No more class 4s?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

No more class 4s?

Post by marakii »

I hold a class 4 flight instructor rating and want to get back into instructing because I enjoy it. I've only being seeing lately ads for class 3 or higher for the most part.

How do we class 4s explain to the CFI to give us a Crack at it.

I get it we need the supervision and now we are dealing with the St. Catharines flying club legal matter.

My rating will expire in about 3 months (flight test requirement) should we go to the school that we want to teach and persuade?

Frustrated and thanks for reading , any ideas.
---------- ADS -----------

AvconsultantON
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: No more class 4s?

Post by AvconsultantON »

My guess would be that an advertisement for a Class 3 is simple, turn-key and easy pending the right person for the job/organization. A Class IV instructor is a probationary position that requires more legal supervision of instructor duties, more guidance and more effort to mould a Class IV into an ideal instructor for the organization.

With that, instructor candidates who walk-in, shake hands with the CFI, show themselves as confident and personable are much more successful in getting the position. Depending on the staffing situation at an FTU (supervision), I would hazard to guess that a sharp Class IV with a good attitude is way better than a mediocre Class III who is starting to burn out from instructing. Point being: go in, introduce yourself, talk about why you like instructing and how you can be a good service to the operation.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

That and there are less and less class I and II's around, so they dont have as many people to do the supervision roles..

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

First question I'd be prepared to answer is simply, why didn't you upgrade in your last position?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

flyingcanuck wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 pm That and there are less and less class I and II's around, so they dont have as many people to do the supervision roles..
I'm not so sure that's a reason. You still need a class 1 or 2 to be a CFI unless it's a 1 man school. You can't have more than 1 class 3 at a school without a class 2 there also.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Crazy, I know someone who's literally been waiting for months, for someone to finish their class 4 so she can have an instructor to do her PPL.

Return to “Employment Forum”