What should entry level pilots do?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

What should entry level pilots do?

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hello everyone,

Since the pandemic is going on what are your suggestions?
---------- ADS -----------

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: What should entry level pilots do?

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Find a job wherever you can and wait for this to blow over.

That's what I'm doing, thankfully aviation was a second career for me so I have something to fall back on until things pick up.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Rent a plane once in a while, and have little adventures to keep current. I know it costs money, but this won't be the end of spending money on airplanes unfortunately.

Shinyjetsyndrome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Shinyjetsyndrome »

ayseven wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:27 am Rent a plane once in a while, and have little adventures to keep current. I know it costs money, but this won't be the end of spending money on airplanes unfortunately.
This is what I’m doing while trying to pay down debts and build up savings. There’s nothing you can really do right now with the state of the industry as a low time pilot aside from the odd ramp gig.

cxchd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cxchd »

This was my situation back in the early 80's. You couldn't buy a job. I was offered an apprenticeship as a Millwright and took it as I could see it would be a long time for the industry to recover. I did this this for 20 years, bought a house, got married, had kids. Once the kids were more independent I went back to get my instructor rating. Taught part time for 5 years, made some contacts and today skipper on a 767. I used to tell my commercial students, always have a backup because this industry is so cyclical. Seems every 8-10 years something happens and aviation is the first industry to take the hit.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Nice story! I got out too. I just never got back in. Very nice to see a story that worked out. 80's were not good, but I always found work flying, somehow.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

As a furloughed regional pilot currently working in a non aviation office job I am trying my best to start a business on the side which I can continue working on if and when I return to aviation.

In my opinion a successful business is a better safety net than a degree because degrees require relevant and recent experience to get hired. I guess doing a trade would be another option as from what I hear having recent experience isn't as big a deal as long as you have your red seal ticket.

Return to “Employment Forum”