Training While Working Duty Times

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Training While Working Duty Times

Post by AirDoan »

Good morning.

Before someone says search, I have been and reading the CARs. But for the life of me I have not found definitive confirmation about how training and/or recreational flying affects ones time limitations under the new regs. I work skydiving right now. Normally not a very busy gig however if the last month has shown me anything, it could be for the 28 and 90 day limitations (30 hours this weekend alone). I have also started my multi training and it's got me wondering the legality of work and training times counting. I know that private time building is counted toward the flight time restrictions, but even for this I have not found confirmation in the CARs. I admit I struggle with the Air Law side of things at times. I don't really see much separating anything out of the flight time restrictions. I can not see a statement such as "these rules apply except when in a training environment" or what have you. I read it as all flight times counting though not duty time. Ultimately once I know I want to set up a new spread sheet to track all this stuff but need to make sure I get it right!

Thank you in advance for your help!
---------- ADS -----------

Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Training While Working Duty Times

Post by Mach .28 »

You can take a look at this.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-1872.htm

Basically you are bound by the most restrictive portion on the CARs. If you do additional flight time such as private flying or training it counts towards the CARs 700 duty time regulations. However if you hit the max 28 day or 30 day restriction you can still fly privately or do training but would be effectively "fatigued" to complete any commercial tasks. Transport Canada gives a sample of this of Cars 703/704 mixed flying in the old regs document.

From the new regs: (http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2018/ ... 9-eng.html)

Maximum Flight Time

700.27 (1) An air operator shall not assign flight time to a flight crew member, and a flight crew member shall not accept such an assignment, if the member’s total flight time will, as a result, exceed

(a) 112 hours in any 28 consecutive days;
(b) 300 hours in any 90 consecutive days;
(c) 1,000 hours in any 365 consecutive days; or
(d) in the case of a single-pilot operation, 8 hours in any 24 consecutive hours.

(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), a flight crew member’s flight time includes

(a) the flight time accumulated from other flight operations; and
(b) the total flight time of a flight with an augmented flight crew.

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Training While Working Duty Times

Post by AirDoan »

Thank you. That's kinda what I thought. But my former CP, boss here and my instructor all told me that the training would not apply. Which didn't sit well with me and made me think my interpretation was incorrect. I'll go over the materials you've linked to again. It is greatly appreciated!

Return to “Employment Forum”