Class IV Flight Instructor Job Market (West or East)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kakwanivan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Class IV Flight Instructor Job Market (West or East)

Post by kakwanivan »

Hi,

I am planning to start my instructor rating training by the end of this year. I love teaching and I have mentoring and counseling backgrounds. My goal is to be employed as a class IV instructor at the FTU I obtain the instructor rating. I heard that there are more opportunities on the west side of Canada. Should I go to the west(BC, Alberta) or the east(Ontario)? I know that there is no shortage of fresh class IV instructors, but I will work my ass off for any available opportunities.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Hawk009
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Class IV Flight Instructor Job Market (West or East)

Post by Hawk009 »

You seem to have good reasons to pursue the rating and not just doing it out of being desperate by the current state of the industry.
My advise, don’t let the current lack of hiring class iv’s be a sole deterrent from your current location or FTU. Eventually (and hopefully) class iv’s will be called at the FTUs they trained in and maybe you want to have such opportunity even if you found a FI job somewhere else while waiting for an interview at your school. I will quote Heavy Rayn’s response on a similar topic: FTU’s have “large pool of home-grown candidates, and I see little reason for us to look outside that pool when it comes to new class IV instructors”

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Also remember that the entire instructor rating course is one long interview. If you don’t show a professional attitude while training, you’re probably not going to get hired at the end of the course regardless of how well you do. My $0.02

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

kakwanivan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 pm Hi,

I am planning to start my instructor rating training by the end of this year. I love teaching and I have mentoring and counseling backgrounds. My goal is to be employed as a class IV instructor at the FTU I obtain the instructor rating. I heard that there are more opportunities on the west side of Canada. Should I go to the west(BC, Alberta) or the east(Ontario)? I know that there is no shortage of fresh class IV instructors, but I will work my ass off for any available opportunities.

Thanks!
West is Best, East is Least....just sayin' 😉

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Get any job at an FTU. Anything such as working the desk, fuelling planes, even taking out the trash lol. Whatever it takes to get your foot in the door. Then start your training with them. That way your already on the payroll and the easiest (or hardest not too lol) too hire into the flight department. There might even be an employee discount on flight training/aircraft rentals. There may not be a lot of movement flying wise now but there maybe other jobs to do.

Return to “Employment Forum”