Pilot in waiting working the ramp?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

a313
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pilot in waiting working the ramp?

Post by a313 »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by a313 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

A job is a job. No harm in taking this job while still applying for other flying positions at the same time. If no one else calls and you end up flying with this company? Great! If you work the ramp for a month and get a flying position somewhere else? Great! In my opinion it's better to have a job that could lead to flying then to be working somewhere that doesn't.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

a313 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:36 am ...take a ramp job and continue applying while you're waiting for the flight line...
If jump season is over in a month, and you'll be looking for work regardless, then this is an alright option. Just make sure to keep applying for an actual pilot position. Ramping is a manual labour job and you are a pilot. Really no different than construction labourer, except that a flying position is the carrot, oh and a labourer is paid more.

lownslowvmc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lownslowvmc »

I mean no offence, but at 500 hours a ramp job seems absolutely absurd to me. Might be time to reflect on yourself, or get a second opinion. Your resume, how you present yourself, what you're applying for could all be holding you back.

I could easily name 15 companies just off the top of my head that are hiring right now and have 500 hours as an "asset" or "preference" right now.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

I wouldn’t take a ramp position if you have 500+ hours. They’re exploiting you still, and you should be guaranteed a captain position after you’re “initiation” if you will. You should be able to hold a Navajo captain slot with that kind of time. Assuming your a decent pilot.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

happyflying wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:29 am I was offered a pilot in waiting position where I would be working the ramp in a remote northern Ontario community with the expectation that this would lead to a first officer position within 6 months. I am not sure if I should accept this offer.

I have 600 hours total flight time. I am currently a jump pilot and the skydiving season will be over in 1 month so I will be in the market for a new job. I have my CPL, group 1 IFR, IATRA. I have tried applying to several positions only requiring 500 hours total time however I haven't heard back from any of them. With the flight time that I have should I decline the pilot in waiting position and wait for a direct entry first officer position?
You can try Perimeter in YWG. With your hours, you can easily go direct medevac (42k year before bonus) after few months on the ramp. If you prefer, they have office positions (flight follower or dispatcher) available right now. It would save some labour work during the winter months...
This is the worst case scenario, movement is crazy right now, I won't be surprised if they offer you a right seat right away. (Specially if you're willing to move to YTH or YXL)
Good luck!

Return to “Employment Forum”