Getting that first flight instructor job - advise request

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Getting that first flight instructor job - advise request

Post by 780Pilot »

redlaser wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:28 pm Blowing in the wind, if you think that if there are fewer instructors out there you will get a better pay your mistaken, The FTU that you are working for will probably shut down for lack of students. Airline companies are all going broke, no future for airline pilots.
Same as a previous poster. It has been off the wall busy. For every 10 students we bring on 7 of them still wanna go all the way (CPL MIFR). People don't seem to care about the current state of the industry. The "cross that bridge when I get there" mentality seems to be the mindset of a lot of students these days. Especially when the entire course of training can easy take 2 years or more depending on personal timelines.
---------- ADS -----------

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

Some want to follow that dream no matter what the costs, Over the years I've seen many pilots with an ATPL give up because of the costs involved in staying current.

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

My experience 20 years ago was that if the school that does your instructor rating isn't willing to hire you, you've set yourself up for a much more difficult road ahead. Its a shitty spot to be in, because the schools who have a class 1 will always try to hire their own grads first, you can't freelance, you need a class 2 to supervise you so any tiny school with 1 plane doesn't need you, it's all an uphill battle.

I got my first instructing job teaching on ultralights. Over the next 50 hours teaching, I had more near death experiences than in the following 5000 hours combined. No joke.

See if you can get a job at the desk or on the ramp at a school that will put you in line for the next instructing job. Maybe they will thrown you some discovery flights or get you teaching on the sim. Once you’re in, see if they are cool with you marketing the school on your own. Make posters with phone number tabs and sell sell sell the dream. I put up thousands of them all over school campuses universities, colleges, the EI office...Every 10 posters I got one call, every 10 calls I did one discovery flight, and every 10 discovery flights I landed one student. Teach groundschool, If people like you they might ask to fly with you.

Return to “Employment Forum”