Pay for you PPC - Is it starting already?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Kardow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pay for you PPC - Is it starting already?

Post by Kardow »

Looks like Transwet Air is looking for freshly new first officers right out from flight school but.....
Transwest Air has opportunities for full-time King Air 200 First Officers position located in LaRonge, Saskatchewan.

BE20 (King Air 200) First Officers (2)

Full Time
La Ronge, SK

The successful candidates may be required to enter into a financial commitment for training costs prior to the start of training.

Position Requirements:

250 hours total flight time
100 Pilot in Command hours
Current Multi Engine Instrument Rating
Instrument Rating
Valid IATRA
Must have current and valid passport
Must be able to obtain Transport Canada Restricted Area Pass (RAIC)
Must meet requirements established by Client Standards

Is it really happening? Companies taking advantage on the pandemic over-satured pilot market right now to make new commercial pilots PAY for their training? :oops: Doesn't look like a simple training bond here...
I guess that is why the ad is not posted on Avcanada!
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Pay for you PPC - Is it starting already?

Post by Aviatard »

Training bonds have always been about “training costs”

smashmonkey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by smashmonkey »

I find this whole thing interesting because of the Westwind/Transwest relationship. Does anyone know if the f/o's from laid off from Westwind have a chance at getting hired?

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Kardow wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 am Looks like Transwet Air is looking for freshly new first officers right out from flight school but.....
Transwest Air has opportunities for full-time King Air 200 First Officers position located in LaRonge, Saskatchewan.

BE20 (King Air 200) First Officers (2)

Full Time
La Ronge, SK

The successful candidates may be required to enter into a financial commitment for training costs prior to the start of training.

Position Requirements:

250 hours total flight time
100 Pilot in Command hours
Current Multi Engine Instrument Rating
Instrument Rating
Valid IATRA
Must have current and valid passport
Must be able to obtain Transport Canada Restricted Area Pass (RAIC)
Must meet requirements established by Client Standards

Is it really happening? Companies taking advantage on the pandemic over-satured pilot market right now to make new commercial pilots PAY for their training? :oops: Doesn't look like a simple training bond here...
I guess that is why the ad is not posted on Avcanada!
Those bastards! How dare they look out for themselves!

You didn’t even look to see if it’s a promissory note. Just assumed it’s a cheque you write out to them. But I get it. Jump on the bonds are evil pilots are peaches bandwagon. Let whoever wants to sign sign, and those that don’t don’t.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Ironically, now is not the time that companies need bonds- pilots will be staying put for a while. If they needed bonds, it was a year ago when pilots weren't staying anywhere for more than a year.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

Transwest's job ads have been nearly identical, including the reference to a financial commitment, for years. Nothing new or different since the pandemic began.

Back in May the outrage was over a Beaver job with a financial commitment.

http://avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=138706

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only thing it says is you have to enter a financial commitment, not give money upfront.

I believe the only people who you have to put money upfront is Air Nunavut. I think you have to provide 10k, which they reimburse you over a 12 month period.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Bede wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 am Ironically, now is not the time that companies need bonds- pilots will be staying put for a while. If they needed bonds, it was a year ago when pilots weren't staying anywhere for more than a year.
Actually it was the opposite.

No bonds at Jazz or Encore, so why would you ever sign one at a 703/704 carrier?

No, lots of bonds disappeared as a way to get anyone into a seat, for no matter how long. Parked planes cost a lot more than training costs.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 pm
Bede wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 am Ironically, now is not the time that companies need bonds- pilots will be staying put for a while. If they needed bonds, it was a year ago when pilots weren't staying anywhere for more than a year.
Actually it was the opposite.

No bonds at Jazz or Encore, so why would you ever sign one at a 703/704 carrier?

No, lots of bonds disappeared as a way to get anyone into a seat, for no matter how long. Parked planes cost a lot more than training costs.
I think that we’re saying the same thing.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Just before this went to sugar honey iced tea, Corporate sold my ride. I was lucky enough to get on with a small company that sent me to sim in the USA. I was coming back, when I had 2 calls while waiting for my bags in customs with offers of groundschool dates. Sorry these guys just spent a ton of dough, they need to recoup my costs first, thanks but if you are still looking in the spring, I would be interested. Fast Forward to Covid, both companies shed 20% of their workforce. Being true to your word sometimes has its benefits

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

rigpiggy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:41 am Just before this went to sugar honey iced tea, Corporate sold my ride. I was lucky enough to get on with a small company that sent me to sim in the USA. I was coming back, when I had 2 calls while waiting for my bags in customs with offers of groundschool dates. Sorry these guys just spent a ton of dough, they need to recoup my costs first, thanks but if you are still looking in the spring, I would be interested. Fast Forward to Covid, both companies shed 20% of their workforce. Being true to your word sometimes has its benefits
Even if the other guys didn’t get hit, there’s a lot to be said for integrity. Hopefully it’ll catch on!

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

You ALWAYS pay for your own training, either through a bond, or low wage to start with. No company is ignorant of the bottom line, or they probably won't be around very long. I am fairly certain, that even in good times, the margins in the vast majority are not very good - probably on par with restaurants.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Disagree. There are still pilot jobs to be had out there. Also the potential for recall for many who are furloughed. It's already happening at Flair. AC has stopped their layoffs for now and who knows what happens in the future if more pax start travelling as certain rules get relaxed or lifted. Factor in a cure in the coming year, and who knows. Corporate flying seems to be thriving right now and there is continuous hiring. There are still pilots who will jump ship to a better opportunity. So yeah, I can see the need for bonds for some. I don't like them especially the ones where you pay up front, but they won't be disappearing anytime soon.

Return to “Employment Forum”