranteed that I won't be considered for the job. Their add says to email but never mentioned a restriction of being there physically
How about a little name and shame? Who was the company?

I guess you could contact a company first and ask them if it would be alright to come by and discuss employment and attach your CV to the e-mail. Then see what they say.

Each company is different - a little courtesy and consideration works in your favour imho.

Good luck with your search.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “Employment Forum”