Currency

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Scubes76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Currency

Post by Scubes76 »

Hey all, just something I've been pondering for a while. Like most I've been patiently waiting for things to pick back up again but it's been almost 16 months since I last flew and I'm not sure how much longer it will be before I'm able to get back into a flying gig (I was a low time FO with a regional flying a twin turboprop). I haven't bothered to renew my medical (I"m over 40) I don't really see the point without having some kind of set date in mind. Besides the medical, my IFR is obviously lapsed but my thought process is that it would be renewed with my initial training on whatever plane I'm able to get back on. Is there anything else that I'm missing here that I should be aware of? I've been going thru my dauntless IFR app every now and then to keep my mind somewhat in the game but it feels kind of hopeless at the moment....
---------- ADS -----------

Greasy Greaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Currency

Post by Greasy Greaser »

Might be beneficial to just keep renewing the medical, things will eventually pick up, especially for regionals and having the peace of mind knowing you are good to fly (medically speaking) is worth the yearly 20 minute medical.

Plus you never know, another gig could pop up last minute and would be pretty silly saying your medical is expired imo.

Lose != Loose
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

I'd be careful letting my medical lapse, with TC having a huge backlog you never know what you might have to deal with

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Just don't let it go 5 years since you acted as PIC or SIC or it's a pain in the ass to get back.

Scubes76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scubes76 »

flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:07 pm I'd be careful letting my medical lapse, with TC having a huge backlog you never know what you might have to deal with
Yeah that's fair but if I'm not mistaken, isn't your medical considered valid again right at the doc's office once he stamps your book and signs off? As far as the sticker in the mail that could come whenever. Funds are tight these days and $150 here $200 there when I have no clue of when I might fly again is not on the top of my list but then again that's why I'm reaching out on here to see if there's something bigger that I'm missing... Appreciate your feedback!

Scubes76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scubes76 »

co-joe wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 pm Just don't let it go 5 years since you acted as PIC or SIC or it's a pain in the ass to get back.
Yes I could definitely see that and with all the news lately of plummeting case counts and airlines restarting cancelled routes I'm hopeful that demand will pickup within the coming months. I definitely wouldn't go 5 years without getting in the left seat again...

Return to “Employment Forum”