Cathay SO position...

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Murdoch86
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cathay SO position...

Post by Murdoch86 »

Looks like Cathay is hiring again.

I'm thinking of the SO position. I would not mind the change in scenery.

Does anyone know the SO pay?

What everyone's thought on this? What kind of time are they going to hire with? Are they going to take guys with the mins they put in the ads? Or are they going to take guys that are a bit more seasoned.

Any tips on talking to them? I was going to send the ol' resume by e-mail.

Thanks

D
---------- ADS -----------

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

All Second Officer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot's License (ATPL) (obtained without exemptions) or ICAO Commercial Pilot's License (CPL) (obtained without exemptions) with passes in all ATPL ground examinations
A Valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating
A minimum of 1000 hours fixed wing (preference will be given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)
Experience commensurate with age
A current Class One Medical
Fluent spoken & written English

Murdoch86
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Murdoch86 »

thanks I can read the ad too.

I was more wondering are they going to pick ppl with the min or are they going to look at ppl with more time.

I meet those mins. I don't know if I have a chance.

D

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Pretty simple really, apply. If you have a chance you'll find out soon enough. Only those in a position to grant the interview know the answer to your question.

Nothing to lose.

like2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by like2fly »

Unconfirmed, but I think the competitive minimums are around 3000 TT and 1000 turbine.

All the best

Snow Monkey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Snow Monkey »

Check out http://www.pprune.org they have an entire forum dedicated to Cathay. Its under Fragrant Harbour Wannabes

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Fragrant in this case carrying a decidedly negative connotation.

tomajet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tomajet »

Murdoch86,
All you need to ask your self is, could I live in Australia for 6 months then Hong Kong for 2 years and never really touch a plane(HEAVY), for those 2 years.
Your call,

V3-BZE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by V3-BZE »

having been to the SO final interview i can tell you:

3000TT and 1000 turbine are the competitive minimums these days. they have over 16,000 active applications on file so they can be picky.

SO starting pay is about 386,000HK, which works out to about 49,000USD, so i think that's just under $70,000CAD these days. this pay starts on the day you fly to Australia for your training.

i would suggest sending your resume by good old snail mail, that way you can expect to get an application form sent back if you meet the min requirements (1000 hours etc...). if you send an email it might go unanswered as i'm sure they are getting tonnes of emails these days.

you do not spend 6 months in Austrailia, only 4 weeks at the BAE center in Adelaid. the rest of the training is done in hong kong.

2 years in hong kong would be the bare minimum. you can't get a base anywhere until you become JFO which takes 2-3 years. and after that you only get a base if there are positions open there on your aircraft and you have to have the right to work in that country. there are no bases for the B777. when you want to go get command you have to move back to hong kong for a period so they can get you on shorter sector routes. if you want a career with cathay you have to accept that you might never even get a basing and that hong kong will be your home. i thought hong kong was great, but some people don't like it.

pprune does have lots of info on cathay and the recruitment process, but like this site it has more B.S. than real info - you just have to filter through it to find the good stuff.

also check out: http://www.willflyforfood.cc/Cathay%20Pacific.htm
a bit old, but still good info.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

How do the women treat the "Pilots" on that side of the wall?

Return to “Employment Forum”