Switch to wheels?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

bd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Switch to wheels?

Post by bd »

Hey all, I'll have about 900hrs by the end of this summer, the majority on floats (cessna 180 and 206). Thing is, I'd like to fly year round instead of just summers but still eventually get on one of Borek's twotters or conair one day.

should i get my multi ifr (more debt)and look for a wheel job to build time(would i even find work in winter?) or would i be wiser to stick to flyin floats in summers?
thanks for your advice,
bd
---------- ADS -----------

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

A Borek captain on floats requires an ATPL, 1000 hours floats, 500 of that on an otter. You've just about got all the float time you need, why not giv'er on floats one last season, use the cash for an IFR and start pounding on the door...
As it stands, a job now is worth the promise of a dozen jobs eventually.
An ATPL requires an IFR, so you'll need one eventually.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Yep. A bush job in hand is worth two in the ... uh ... pavement.

Unfortunately right now the only way to get a multi job seems to be to have multi experience. Wouldn't you be better off getting a float job with someone with twins?

bd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bd »

I'm meaning after this summer should i try to do the wheel thing and get twin time or hold out until after flying floats nxt season (2005). Means I'd not be in an airplane again all this coming winter which sure feels like i'm wasting time.
guess after this summer i could pound doors of outfits who have mixed operations going year round...

Last edited by bd on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I would start pounding doors at the end of this summer. The sooner you try the better, and if you follow up on the contacts you make this year they will come in handy next year if you are still looking. You gain nothing by waiting until next year.

Return to “Employment Forum”