Winair DHC-6 FO posting

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Winair DHC-6 FO posting

Post by Hilroy »

Hi,

I came across the posting of that DHC6 job on PCC... Anyone has infos about the conditions or any experiences that is worth sharing with us?
---------- ADS -----------

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Winair DHC-6 FO posting

Post by FishermanIvan »

No idea about anything there, but I'd love to do it, just to fly to St. Barts and Saba.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I know lots of guys that did the Winair flying. All of them had to buy the PPC Not sure if that's still going on or not... Was many years back. But living down there and building time didn't sound like a bad gig...

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

My experience is quite old but you can check.
WinAir is a Dutch Airline. You willhave to go to,Aruba to do your license conversion. It is not a simple or quick process. And you might have to pay. My knowledge is not recent.
Andunless things have changed you will need a DHC6 type rating on your Canadian license or current PPC...again though, things might have changed, and may not apply to an FO job.
10 years ago they were not hiring expat FOs as a rule, as they were trying to fill the spots with East Carib pilots. Must have run into a shortage.

The pay and working conditions years ago were not bad for an EC junior airline, but not good by Canadian standards,

As to Sabo and particularuly St. Barts...be careful what you wish for, it rapidly fades from being a neat experience to a daily stressful event, and it never gets easier. To be clear, Sabo is not a big deal. The St Barts is the one I was referring to.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Thanks all for the replies

Last edited by Hilroy on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master of Cessna 172
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

If things have not changed...the challange is to get hired. Theybwill look after getting you the conversion.

Accident speculation:
185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

currently hold a Twatter PPC
So I’ve heard some places/ countries want to see the type rating on your license. Seeings as you don’t get a type rating for a -6 in Canada showing them your company’s PPC sign off may not be enough.
There’s a form and a few bucks to send to TC to have the -6 added to your license as a type rating. If you have an ACP at your company they should be able to figure out what box to check to add it to your license.
I’m likely a few years behind in my info but a few fellas went through this back when.
Good luck, sounds like a fun time.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The on your license thing is, or was, a fairly common requirement for all the EC regulators.

It is not difficult to get. You used to be able to use your PPC as evidence and fill out a form , have it signed, and voila...a -6 rating. At the time I was an ACP and signed my own. Not sure now who can sign now. An email will get you a quick answer.

The TC office in Vancouver used to have a lot of experience with the process.

I just hope that not to many pilots have tried to get the rating without any experience at all, and screwed it up for the rest of you.
It happens. I have seen pilots who claim PIC time on type and who, on their first flight, are surprised by the rudder locks and are stumped by how to take them out. Yet have a type rating and PIC in their logbooks...True story.

Accident speculation:
Dash-6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash-6 »

Winair is trying their hardest to avoid having to hire EXPATS because no one stays for longer than one year with the amount of lucrative jobs in North America and Europe once you get 1000 hours plusTT.

I wouldn’t discourage anyone from trying anything , but be prepared to be jerked around and given a bullshit excuse from the current Chief Pilot,who doesn’t necessarily pick candidates based on qualifications but based on who he knows through a friend of a friend through a friend. personally seeing that first hand when i was down there,they got hired before ever having a DHC6 Rating or the conversion.

Winair in my example having flown there, is a Northern carrier located in the South, aka you have the same BS northern pilots have, you just you don’t have ice or snow to deal with. You land in SXM with no accommodation or guidance from the company as to where is the best and safest place to live and the cheapest.

That’s just my two cents bash it or take it, i thought i would help.

Last edited by Dash-6 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

I sent them an email to get some details, and they never answered... :o

Master of Cessna 172
Dash-6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dash-6 »

Here’s Winairs current chief pilot. Keeping it very professional.

Attachments
28482502-5D87-4022-B55E-A2EC2F899DAF.jpeg
28482502-5D87-4022-B55E-A2EC2F899DAF.jpeg (392.68 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

Return to “Employment Forum”