Training on my own time?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Philip Buster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Training on my own time?

Post by Philip Buster »

For context, I work as a technician. I was informed by one of my supervisors that he intends on training me on CARs during my lunch break. I don't know if this is normal for the aviation industry, but I personally don't like the sound of this.

It's not that my lunch would be pushed to a later time, but that I would actually lose that time for myself to do some training. All of my training so far has been on-the-job while on the clock, but this is one thing he's trying to push on my own time. I get that he would be sacrificing his own lunch for this as well, but all of this still seems fishy. If it's work-related, then I think it should be happening during work hours.

Is this normal? Am I being unreasonable here?
---------- ADS -----------

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Training on my own time?

Post by Schooner69A »

Your supervisor is willing to give up HIS lunch time to assist with YOUR training..?

Back in the '80s, a company for which I worked wanted to send an AME on a turbine engine course. Tech asked if he'd be getting more money when he got back. When his supervisor answered in the negative, tech said he wasn't interested. Months later, tech and company parted company. (Should mention that tech was into 'the weed' on his time off...)

I would say that this extra training is for your benefit, not his.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

The other alternative is that he just tells you to learn it at home without the benefit of an instructor.

If you want a career in aviation, (or any career other than the front line service industry), you will spend some of your non-work time studying.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The litmus test is if this is for the company or for you.

If this is part of company training as outlined in the MPM, then of course it should be on company time.

If it’s to help you understand the CARs as it relates to you getting your CARs exam done and achieving your licence,
then you should take advantage of it and perhaps think of what kind of beer this person likes for taking their own time to tutor you.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

This is so common in this business. I have training coming up, lo and behold it falls on my days off and I don't get a say in it, and I don't get payed OT for it. Still shitty to make you give up your lunch break.

Return to “Employment Forum”