Break into mark - Prefered Method of contact?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Did you get a Call, Page, Email to your break>?

Got an Email
11%
Got a Phone Call on my CELL
16%
Got a Fax - I've seen corps ask for this #
No votes
Got a snail mail letter
No votes
Got a Phone Call at home
53%
Got a Page
No votes
Did road trip - Hired on the spot
21%

Total votes: 19

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Break into mark - Prefered Method of contact?

Post by LT »

When the employer contacted you what method did they use?

Just curious, some employers only want faxes, mail, e-mails.

But when they get it the way they want, how did they contact you to inform you that you've been hired/considered for an interview?

Cheers,

Curiosity, would it help to have a PO Box, or a "snazzy" cell number, or a good email addy??

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by LT on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

Define 'Big Break'... :P

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

LoL, I edited the title..

Big, any break..

How did you get your "ticket."

Something has to stick out in an employers mind for cell phone #'s?
They have to loathe the Happyfly@Hotmail/Yahoo emails?

It's easier to send notification to PO Box 731 calgary, instead of " 121 beaver damn creek"???

Buffalo Airways has on their webpage "try to hire locals."

Stupid bell screwed me over on that scam, I was gonna setup a pager for their number, and just check the messages, but it turns out the pager has to be in that physically in the region to get calls, so you'd have to let it sit somewhere safe and have the batteries changed by a "friend" or something.

Scam 2, was get a PObox, have them forward the mail to my real address.

Scam 3, again stupid bell, you can't setup a phone line, and have call forwarded to you...

But yeah, crap like that.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Wow, I see that I am the only one (up until this moment) who has gotten his big breaks by e-mail-- amazingly I used to hate e-mail until a few years ago.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

As seen on this and most other forums, when a potential employer actually wants you, they want you yesterday. :roll:

Rarely then, will you get a letter sent out by Canada Post:
  • Generally, the kindly old chief pilot is out driving the trusty 'Ho, when he hears the junior '185 guy talking on '7 to a buddy of his about the new job he's going to on monday, "But not to tell anyone!" :oops: (helpful hint- 123.45 is also a popular freq for job anouncements!)
  • KOCP then contacts dispatch and says, "Hey!- phone that gangly nine year-old kid that brought donuts last week!"
  • Overworked dispatcher calls him on line six only to discover his cell phone is out of the coverage area (Since Gangly Nine year-old is... Driving up to Pickle Lake ).
  • KOCP then says: "Grab the resume on my desk with traces of Krispee Kreme Icing on it, and email the little bonehead! Jeez, why don't these idiots leave a message number??!? :x

WJ uses email.
Forces use letters.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Last time i was in Yellowknife i was talking to a dispatcher who was told to call so-and-so and give him a job. She dug out the resume and there was no phone number, no fax number, no e-mail address. Just a mailing address. Oops.

sparrow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sparrow »

Some prefer a "snazzy" email etc...most others prefer a professional one...all depends on what kinda operation it is :wink:
These days you better reply to your calls in a few hours at the most sleepy sleepy or else there's someone else on the list unless your qualifications stand out..keep a charged cell phone on you with a good signal reception...your only a few calls away from the BIG YES!

merlin
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by merlin »

I haven't received one phone call, email, fax, or letter on any resume I have sent out to date.

Landed the my first flying job when I pack the car full, drove north, walked in the door and was hired on the spot. No interview, just quick look over the resume and reference letter.

Return to “Employment Forum”