Pilot Shortage / Minimums /disconnect

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Coppertop401
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Pilot Shortage / Minimums /disconnect

Post by Coppertop401 »

To all:

What an interesting and insightful thread I've created. All of the POV's expressed either positive or negative on the state of the industry and the overall job market were very helpful.

I still think there are companies out there that insist on sticking to their minimums no matter what, and as a result the positions go unfilled for weeks and weeks. Perhaps the minimums are set by their insurance carrier, or simply by mere attitude of the hiring decision maker. Agreed that some are beginning to get it by lowering the minimums and giving new pilots a chance. I think this is overall healthy for the industry.

Great discussion and thanks to all who contributed.
---------- ADS -----------

Coppertop401
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Coppertop401 »

Let me rephrase the last part of my remarks, I said:

"Agreed that some are beginning to get it by lowering the minimums and giving new pilots a chance. I think this is overall healthy for the industry"

A better statement would be:

"Agreed that some are beginning to get it by lowering the minimums and allowing new pilots a chance to be worked into the system. I think this is overall healthy for the industry.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

I would much rather live in YQT than YYZ. Living poor in YYZ is depressing with the traffic, price of housing, entertainment, etc., but a313 is correct, I think most would. My coworker is finishing his IFR and is going to become an instructor because he refuses to move. He never wants to leave a big city. That may be the majority, but it's not how everyone feels.
Tell him to go live in Sioux Lookout for a few months, Thunder Bay will feel like a megacity after that!

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Try living in Sandy Lake, Pickle Lake or Fort Severn. Would make Southern ONT like Sioux Lookout look like a goldmine to live in :lol: all a matter of perspective.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

Someone should tell OP that Carson just upgraded a 600 hr FO on the metro. And the race to the bottom draws near.

Coppertop401
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Coppertop401 »

Ahhhh.....some good news.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Wait... 600hr on type? Or total?

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Try living in Sandy Lake, Pickle Lake or Fort Severn. Would make Southern ONT like Sioux Lookout look like a goldmine to live in :lol: all a matter of perspective

Ha yeah, spent a couple of weeks in Pickle and good point.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

bring me the horizon wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm Someone should tell OP that Carson just upgraded a 600 hr FO on the metro. And the race to the bottom draws near.
If that’s total time, that’s just outright dangerous.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Blackdog0301 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:07 am
bring me the horizon wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm Someone should tell OP that Carson just upgraded a 600 hr FO on the metro. And the race to the bottom draws near.
If that’s total time, that’s just outright dangerous.
Hardly. It depends entirely on the competence of the individual. I’ve flown with some 200hr pilots where I’d put my family onboard without hesitation and some 2000hr pilots where I just shake my head. Hours are great, but talent and good training are king.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

I disagree. No 600 hour pilot should be left seat in a multi engined high performance turboprop. I'm willing to bet that if this is the case that they are splitting the duties with a more qualified captain for a couple hundred hours before being cut loose.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

The ol' metro is a lot of airplane for a 600hr wonder, especially in winter. Carson had a low experienced Capt in a green on green situation do a runway excursion in Regina on a "PMA" ILS couple of years ago (I believed they touched down something like 8000' long). As far as I'm concerned, Kingair or PC12 are much more forgiving for less experienced crews.

That being said, I'd still trust more the 1500 hr ATPL holding metro left seater than the 1500 hr Jazz cadet/flight instructor who bought their ATPLs driving in circles around YYC.

[edit] Actually it was 7900' long
http://avherald.com/h?article=46e77db2

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

How did we ever win WW2 with all those 200 hr kids flying fighters and bombers?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

A very targeted training program, high accident/fatality rate, and just enough of a better training than the enemy.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:01 pm How did we ever win WW2 with all those 200 hr kids flying fighters and bombers?
...Well, that was a much...ahem.. "hardier generation".. to say the least!

My observation in regards to smaller companies competing for Pilots with the Regionals is that about the only thing that remote 703/704 operators have done to entice Pilots to their operation is to offer "rotations" to and from anywhere in Canada and paying out "retention" bonuses. I think this is a definite sign of the beginning of these operators realizing that the "Pilot market" has changed. (Prior to now, I think Borek was the only operator that ever offered rotations).

Keep the dirty side down.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

My first flying job in aviation was aerial application and I got that job with just over 200 hours, I managed to survive it with no incidents.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If <insert regional airline> had a cadet program where, after 250hrs you have a Q400 type rating, I bet the quality of candidates would be better. Progress could be as follows:
172, for PPL and IFR trainer. Total 100hrs
172 for CPL training. Total 50 hours
Seminole for multi and M-IFR, 50hrs total
King Air C90 for turbine and pressurized flight, 50hrs total
Q400 sim for type rating, another 50 hours.

CPL training could also include working with a dispatch system, using an MEL, LOFT style exercises, actual IFR flight. Then continue similar exercises towards the end of the Seminole and King Air

Funny, it's similar to the military, but they use Grobs and the Harvard II instead, then the King Air.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:01 pm How did we ever win WW2 with all those 200 hr kids flying fighters and bombers?
Great question :roll:
https://www.realclearhistory.com/articl ... i_412.html
Over the course of the war 200,000 trainees flunked out or died in training accidents.
The U.S. lost 65,164 planes during the war, but only 22,948 in combat. There were 21,583 lost due to accidents in the U.S., and another 20,633 lost in accidents overseas.
And that's just the US.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

The other guys used a 190 hour ‘integrated program.’

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:31 pm If <insert regional airline> had a cadet program where, after 250hrs you have a Q400 type rating, I bet the quality of candidates would be better. Progress could be as follows:
172, for PPL and IFR trainer. Total 100hrs
172 for CPL training. Total 50 hours
Seminole for multi and M-IFR, 50hrs total
King Air C90 for turbine and pressurized flight, 50hrs total
Q400 sim for type rating, another 50 hours.

CPL training could also include working with a dispatch system, using an MEL, LOFT style exercises, actual IFR flight. Then continue similar exercises towards the end of the Seminole and King Air

Funny, it's similar to the military, but they use Grobs and the Harvard II instead, then the King Air.
And after the cadet training, they would have a 25year $1,000,000 bond....this is Canada you know

Return to “Employment Forum”