Westjet or Sunwing

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Westjet or Sunwing FO

Westjet
24%
Sunwing
76%

Total votes: 87

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Westjet or Sunwing

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

If you got offer from both companies, which offer for First Officer would you take and why? Specifically wondering about upgrade times and pay etc.
---------- ADS -----------

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Westjet or Sunwing

Post by Handover »

Without a doubt Sunwing. Depending on experience upgrade times immediately to a couple of years.

WestJet I suspect somewhat more.

As a first year FO, I'm looking at about $90k this year all up.

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

If you are looking for a faster upgrade time, sunwing is probably a better place to go. As far as a career airline, personally I would be apprehensive to go to sunwing. Sunwing is a hotel/resort company that happens to operate airplanes. To the best of my knowledge, they don’t operate airplanes as efficiently as most schedules service airlines. I wouldn’t be surprised if sunwing’s accounting team decided to farm out the charter work to another company. Obviously this will not happen unless we enter a rough recession, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility.

WestJet is not immune to this kind of thing either. Many “great” airlines have come and gone in the past, and I don’t think any job is 100% safe. All I’m saying is if I were in a position to choose between the two airlines, I wouldn’t choose sunwing.

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Dizzy D wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:42 pm If you are looking for a faster upgrade time, sunwing is probably a better place to go.
Probably?? What are the upgrade times at WestJet?

Sunwing is 49% owned by Tui. A company almost ten times the size of WestJet. I know where I'd place my bets as to who is going to last longer. WestJet seems like a gong show these days

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Sunwing 100%

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

West jet is much more diversified incase on an economic downturn.

Sunwing transports one type of passenger for one purpose to a limited set of destinations.

Think of where you want to be siting in the next down turn.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Sunwing. If you go to WJ you might get “Swooped”. Plus you’ll get perpetually bumped down the list by the Encore folks. I don’t know what the time to a left seat at WJ would be but I bet it’s a very long time.

Let’s Go Brandon
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I think you should contact both HR departments and schedule a meeting between yourself and them. Clarify the benefits of them employing yourself, and open the bidding.

Remember. You are entitled to , and deserve everything you get.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:27 pm Sunwing. If you go to WJ you might get “Swooped”. Plus you’ll get perpetually bumped down the list by the Encore folks. I don’t know what the time to a left seat at WJ would be but I bet it’s a very long time.
You are wrong. On the application is specifically asks would you go to Swoop, mainline or both. They respect your decision in the interview.

Return to “Employment Forum”