Good career start - flight dispatcher

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Good career start - flight dispatcher

Post by igorcanuck »

Hey guys, I got good advice for new pilots or even students pilots on how to do your first step into an airline. Go there as a flight dispatcher.
I've been working for Perimeter Aviation for the last 2 years, and I can tell it is a really good job. As a dispatcher, you will be dealing with all pilot-related stuff, like weather, cars, weight and balance, etc. It will get you well prepared for your first airline training.
You will be in touch with Captains all day long and be able to construct a good relationship and to build your way into the flight line.
Perimeter is known as a company that gives the first opportunity to new pilots, so if you're a brand new pilot or even a PPL student, consider this as a really good start. Perimeter uses Foreflight, so you will be able to use it and study for your next TC exams. I studied for my Inrat, Saron and Samra most of the time during my breaks on the job. Really nice.
To become a flight dispatcher you just need a Canadian radio license and TC FD Ops and FD Met to he hired. These exams are free of charge and if you have an aviation background, the exam is pretty simple (much easier than a pilot exam).
This patch seems much easier to me comparing, for example, as a rampie. As a dispatcher you will be seating at the office, with air conditioning, keurig, kitchen, washroom, and sometimes watching the hockey playoffs... No heavy liftings, no winter operations... The salary is much better as well... actually better than FO salary!!
You will take home 1300 bi-weekly + 3% increase per year. Schedules 7 on 7 off. Frequently OT required to cover sick days, vacations, etc. One single day of OT you will take more than $300 home. It is not a bad deal! They offer good benefits, like Myid travel and even a WestJet jumpseat agreement for dispatchers. You just pay just the taxes to fly WJ.
Perimeter is a diverse company, I came here 2 years ago from another country and was welcomed well. I worked with Canadians, Europeans, Asians, Africans, South Americans, men and women... Everyone is welcomed there.
Since 2017 I've seen a lot of guys going to Flightline from a ground position, most of them to the Metros but some of them direct to the Dash 8.
Good luck guys! Perimeter is hiring right now:

https://perimeter.ca/career-opportunity ... patcher-2/

Fly safe!
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Good career start - flight dispatcher

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

I’m glad it’s worked out well for you!

Keep the sunny side up now!!!

All the best,
TPC

CYWG Mike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CYWG Mike »

Hi,
A couple of questions, are you personally wanting to be a pilot? Is there anyone working as a Dispatcher that wants that as their career?
Thanks
CYWG Mike

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

I'm about 50 hours away from my CPL flight test (Single engine) and was thinking of attempting to find some work doing pipeline patrolling/aerial surveying. How realistic is this in today's market as I've heard that most operators require you to have a ME/IR rating even for single engine gigs (already have a group 4 IFR)

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

studentpil0t wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:23 pm I'm about 50 hours away from my CPL flight test (Single engine) and was thinking of attempting to find some work doing pipeline patrolling/aerial surveying. How realistic is this in today's market as I've heard that most operators require you to have a ME/IR rating even for single engine gigs (already have a group 4 IFR)
Got nothing to lose from applying.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Just be warned, many jobs that are advertised as "Flight Dispatcher" are nothing of the sort. There are no dispatchers for flying school 172s. Only 705 airplanes require dispatchers, so don't be fooled.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

studentpil0t wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:23 pm I'm about 50 hours away from my CPL flight test (Single engine) and was thinking of attempting to find some work doing pipeline patrolling/aerial surveying. How realistic is this in today's market as I've heard that most operators require you to have a ME/IR rating even for single engine gigs (already have a group 4 IFR)
I know guys hired on the PC12 with a Group 3 IR so the idea to acquire ME/IR before job hunting is not always the best one. But then again, it all depends on the operator at the end of the day. You should apply, nonetheless, if aerial surveying is all you want to get your feet wet in for now. But for bigger, more established 703/704 operators, having a ME/IR is a good idea.

MrA

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

CYWG Mike wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:11 am Hi,
A couple of questions, are you personally wanting to be a pilot? Is there anyone working as a Dispatcher that wants that as their career?
Thanks
CYWG Mike
Yes, I’m finishing my stuff to become a pilot. I can tell you right now there are 2 Captains here that were dispatchers in the past and at least 5 or 6 FOs.

CYWG Mike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CYWG Mike »

igorcanuck wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:36 pm
CYWG Mike wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:11 am Hi,
Thanks
CYWG Mike
Yes, I’m finishing my stuff to become a pilot. I can tell you right now there are 2 Captains here that were dispatchers in the past and at least 5 or 6 FOs.
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Is there anyone who is a Dispatcher that does not want to be a pilot, but just wants to have a career as a dispatcher.
Cheers

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Dispatch definitely is a career, at least in 705 world. (Even though some say it isn’t...)
It also opens up tons of other opportunities.
Lots of dispatchers are PPL CPL ME/IR as well as ex-ATC

rjak707
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rjak707 »

Dispatch in a 705 environment is most definitely a career if you so choose. I am the Chief Dispatcher at my work and enjoy it very much while I have a PPL to fly for fun.

CYWG Mike
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CYWG Mike »

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it very much.

Cheers

Return to “Employment Forum”