Morningstar C208 YVR

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Morningstar C208 YVR

Post by Tbayer2021 »

scdriver wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:44 am
Flight94 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:03 pm
I’m surprised it’s that low for single pilot IFR. Hard to live off that in yvr too. Be better off driving a caravan on floats at Seair
As a comparison, Skylink Express, which flies the exact same routes and similar schedule as Morningstar out of YVR with the C208, pays $40k per year, no benefits, no union, no uniform, no medical, etc. And they load/unload their own plane.
I really don’t understand why the hell anyone would take that job

Maybe because they had no other option at that moment in time? Lets be real, not everyone gets the same opportunities in life. We all know most people would take a higher paying job with better benefits and protections if they could.
---------- ADS -----------

Don Cherry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Don Cherry »

I’m surprised it’s that low for single pilot IFR. Hard to live off that in yvr too. Be better off driving a caravan on floats at Seair
As a comparison, Skylink Express, which flies the exact same routes and similar schedule as Morningstar out of YVR with the C208, pays $40k per year, no benefits, no union, no uniform, no medical, etc. And they load/unload their own plane.
Because it's better to load/unload a C208 for UPS than load/unload an UPS truck... At least you're logging hours to jump ships in the future. Also, everything said above is true, but an union is coming soon to Skylink. Cheers.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:39 am

Maybe because they had no other option at that moment in time? Lets be real, not everyone gets the same opportunities in life. We all know most people would take a higher paying job with better benefits and protections if they could.
I definitely understand that, but assuming most (all?) of the Skylink 208 pilots were hired prior to COVID, I find it hard to believe that most of them wouldn’t have other options. Yes, I know everyone’s situation is different but still. The few thousand hours to get that job would almost certainly offer other opportunities in yvr. I would genuinely like to know more about the folks there though and why they choose to fly there.

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

I definitely understand that, but assuming most (all?) of the Skylink 208 pilots were hired prior to COVID, I find it hard to believe that most of them wouldn’t have other options. Yes, I know everyone’s situation is different but still. The few thousand hours to get that job would almost certainly offer other opportunities in yvr. I would genuinely like to know more about the folks there though and why they choose to fly there.
Schedule is/was a big one. Caravan pilots only fly weekdays, all weekends and holidays off. Short hops to the island, home every night. Considering its SPIFR, the hiring req's are actually pretty low, only 1000 TT. Most guys that got hired had no previous IFR experience. And even though it only pays 40k, it's equivalent if not better than any right seat gig.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Flight94 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:57 pm
Schedule is/was a big one. Caravan pilots only fly weekdays, all weekends and holidays off. Short hops to the island, home every night. Considering its SPIFR, the hiring req's are actually pretty low, only 1000 TT. Most guys that got hired had no previous IFR experience. And even though it only pays 40k, it's equivalent if not better than any right seat gig.
What’s the progression though? Can you fly a 1900 outta yvr? If they pay 40k for a caravan pilot I can’t imagine they pay much for a 1900 pilot. I think I’d have to disagree that it’s better than any right seat gig. I’d rather be in the right seat at Jazz or even Pasco I think where yes there will be some inevitable shittiness with schedule and what not for a while, but you’ll be ahead with career progression, salary, benefits, pension, and an all important seniority number. That’s all just my opinion though coming from a view that it’s really not possible to have a great life as a pilot
in yvr making 40k. Would you honestly say that the good schedule makes up for the pay and lack of benefits?

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

What’s the progression though? Can you fly a 1900 outta yvr? If they pay 40k for a caravan pilot I can’t imagine they pay much for a 1900 pilot. I think I’d have to disagree that it’s better than any right seat gig. I’d rather be in the right seat at Jazz or even Pasco I think where yes there will be some inevitable shittiness with schedule and what not for a while, but you’ll be ahead with career progression, salary, benefits, pension, and an all important seniority number. That’s all just my opinion though coming from a view that it’s really not possible to have a great life as a pilot
in yvr making 40k. Would you honestly say that the good schedule makes up for the pay and lack of benefits?
I agree with what you're saying, but even pre-covid you couldn't necessarily just no-questions-asked get on with jazz encore etc. Anyway, yes, there is flow opportunity to the 1900 in YVR. But a 1900 F/O makes 33k. Yes, you read that correctly. The captain pay is 70k. No pay progression, ever. Eastern bases get paid even less, I believe 31k/60k. 2 weeks holidays until you have 5 years in. As stated above, there is a union attempt in the works, so it will be interesting to see what happens. No one is happy, and no one has bonds left. Forecast for turbulence.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

scdriver wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:13 pm

Well i think i can answer some of your questions.
I was offered this job 3 months before COVID hit, I had just shy of 800 hours of single piston time, it’s not like I could’ve gone to jazz or whatever.
So with 800 hours, the pay is actually quite good compare to other jobs I could’ve gotten.
The thing is, i applied for the B1900 FO position and I only found out it’s for a caravan job on the offer letter, they told me it’d be something like 6 month till i fly the B1900, but nothing in writing.
I can see why people take the job, not a lot of options in YVR area with <1000 hours, and you might actually get onto the 1900 in a reasonable time frame?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Turboprops wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:01 pm I was offered this job 3 months before COVID hit, I had just shy of 800 hours of single piston time, it’s not like I could’ve gone to jazz or whatever.
The the big question. did you take the job ? If so, then I would posit that while everybody else was laid off and whining on keyboards, you were flying, finished ATPL requirements and will be all set now to go front of the que when airlines start hiriing again. While those complaining about how poor the job is that they didn't get, will be wondering how they can get current and marketable once hiring starts....

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:55 pm
Turboprops wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:01 pm I was offered this job 3 months before COVID hit, I had just shy of 800 hours of single piston time, it’s not like I could’ve gone to jazz or whatever.
The the big question. did you take the job ? If so, then I would posit that while everybody else was laid off and whining on keyboards, you were flying, finished ATPL requirements and will be all set now to go front of the que when airlines start hiriing again. While those complaining about how poor the job is that they didn't get, will be wondering how they can get current and marketable once hiring starts....
Nope I took another job flying twins, didn’t even finish training then got sent home in March with no call back right.
Went back to survey for the summer, kept thinking I made a big mistake of not going to Skylink
But the company kept their words and hired me back, so I’m logging multi time now, guess everything worked out in the end.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Has anyone heard if calls have gone out for the Morningstar YYC ATR FO job posted a few weeks ago?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Invertago wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:32 pm I'm not expecting to see the 208 YVR job posting pop up till you see the job board light up across the country. Basically, when the 208 job is available you'll be seeing Encore / Jazz hiring off the street again because the industry will have recovered.
This is GoingMissed from the year 2022. Invertago's prediction has turned out to be correct.

Return to “Employment Forum”